Lates Map Guarantee sucks

I got my TTGO720 approximately 20 days ago from eBay. There is a card included in the box ?Last Map Guarantee? so I tried to download the new version 715 of North America. My map is only v705. I connected the device to TTHome and it said that I have the latest version of the map. I called TomTom tech support and spent with tem maybe 2 hours. They asked me to upload proof of purchase even the document included in the box said: ?Offer valid 30 days from the date you start using your TomTom GO 720? - this means not from the date of purchase. They did not want to accept that and said that TTHome would automatically download my new map is I would used it for less than 30 days. I could not believe that and went to buy another unit to Staples. Connected it to TomTom Home with the same result ? no new map available even I had the v705 on a brand new unit. Call tech Support again and they said that they do not recognize invoice from eBay as document for ?Latest Map Guarantee? because I would purchase it from the third party. Does not matter that the box was sealed, does not matter that I have not used the device for more than 30 days and have the right, according their card and web site, to get the newest map. I was disappointed and do not recommend TomTom because of their tech support.

I got my TTGO720 approximately 20 days ago from eBay. There is a card included in the box ?Last Map Guarantee? so I tried to download the new version 715 of North America. My map is only v705. I connected the device to TTHome and it said that I have the latest version of the map. I called TomTom tech support and spent with tem maybe 2 hours. They asked me to upload proof of purchase even the document included in the box said: ?Offer valid 30 days from the date you start using your TomTom GO 720? - this means not from the date of purchase. They did not want to accept that and said that TTHome would automatically download my new map is I would used it for less than 30 days. I could not believe that and went to buy another unit to Staples. Connected it to TomTom Home with the same result ? no new map available even I had the v705 on a brand new unit. Call tech Support again and they said that they do not recognize invoice from eBay as document for ?Latest Map Guarantee? because I would purchase it from the third party. Does not matter that the box was sealed, does not matter that I have not used the device for more than 30 days and have the right, according their card and web site, to get the newest map. I was disappointed and do not recommend TomTom because of their tech support.

Call back and ask for a supervisor.

most manufacturers wont honor a product warranty or anything else unless bought from an authorized dealer...sucks but its true...i got mine off amazon from some lady but i told her to include the receipt from the place she bought it from...tomtom asked to see the receipt and honored my latest map guarantee

They asked me to upload proof of purchase even the document included in the box said: ?Offer valid 30 days from the date you start using your TomTom GO 720? - this means not from the date of purchase. [...] Does not matter that the box was sealed, does not matter that I have not used the device for more than 30 days and have the right, according their card and web site, to get the newest map.

I definitely agree with you! It clearly states "from the date you start USING your TomTom." I bought my gf TT One 3rd for Xmas, but she didn't update it 'till after 30 days. Not sure why or how, but once it was connected and the account was setup, it updated just fine.

Which brings me to another point: what if you have said that you have received your TT as a GIFT, but due to a business trip, you were not able to make make all the necessary updates within the first 30 days? Or just tell them you have no problem returning it to the store (as a store credit) and exchanging it for a Garmin? Usually when you involve the primary competition (i.e., switching to the competition), they usually give up...

But as other have mentioned, in most cases, companies won't let you get updates/exchanges if their product was purchased from a third-party (this goes for warranties (ESPECIALLY), radar detectors, scuba equipment, etc.).

PS. You have PM...

They should just give it to you...keeps you as a happy customer and doesnt really cost them anything...

I had the same problem. I called TT support and he attached 7.15 to my account no questions asked. I did not have to give any proof of purchase. It took about 30 minutes to download and install.

Maybe I was lucky and got the CS rep that knows what he's doing.

By the way, his name is Matt.

I got mine from Ebay also. Saw the update process on this site. Called customer service. Explained the situation to them and that it was paid through PayPal. Informed I could just scan or take a screenshot of the PayPal receipt.
No problem. Service rep's name was Wesley.

Went back to TomTomHome and map 715 is now available.

I haven't been able to download it yet because my internet connection really stinks. But at least it is there for a download.:p

It is really ashame that they do business like this. It really is a great product with major flaws with customer/technical support and basic customer relations

Ask a Question