How to do screendump?

Thanks again Spook for the joke... I mean info ;)
No problem. Glad I could help.

please let me know if the 'reaction time' is slow on yours too. your ONE I mean...
Curious. It is lightning fast on my 910, responding almost immediately (except when it planning a route or otherwise 'thinking', when there is a considerable lag). I haven't actually tried it on the ONE yet, I will do.

Perhaps it is to do with the write speed of the SD card? After all, the captured file has to be written to the card. I would guess that the HD in the 910 is faster.

...I seriously doubt this will work.
Humble pie hamproof? ;)

Hey this works! But Gaaawwwwdd is it slllllowwwwww. About 20 seconds after I touch the screen i hear the camera 'click'. Now to see the images it catches...
Curiouser and curiouser! I just tested on my ONE NE and took 10 captures on various screens. They each took exactly 3 seconds between press and camera noise. Slower than on my 910, but not painfully slow in the way that you describe.

Are you using the original SD card still? Or did you go for a (possibly slower) replacement?

I have no idea about the filenames that are created. Maybe it is some sort of unix timestamp?? All I noticed is that they are numbered sequentially.

I did however notice that the screen freeze the moment I touch to take a snapshot, so I don't have to worry about what it took as a picture. I think you are right about the speed of the SD-card...which I can test tomorrow. I have a new card coming that writes @ "27" and reads @ "32". Don't know what suffixes the numbers off the top of my head but it's designed for highspeed digital cameras...No access to a card reader @ work and no usb cable to connect my ONE to the office PC, so I'll post some shots tongiht...

Spook, thanks again. Anyone else trying to do this the trick is to show your file extension in Windows (and however a MAC does it) so that when you choose "new text file" you can remove the extention to make it a "capture" file not a "capture.txt" file.

This is going to come in real handy and SUPER easy.

PS Spook... nice Navatar ;) Looks a bit better here with the black background heh?

Last edited:
update

You just want an image of the screen showing on the TT right?

If so, there is a much, much easier way to do it! And you can do it anywhere, without cables...

1. Attach your TT to a PC, and choose to open/explore the TT,
2. Create a new folder in the root directory of your TT, and call it 'screen' (without quote marks),
3. Go into the new 'screen' directory, right-click and choose 'New..' > Text Document, type 'capture' (no quote marks) then hit enter, then enter again at the prompt (are you sure you want to, blah, blah??).
4. Safely eject/remove the TT from the PC.

Now (here comes the clever bit!), whenever you want to capture the screen, just press the top-left corner of the TT screen. You will hear a 'camera' noise. An image (or images) of the screen is now saved in the screen folder you created! :)

I have a tomtom one v2. I did this. It doesn't seem to work. A couple of questions:

Should I see an icon on the screen in the top left corner?

The top left corner is the+ sign. When I click there it just zooms in? I have clicked around it with no luck.

Does the impage store in the text document?

Thanks

You won't see any icon, and pressing the screen corner should just take the picture and not zoom (so you will probably want to disable this when not taking screenshots, although I use the remote to zoom my 920 so it's not a problem for me).

Browse your TomTom while it's connected to your computer and confirm that there is a folder named "screen" and that it has a file in it named "capture". I use macs and unix, so I'm not real clear on Windows issues, but I gather that a common problem is that your software may be appending an extension to the filename. So, for example, if that file is named "capture.txt" or "capture.doc" the screen dump won't work.

Confirm that this isn't the case. You may have to change a preference somewhere in your software so that it shows file extensions.

I have a tomtom one v2. I did this. It doesn't seem to work. A couple of questions:

Should I see an icon on the screen in the top left corner?

The top left corner is the+ sign. When I click there it just zooms in? I have clicked around it with no luck.

Does the impage store in the text document?

Thanks

You need to make sure that the .txt file extention is not there, then this will work, there is no icon, but like it says will make a camera sound. Fantastic thread

here is an attachment for those who are having problems,

all you need to do is extract it all to the root (first) folder on your SD card.

Then click on the + arrow, your'll here the noise, then you can view the images on your pc as a normal picture. Or if you have a PDA you can view them on there and even send them via email if needed.

HTH

Attachments

• screen.zip
    126 bytes · Views: 251
Screen Shot

I tried what Spook said and it worked fine. Now that the screen shot is there I can not zoom the screen out. It will zoom in but not out. Got and ideas. I see the remote works. I forgot that I had that. I do not use it. Guess I will now.

Last edited:
Glad to be of service

I am glad that people are still enjoying this little trick.

As has already been mentioned, when screenshot functionality is enabled you will not be able to zoom out (or in, if you set up your TT to be left-handed). This is unavoidable I'm afraid. The options are to disable it when not using it (the simplest way is to rename the screen folder, e.g. /screen-off), or use the remote. Or you could just remove the folder when no longer needed.

tbell, as mentioned in my original post the screenshots are stored in the /screen folder.

Kinjo, thanks for attaching all the files for those less technically adept. That was a good idea.

Note to people having trouble - follow the instructions exactly (especially 3.) and it will work. If you create a file with a .txt extension, you are not following the instructions!!

If so, there is a much, much easier way to do it! And you can do it anywhere, without cables...

2. Create a new folder in the root directory of your TT, and call it 'screen' (without quote marks),
3. Go into the new 'screen' directory, right-click and choose 'New..' > Text Document, type 'capture' (no quote marks) then hit enter, then enter again at the prompt (are you sure you want to, blah, blah??).

Now (here comes the clever bit!), whenever you want to capture the screen, just press the top-left corner of the TT screen. You will hear a 'camera' noise. An image (or images) of the screen is now saved in the screen folder you created! :)
Worked PERFECTLY. Thanks!

As has already been mentioned, when screenshot functionality is enabled you will not be able to zoom out (or in, if you set up your TT to be left-handed). This is unavoidable I'm afraid.
I'm very glad to say that this is NOT correct! You can have screen dump active and zoom in / out at the same time:) I have used this setup for many years, and it still works on my GO720 / GO920. You just press a little to the right of the + sign, and the screen zooms!

Last edited:

I tried this and it didn't work. The zoom key is in the upper left corner. It just worked the zoom, I never heard a camera noise, and it didn't save a screen shot. Am I supposed to just name the text document capture, or am I supposed to wite that in notepad and save that as text in the document file?

I tried this and it didn't work. The zoom key is in the upper left corner. It just worked the zoom, I never heard a camera noise, and it didn't save a screen shot. Am I supposed to just name the text document capture, or am I supposed to wite that in notepad and save that as text in the document file?

Using your favorite text editor (note pad works fine) and create a blank text file named 'capture'.
  • NOTE: There should be NO extension on this filename (i.e. don't use the name capture.txt.... only use the name capture) and all letters should be lower case.
Save this file in the directory 'screen' that you created earlier.

Hope this helps.

Using your favorite text editor (note pad works fine) and create a blank text file named 'capture'.
  • NOTE: There should be NO extension on this filename (i.e. don't use the name capture.txt.... only use the name capture) and all letters should be lower case.
Save this file in the directory 'screen' that you created earlier.

Hope this helps.
That's what I did. Is there some kind of icon that you tap, or it just makes a camera noise when you click on the + zoom sign?

That's what I did. Is there some kind of icon that you tap, or it just makes a camera noise when you click on the + zoom sign?
Nope, just tap the + sign. There's about a one or two second pause, then it takes the screen shot and you should hear a click like a camera shutter.

BTW, you tap in the 'upper left hand corner' (not upper right). If your + sign is in on the right then you must have your TT set for left-hand operation. To activate 'screen capture', you tap upper left corner.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J0ey2024

Latest Threads

Back