Gps will not boot

First off, I bought this gps from a thrift store. It has never been hooked up to my computer. When I got home I tried to plug it in and it got stuck on TOMTOM screen. After holding the button for several seconds I get the green screen. Hold it a little bit longer get the drumming TOMTOM screen. Then I get to the black screen with the specs on it. I uploaded what it says in the picture. From all the other forums I have read it says to click connect to computer mine does not do that. I read one forum that said change the compatibility I have done that still nothing. Have changed usb ports. Nothing. I have changed cords, again nothing. The green light does come on at the bottom where you plug it in. I have left it turned off and plugged in over night. When I plug it in it is not showing up in windows explorer. When I go to device manager it shows nothing and even when searching for devices nothing is shown. I have also downloaded both Tomtom home and my drive connect. I am at my wits end. ANY help would be nice. Thanks :)

Attachments

• 10668211_10154624898355354_1051525501_n.jpg
    10668211_10154624898355354_1051525501_n.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 395
When you plug that model into your computer, it should show up as an external drive, much like a thumb drive, and should be visible as such when viewing "My Computer".
MyDriveConnect won't be used for that model, it will be Home.

Let us know if it appears as a storage device. If so, we'll have you poke around to see if the maps are still resident. If they are, we can probably get this thing working again.

So I went and bought another cable tonight and finally got it to show up. While I wait for a response I will look and see if I cant find the answers and let you know when I get it on. Thank you.

Good to hear that it's being recognized now.
If you have TomTom HOME installed, and if it isn't automatically starting when you connect your unit, please start it manually. It will probably offer to update one thing or another. If so, please cancel that operation using the "Back" button when it gives you the opportunity to do so.

Next, we need to see what you have installed in the way of a map. Let's see what Home says about this.

Once Home is running with the device connected, let's see what it shows for the unit's inventory. Click the blue 'right arrow' and select "Mange my GO". Our focus will be on the tab "Items on device". First, click the + next to "Applications" and then "More info..." and tell us what it says for "Version".

Then hit "Back", and similarly click the + next to "Maps", then "More info..." and give us both the name of the map up at the top (e.g., "USA & Canada") and the version number for the map.

If at any time you choose to disconnect your unit, be SURE to do so properly with HOME, using the little blue and white arrow thingy in the lower right corner of the HOME screen, or the pull-down tab at the top for Device / Disconnect device.

Thank so much for your help. I got it all fixed last night. I plugged it in backed it up to my computer and updated everything and I registered it to my name and everything works fine! Now I will play around and figure out how to use it :)

Ask a Question