Install maps

I purchased and downloaded european maps from TomTom, whilst I was trying to install first of all I could see all the maps tried to install and it said not enought space. Then I got a new sd card and the tomtom froze. Now I can't find the maps. Went back onto my account on TomTom and it doesn't appear to let you download again. Where are my maps? Thanks

I think I purchased and downloaded maps and then realised I hadn't got TomTom home on this computer so then downloaded that, although not sure now in what order I did do it!

Now when I put the original card ( TT Rider) in Home comes up with the european maps (but I still don't know where they are on my computer) how am I then meant to get them onto the new 2 gb sd card. If I swop the cards over home tells me installation stopped as disconnnected and the first time I tried install maps it said not enough room (which I know there isn't) . If I start off with new sd card in TT Home says no device connected although icon at bottom of computer shows connected. What am I doing wrong?

If you connect the unit to Home and go to Manage my Device, it'll show what you have on the device and what you have on the computer and where.

After doing a reset then updating my TT rider it then let me load the european maps onto the new sd card - this took about 2 hours when at last finished I thought great but no now the TT says 'no maps' then keeps flashing up the corner select but I can't do anything. On home it shows everything as being on there. Should I not have loaded the Rider application on to the new sd card?

Can you look at the contents of the unit using Explorer. Look in the specific map folder and see if you find a file ending in the extension of .meta.dct.

If not, that file is likely still residing in the compressed downloaded map folder found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

You'll see it in a file within the cab file called something like activationxxx.cab. Extract it from there using WinRar and use Explorer to copy it to the map folder on the unit.

If it IS there, there download and run 3 times the Clear Flash tool found here:
Using the Clear Flash tool to resolve TomTom device issues

Today the stupid machine won't even switch on. We have tried the reset but no joy. We have had this problem ever since we have had the machine and in the first 12 months sent it back but Tomtom said it was all fine. We can go for periods like yesterday when it switches on and off fine and reset works but today no joy. I am now ready to chuck it out the window. We are off all over europe on Saturday hence spending ?60 on maps that I can't use and it now appears you have to be a computer expert to get them to work. Thats if I ever get it to switch back on.

UK support is: 08451610009

Hopefully, supermod Mikealder who is UK based may pop in here and give you some suggestions.

(The battery is charged in the unit, isn't it?)

Lets see if we can locate where Home has saved your map download on the PC, Start the Home application on the PC (device doesn't need to be connected for this), along the top of the Home application you will see "Tools" select this followed by "Home Preferences" click the "Folders" tab and look at the folder path associated with "Downloads"

Use Windows Explorer on the PC to open the folder found in the para above, can you now see some files/ folders. if so whats listed in there? - Mike

It show in dowload/complete/maps - map, phonedb, program,voice
map/western central europe
I went in there yesterday to look at files like the other person said and two files were zipped so I extracted the western central europe one - I don't know if I should have done that
The tomtom still won't switch on this morning when it did switch on the sd card showed nearly full so looked like everything had copied onto it so presumably something is corrupt or not copied acrosss successfully
Thanks for trying to help me

Now when I put the original card ( TT Rider) in Home comes up with the european maps (but I still don't know where they are on my computer) how am I then meant to get them onto the new 2 gb sd card. If I swop the cards over home tells me installation stopped as disconnnected and the first time I tried install maps it said not enough room (which I know there isn't) . If I start off with new sd card in TT Home says no device connected although icon at bottom of computer shows connected. What am I doing wrong?

If you have a blank SD card (2gb is the max a RIDER can see), use winrar to extract the contents of this file onto the card, stick it in the rider, and turn it on until it says "no maps found". Then plug in the rider to the computer and try "update my Rider", and update the application only. Do this repeatedly, until HOME upgrades to app 7.901.

Then try to add maps via HOME.

Map Update

I'm having what sounds like a related problem. I just got off the phone with support. They had me wipe out the internal memory, check disk, and then reload the application. I'm still getting the out of space error when I try to load the new North America map. They're having me download it again. The kicker is that I was told that if this doesn't work, then I'm screwed since I'm out of warranty. I had a usable device, now I have a $450 paper weight. I can't believe a company would just abandon their software so abruptly and ruin any chance of me, my team, my friends, my business contacts, etc., ever hearing a good word about the company. Has anybody else found such lousy support? Are there others having this same problem with map updates? Mine is a Go 920 and I just don't believe that this is anything more than a software issue. Thanks for any help.

As dhn has said the easy way is to add an SD or SDHC memory card, if you don't want to spend anything on the card and don't use the speech recognition feature you can delete all the Cspeech_XYZ.dat files from the Western Europe and North American map folders, having done this the new map will fit but the memory card option is a better long term solution - Mike

Map Update

Thanks guys, I appreciate the assistance. It looks like a new memory card works just fine, which is a $450 relief. I figured that there had to be other options than, "that's all the troubleshooting we can do, sorry." I think I'll just turn to the forum in the future rather than call support. Cheers.

Look at it this way, KC.

If CS gave the right answers all the time or even most of the time, we'd have to close up forums like this one! :D

Ask a Question