Help installing 3rd party apps and intro

I've been around here for a little bit, reading and learning what I can but now I have a question:

I would like to install Tripmaster, I found the link, downloaded 2.0, but i don't know how to install a third party app. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance from the newbie.

I'll move this post to the 3r party software forum.

I don't have experience with 3rd party apps but I'm sure many there do.

I've been around here for a little bit, reading and learning what I can but now I have a question:

I would like to install Tripmaster, I found the link, downloaded 2.0, but i don't know how to install a third party app. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance from the newbie.
On that site, there is a section called "How to install Tripmaster?"
Have you read that yet?
Let me know where you get stuck.

I am having similar issues installing tripmaster. Here is my device vitals:

XL-s app 8.01, map 830.2322

I followed the installation instructions which as far as I understood is extracting to root of drive. I am using an SD card where I updated maps and added POIs so I know the SD card and communication to the device is working. I even tried the patch for the 8.35 which I don't believe I have but still no tripmaster icon on the main menu screen.

I powered off device and also pushed the reset button on the bottom. Is that all that is needed to perform a "reboot".

I also tried the tomPlayer app with similar results of not having the icon show on the main menu. Is the XL-S not supported for 3rd party apps?

Thanks for any help!

...is extracting to root of drive. I am using an SD card ...
That's your problem.
By default, "root" mean the internal memory's root, not external SD card root.
The .cab file must be modified and even though, there is no guarantee it would work.

Thanks for the reply.

I was under the impression that "root" changed meaning if you are using internal memory or SD card so since I am using the SD card I am extracting to the root of the card and not internal memory. I assumed that if you are using the SD card the system completely ignores the internal memory which is why you have to copy the entire internal memory footprint to the SD card.

The files and folders sit on the root of the SD card so should it work?

Thanks Piano for your reply and please advise if you have further info.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I was under the impression that "root" changed meaning if you are using internal memory or SD card so since I am using the SD card I am extracting to the root of the card and not internal memory. I assumed that if you are using the SD card the system completely ignores the internal memory which is why you have to copy the entire internal memory footprint to the SD card.

The files and folders sit on the root of the SD card so should it work?

Thanks Piano for your reply and please advise if you have further info.

Theoretically, yes but the point is by default, the 3rd-party tools such Tomplayer or Tripmaster, link to the root of the internal memory, so no matter where you put it, it still points to its root (which is, again, the internal memory), that's why I said its .cab file must be editted so that it will point to the new root, the SD card.
If you really want to try out, I can give it a try but again, no guarantee it will work.

I see... If you have time to play with the cab file I would be happy to test it and try it out. I bet this is the problem that the OP is facing as well.

Thanks!

Theoretically, yes but the point is by default, the 3rd-party tools such Tomplayer or Tripmaster, link to the root of the internal memory, so no matter where you put it, it still points to its root (which is, again, the internal memory), that's why I said its .cab file must be editted so that it will point to the new root, the SD card.
If you really want to try out, I can give it a try but again, no guarantee it will work.

not entirely true. depends on the model I guess. My one runs tripmaster and all third party apps from the sd card. In fact, to actually run from the sd card you have to copy the internal files to the card, so in one sense you're correct. in the case of some models running sd cards, the card is the root.

not entirely true. depends on the model I guess. My one runs tripmaster and all third party apps from the sd card. In fact, to actually run from the sd card you have to copy the internal files to the card, so in one sense you're correct. in the case of some models running sd cards, the card is the root.
Can't disagree with you, flyer :)
I totally believe you since you do get the real experience while I am only talking about the theory as I never run anything off the SD card.

Thanks for your help. I was running completely from the SD card as the new maps were too large for internal memory. I returned the XL-S and got the 730 as it was only 149 refurb from amazon. It seems to work on the 730.

Thanks Piano for helping out!

Ask a Question