Map Upgrade download time.

TomTom Model(s)
XXL530S, GO 2535TM
I'm about at the end of my patience with TomTom. After 5 days now of trying to get my new GO 2535TM up and running I was finally able ot start downloading the map upgrades at 9:30AM this morning. I'm connected to the internet thru DSL and my connection is fast. It's now 12 hours later (9:34PM) and the screen says 55% done! After several calls to Customer Tech Service, I'm about ready to return it to the store. This is foolish. Can anyone give me a clue as to why this is happening? One of the techs acknowledged the slow download problems and suggested that I might want to take it back and get the 550TM. which utilizes the TOMTOM HOME interface rather than MYTOMTOM. Not really what I want but might be the only solution....

Ah - before you pick up a 550TM, look around to see if there are any XXL540TM models available. I've seen them recently - Amazon, I think. The XXL550 models have some reduced menu functionality that some previous GPS users find troublesome. They are also going for a terrific price where you can find them.

!2 hours is obviously ridiculous, cancel it and start again.
2-3 hours is average for a Europe map in my experience, sometimes it's a lot faster.

But I don't think the download times are any faster on the 'Home' interface... they are all coming from the same servers at TomTom whichever PC utility prog. you ar using..

Ah - before you pick up a 550TM, look around to see if there are any XXL540TM models available. I've seen them recently - Amazon, I think. The XXL550 models have some reduced menu functionality that some previous GPS users find troublesome. They are also going for a terrific price where you can find them.

Thanks for the info. I checked local stores (Sears - Staples - Best Buy) and none had the XXL550TM. Which seems odd. I'll check out the 540 TM. Which probably is all I need - all I was looking for in the first place was the abilities of my XXL530S but with lifetime maps and traffic. And I'm pretty sure they had the 540 TM in stock.

Thanks again folks.

Just ordered the 540TM from Amazon - new - $89.99 w/free 1 day shipping. Looked at comparisons and it appears to be the same as my 530S but with Traffic/Maps. And no MYTOMTOM! :)

Thanks again for all of the info.

... ed ...

Just so you know ..........

You MUST log onto tomtom.com (use a DIFFERENT email address from a previous unit) and apply the activation code in the MyTomTom's green box on the right hand side of the screen when you log in.

Sometimes, the site does not accept the activation code in which case you MUST call CS at 866-486-6866 and let them activate at their end.

Lifetime traffic ('T') does not require activation.

Just ordered the 540TM from Amazon - new - $89.99 w/free 1 day shipping. Looked at comparisons and it appears to be the same as my 530S but with Traffic/Maps. And no MYTOMTOM! :)

Thanks again for all of the info.

... ed ...
Heck of a deal, isn't it? I remember when a 1 year map subscription would set you back the whole price of that unit. As for the 540 being 'all I need', I suspect you will find it to be MORE useful than the 550. The 550 has the dumbed down EasyMenu menu structure with some very useful options removed that the 540 has and that you may have been using on your 530S. Now you don't have to worry about being frustrated with missing features, and you've got 5" screen and a map subscription.

Beware and heed dhn's warnings about using a new email address for the new unit. TomTom ties the address to the unit, and if you're on the same computer as you were with the 530, when you first plug the 540 into a current version of Home, it will likely to ask you about that. Nice if you have a real address handy, but since they're likely to just send you advertisements anyway, even a bogus one is OK - just be sure it's different!

Ask a Question