Map Share Survey

TomTom Model(s)
910 w/ v7.10 maps
I have been reading where different people have been getting different size map share updates thru home. Some small, some large. I suspect that it has something to do with the "corrections" you have chosen in the map share set up on the unit.

So lets do a survey.

Here are the availible selections on my tomtom 910, v7.10 maps.

1. Corrections I made myself
2. Corrections verified by tomtom
3. corrections to poi I subscribe to
4. corrections from trusted sources
5. corrections reported by many
6. corrections reported by some

Here is what I have selected on mine:
1. yes
2. yes
3 yes
4 no
5 no
6 no

All my corrections have been small.

In case you don't know, here is how you find this menu: On your tomtom touch the screen- look for the "map corrections" icon -then "download corrections made by others- then you get the above selections.

I do have a couple of questions.
* On #4, who are trusted sources?
* I assume that 5 and 6 are not verified by anyone?

Randy R.

What are "POIs I subscribe to"? If I have a "Best Buy" POI, does that mean all new Best Buys will be updated on my system?

I have been reading where different people have been getting different size map share updates thru home. Some small, some large. I suspect that it has something to do with the "corrections" you have chosen in the map share set up on the unit.

So lets do a survey.

Here are the availible selections on my tomtom 910, v7.10 maps.

1. Corrections I made myself
2. Corrections verified by tomtom
3. corrections to poi I subscribe to
4. corrections from trusted sources
5. corrections reported by many
6. corrections reported by some

Here is what I have selected on mine:
1. yes
2. yes
3 yes
4 no
5 no
6 no

All my corrections have been small.

In case you don't know, here is how you find this menu: On your tomtom touch the screen- look for the "map corrections" icon -then "download corrections made by others- then you get the above selections.

I do have a couple of questions.
* On #4, who are trusted sources?
* I assume that 5 and 6 are not verified by anyone?

Randy R.

Does any know what "trusted sources" means?

I am just trying yo find out what kind of map share updates users are getting. I wonder hiw safe or accurate the last 3 would be?

Randy R.

What are "POIs I subscribe to"? If I have a "Best Buy" POI, does that mean all new Best Buys will be updated on my system?

No, your custom POI files are not "subscribed". TT has no control over your custom POI files.

I think this means one of these...

1. You can buy a subscription from TT for POIs like the Wifi locations.
2. "subscribed" might refer to the TT included POIs you've selected to show on your map. (Only update the ones you use.)

Personally, I'm leaning towards #1 as the correct answer.

Last edited:
1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes
5. yes
6. no

Without #5, I don't see incoming map changes.

I think #2 is imaginary as it does nothing.

I have no idea what "trusted sources" are, but I checked that one initially.

I thought about changes made by "many", but I chickened out.

I wonder what TT considers as "many" or "some"?

Personally I have selected "Changes made by some" as I am confident that TT owners take pride in working as a community to correctly update their maps.

Anyone else also have such a selection?

I wonder what TT considers as "many" or "some"?

Personally I have selected "Changes made by some" as I am confident that TT owners take pride in working as a community to correctly update their maps.

Anyone else also have such a selection?

I started out with just accepting verified, but after a week, I decided to check them all, and accept any changes now. I may back off if I start noticing problems.

Rick

I started out with just accepting verified, but after a week, I decided to check them all, and accept any changes now. I may back off if I start noticing problems.

Rick

I accept any changes, have been doing so for several months. I haven't been misled by any of the corrections I've downloaded so far.

I accept any changes, have been doing so for several months. I haven't been misled by any of the corrections I've downloaded so far.
I too started with 1 through 5 but now have 6 enabled too.

How would one know if it was a mapshare and not the original map that led to the wrong way of that one way street?
I guess one could only find out by checking out a local spot, then submitting a false map share and see if that shows up (not forgetting to submit a correction afterward again).

I was using 6, "reported by some". The only problem I had was a street that was reported as blocked. Actually, it had only been blocked for about a week due to some construction, but I guess that "some" people reported it. I've dropped option 6 since then.

I've selected: 1-5 & not 6.

I'd also be interested to learn TomTom's definitions for: "Many," "Some," & "Trusted," as well as an explanation of their "POI Verification" process. ;)

R?

Last edited:

Ask a Question