Lane guidance on a 530 XXL?

I bought an XXL 530 from Target's site about two weeks ago. Just had a chance today to do the map updates and application updates. Target's site mentions specifically that this model has lane guidance, and the demo unit in the store also had it. TomTom's site mentions specifically that the 540 has lane guidance, not the 530. And finally, to make matters worse, if you head to Amazon's site for the reviews, about half of them "love the advanced lane guidance feature" and the other half "wish it had advanced lane guidance"!

I upgraded to this unit specifically for this feature. There are a couple intersections in the DC area that are ridiculous and mess me up every time. My problem is, I don't travel often. I don't think there are any "major intersections" here in southeast VA that would even show ALG. And my next trip to anywhere that will probably show it won't be for another month... at which point it'll be too late to return the device.

To make matters slightly worse in my case, Target's site no longer lists ALG, which should make a return fun.

My question -- is there any way I can test my unit for ALG functionality? As in, is there an address I can travel to and run the simulator to see if ALG appears? Bonus points if it's somewhere close to southeast VA so I don't have to watch it for six hours.

Think you could elaborate on that answer a bit? If you're just saying this because that's what TomTom's site says, then I'd already ascertained that. That doesn't change the fact that lots of reviewers on Amazon are stating that theirs does it, and that the display model at Target visibly switches to the Reality View and has the lane guidance arrows at the bottom left when you watch the demo.

The demo running on a unit at a store is a script. I'd say the wrong script is inserted in that unit.

From all I know and have resarched, that version is not capable of ALG. I've been wrong before.

Thanks.

I just returned mine tonight. Best Buy and Amazon have the 540 on sale for $149, which is only $20 more than I paid for my 530 when it was on sale, so I figured I'd just play it safe and get the "correct" unit.

As an aside, when I returned the 530 to Target, I noticed that in-store they're selling them for $279...!

Ask a Question