Mac user. Refurbed TomTom died!!

This all started when my TT 920 failed and TT said it was out of warranty and that they do not repair such units!! I looked on the net for an independent repair service but none seems to exit for TT devices. So, I bought a refurbished TT 930. It worked fine out of the box. Then I did something stupid. I downloaded and installed the newest beta version of TT Home. After that I had a mess of problems. Mainly I couldn't connect to the computer and I got the infamous blinking red X whether connected or not to my Mac (OS 10.5.6). So after 20 or so emails between me and TT Tech Support with no joy, I called Tech Support. Two and 1/half hours later, it was agreed I should send the 930 back for repairs - Whew.

Ten days later it was returned and worked fine except for two problems:

1) All screen text was in German!! I need English since my high school German was taken 48 years ago!!

2) I could not connect to my TT Account! When I tried to, it saw my address and recognized my Device code and serial number, I got an error message saying I had to wait SIX MONTHS to add the new unit!!

So I sent an e-mail a few days ago telling the TT folks that my latest repaired 930 was given a new set of IDs and how do I get the damn thing to text in English. No reply.

Today, I connected to the Mac and downloaded a newer version of the TT Application. Then I tried to get in but 1) I did not get the "do you want to connect to the computer" in German, of course. Instead, It stayed in the blinking hard drive icon mode. It seemed to be connected to the computer. So I selected Disconnect Device in TT Home and shut off the 930. (this a really stupid way to do things in a Mac world) However when I did so, I got a warning that the device was improperly disconnected and could lead to damage.Ohh boy!

I tried to operate without computer connection but I got the damn blinking red X and so the unit is shot again. After following TTs service suggestions for fixing the blinking X before, I refuse to go through the process again. Does anyone have any suggestions or should I send it back to TT and have them fix it again.

Thanks for listening to my rant

Tom Casselman
(e-mail address removed)

First of all, the language can be changed by moving to page 8 of preferences where you see all the flags and hit that icon. Scroll down to the English listing and select that. Now, everything will be in English..

See if anything here helps for the Red X problem.

Ok...to fix the blinky red X on a MAC

You may have to format the drive. If you have to format it, make sure you copy ASR,loquendotts,vocalizer(may or may not be there),and both maps. After copying the maps, format the drive. THEN, disable the spotlight on your mac. It's at the website, if you search disable spotlight. Only after disabling the spotlight, update the unit through HOME, and then add those folders back. This should work. If it doesn't, contact support and set up the RMA. HTH.:eek:

Format

Save all of the files from TT to a safe place using the Finder. As long as you have these I wouldn't worry too much about the disconnection message. There may be some trial and error but as long as you keep the originals all should be good. Remember that if you do reformat, use the MS-Dos (Fat 32) selection.

Use Home to change/add/delete Navcore files if they are messed up. I also use a Mac and treat the TT as a Mac volume, even though it is formatted PC.

Steve

Ask a Question