Missing rest stops

Not sure if this is the correct forum.

I have had multiple issues with missing rest stops on my 920T. On trips from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati, Northern Ohio, and Myrtle Beach - none of the rest stops are listed as POI's. I keep adding them, but it amazes me that they don't show up.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rich

One thought comes to mind.......depends how you are attempting to add them.

If you are in a rest stop and it is off a main road or highway (as rest stops tend to be), TomTom may not be able to 'save' the information as it would never be able to navigate you to that location, anyway. Same as if you added a poi in the middle of a large field and then later tried to navigate to it. you wouldn't be able to as TT would say 'no route found'. Could be same issue here, I think.

Not adding them

Thanks for your reply. I really don't want to add them, but since they are not showing in the POI db I have to. I have had no problem adding them.

My question is, how can the TomTom map not have rest stops loaded along major interstates?

Anyone else see this issue with the maps?

Thanks,

Duck44

Thanks for your reply. I really don't want to add them, but since they are not showing in the POI db I have to. I have had no problem adding them.

My question is, how can the TomTom map not have rest stops loaded along major interstates?

Anyone else see this issue with the maps?

Thanks,

Duck44

Just to be sure..........

Navigate to --> Show poi on map. You'll first see all the custom poi's you created or downloaded. But, as you scroll further, you'll see the poi categories included with the poi's that came with your 920. One of the categories (they're alpha listed) is 'rest areas'.

So......................

You DO have that checked, don't you? :eek:

Navigate to --> Show poi on map. You'll first see all the custom poi's you created or downloaded. But, as you scroll further, you'll see the poi categories included with the poi's that came with your 920. One of the categories (they're alpha listed) is 'rest areas'.

So......................

Yes, it is checked.

I can get on I-85 and do "navigate to" "poi along route" "rest areas" and still none show for hundreds of miles. Am I the only one that has a map set that shows few to no rest stops? It did manage to find some on the PA turnpike.

Thanks,

Interstate Rest Stops

You are correct, two map updates ago the rest stops were in the maps. Since TeleAtlas was used they have mostly vanished. I use to use them extensively with a warning so we could plan a toilet/rest stop. I have a new 920 and the 7.2 maps do not have the rest areas. Maybe the 8 maps when released will have them. I am going to manually add them to my own POIs.

Can always download them as POI's

I found a POI download at PoiFactory that made up for the shortfall of the TomTom Poi's. I recently took a trip from DC to Toledo Oh and back. and all the rest areas along the routes were identified. It was called Rest Areas Combined and includes a fair number of states.

This might be an option for you.

So......................
I cannot find that on my 930. Options are,
screen 1, Home; Favorite; Address; Recent destination; Point of Interest
screen 2, Point on map; Latitude Longitude; Position of last stop

Change Preferences-->Show poi on map-->(1st screen of preferences) and then scroll down till you see Rest Areas

Would have helped if the poster who gave the first instructions was more careful in what he said..........oh, it was me :eek: :( :rolleyes:

never mind..........:D

I found a POI download at PoiFactory that made up for the shortfall of the TomTom Poi's. I recently took a trip from DC to Toledo Oh and back. and all the rest areas along the routes were identified. It was called Rest Areas Combined and includes a fair number of states.

This might be an option for you.

Great post. This is perfect. Thanks.

Do you know how I get the outhouse Icon to show up? I copied the bmp file into the map directory, but not sure after that.

Thanks again,

Rich

Great post. This is perfect. Thanks.

Do you know how I get the outhouse Icon to show up? I copied the bmp file into the map directory, but not sure after that.

Thanks again,

Rich

Whatever a .ov2 file is named that you download must match **exactly** the associated .bmp file. For example, MyStuff.ov2 should have a MyStuff.bmp file. Having a .bmp file like mystuff.bmp is NOT a match.

So.....with the matching named .ov2 file and .bmp file done, just move both into the specific map folder you are using (like North_America or USA&Canada) and you are good to go ...

Change Preferences-->Show poi on map-->(1st screen of preferences) and then scroll down till you see Rest Areas

Would have helped if the poster who gave the first instructions was more careful in what he said..........oh, it was me :eek: :( :rolleyes:

never mind..........:D
Guess that makes us even.
Just last week I downloaded and then showed a friend that we are not defenceless any longer as all Tim Horton's can now be displayed.
Duh!

Actually, I did tag the rest areas last night (set for a 2 km alert) and made a "Show route demo" on the East bound 401 between Hwy 35 and Port Hope.
Pity that the rest area on the West bound side of the Freeway, with no access, is shown too. Using HOME. a close look at the map will show it on the other lane but, driving and glancing up may not make it clear.
I do not get sound alerts on a HOME demo so I don't know if will play when the POI is on the "wrong" side.

If you play a demo at more than 300%, you get no sounds from the voice selected; I do believe you are correct that sound alerts don't play, regardless of speed of demo.

By the way, I've got the cow sound as an alert for a Tim's. Kinda funny.

If you play a demo at more than 300%, you get no sounds from the voice selected; I do believe you are correct that sound alerts don't play, regardless of speed of demo.

By the way, I've got the cow sound as an alert for a Tim's. Kinda funny.
Thanks.
To make sure I set it at 195 % (after picking points just before and after) and "Jane's" voice came on, as well as the the alert for the rest center. The icon started to flash at 2 km before, as set, and became solid 1 mile (1.6 km) before getting there.

I thought about the cow sound too but decided on none at all as we are passing seven of them between here and where we go for a coffee at lunch time. While typing I am thinking that having noticed how easy I can add/delete the display of POIs I may still use that sound, just leave the POI off until needed.

Now, where do I find the out house bmp or at least the little boy on th fountain in Brussels, Manneken Pis.

You can set the warning to sound only while on route (and then set the distance for the warning to sound head of time). Did you know there are 300,000 Tim Hortons in every town in Ontario? Seems so, anyway :D

Whatever a .ov2 file is named that you download must match **exactly** the associated .bmp file. For example, MyStuff.ov2 should have a MyStuff.bmp file. Having a .bmp file like mystuff.bmp is NOT a match.

So.....with the matching named .ov2 file and .bmp file done, just move both into the specific map folder you are using (like North_America or USA&Canada) and you are good to go ...

Thanks for the info. Interestingly, I could not get the outhouse to work. I used a different one and it worked fine. I guess the bmp may be corrupted, but then again, it is an outhouse :))

Thanks again,

Rich

Ask a Question