I need a TomTom [speedometer]

First of all Hello

I am from Toronto, and I am in need of a GPS that shows the speedometer. My truck's speedometer (peterbilt) stopped working couple of weeks ago, The cost to replace the speedometer is around $1K
So I figured it would be cheaper to just get a GPS that has a function of a speedometer.

So I need you guys to help me out . Please recommend me a good GPS that has a really good function of displaying the vehicle's speed. It would be even better if the GPS showed the speed on full screen.

so yea I'm not really familiar with which TomTom GPSs but I do know that I need one, really fast. and the one that will display the speed in huge numbers, on the full screen of the GPS.

Please help me out, I would really appreciate that.
thank you.

Hello fellow Torontonian,

The TomTom displays the speed, albeit with a rather small display in the corner of the screen. The unit will also 'beep' when you go 5 km over the speed limit.

There is also a 3rd party piece of software called Tripmaster which, with a bit of work, will work with the TomTom's newer firmware. It will display a very large speedometer. You will find plenty of references to this program on the forum with instructions as to how to install it.

Hello fellow Torontonian,

The TomTom displays the speed, albeit with a rather small display in the corner of the screen. The unit will also 'beep' when you go 5 km over the speed limit.

There is also a 3rd party piece of software called Tripmaster which, with a bit of work, will work with the TomTom's newer firmware. It will display a very large speedometer. You will find plenty of references to this program on the forum with instructions as to how to install it.

hello,

which TomTom unit will this program be most compatible with?
I was thinking of this one
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10101256&catid=#

but I'm open to suggestions my price range is around $400 CAD

please let me know
and thanks for the response.

hello,

which TomTom unit will this program be most compatible with?
I was thinking of this one
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10101256&catid=#

but I'm open to suggestions my price range is around $400 CAD

please let me know
and thanks for the response.
I won't give you any advice as I only know my GO 930 CAD 499.99 at Best Buy but have a look at your Future Shop advert. The see larger picture is just a hint under the true size you will see on a TomTom.

This is a good price. The One XL should serve you well.

Here is a link provided by forum member Runarg:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=7973

It shows you how to install Tripmaster.

The Tripmaster website is here:

http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/tripmaster.php?lang=uk

------------------------------------
thanks for the links. I have a question. I'm stuck between these two GPS units

TomTom GO 720 Bluetooth GPS Navigation System $339CAD
TomTom One XL GPS Navigator (330S) $249

so by looking at those specs, which one do you guys think would be the best?

---------------------------------

I also found another program called GPS sentry
here is a screenshot of it
gps_ss_ani.gif

Would it possible to install that particular program on any of those two GPS units?

http://classic.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=16855

someone also told me to check out Mio GPSs. they said that MIOs are more hackable and have many free application.
what do you guys think about that?

thanks

Last edited:
Here is how tripmaster would look.
sometimes I just stick the tomtom in front of the speedometer.

Attachments

• pictures 053a.JPG
    pictures 053a.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,076
With the 720, you may be paying for stuff you will never use, like bluetooth cell phone connectivity, play mp3's, and other stuff.

The XL is a straight forward navigator. The maps are the same for the 2 units, so the difference is the bells and whistles.

GPS Sentry works only on PDA's (Palm Pilots, etc.)

Sorry, but I don't know anything about Mio products. I'd go with the XL.

With the 720, you may be paying for stuff you will never use, like bluetooth cell phone connectivity, play mp3's, and other stuff.

The XL is a straight forward navigator. The maps are the same for the 2 units, so the difference is the bells and whistles.

GPS Sentry works only on PDA's (Palm Pilots, etc.)

Sorry, but I don't know anything about Mio products. I'd go with the XL.

thanks

I'm also leaning toward XL, but while I was browsing through bestbuy's website, I stumbled upon another GPS
Garmin Nuvi Canada GPS Navigator
The price is same as the XL, its $249
10106494.jpg

from the screenshot it looks like this one already has a tripmaster built in.

What do you guy think? I know I'm on tomtom forums asking about a garmin gps lol, but still I would like to know if this has any advantages over the tomtom xl

thanks.

The Garmin could be your solution. It seems to garner great reviews too. Yes, it appears to have a Tripmaster-like program built in.

TomTom should learn from this. If they try to stifle 3rd party programmers like the French fellow who created Tripmaster, they should at least offer us these features.

Convert 350XL.M with a Trip Master?

Hi I got reasonedly a Tom Tom XL350.M and would like to add a Trip Master program to it.
Could anyone please advise me how I it could be done.

Thanks Scouter Harold

Ask a Question