GoLive renewal problem

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live 1534TM
Hi --
I have a golive1535TM and the golive function lapsed on 28 Sept. (I've renewed it once already, last year.) I renewed it online yesterday, 6 Oct, and I have confirmation via email from TomTom that it was renewed. However, I can not get it to show on the device that it is renewed. The confirmation email gave a link to a UK address on how to get the device to accept golive. I live in the US; I don't know if the device works differently here. None the less, I need help in getting the device to get renewed.

First off, I live out in the country about half way between Dallas and Houston; we often do not get the radio signal to pick up. That is, on the right hand side of the main display -- the one with the map -- the little wheel goes round and round. I don't know if the radio signal is required to reregister. I understand that the MyTomTomAccount button is supposed to bring up a screen allowing you to login.

From the main menu, click Settings, right arrow to MyTomTomAccount and clicking on that does nothing; the button darkens to acknowledge that it received a press, but nothing changes and no new screens appear.

From the main menu, pressing LiveServices takes me to two screens with six buttons each -- two are blank -- that say: Traffic, Safety Cameras, FuelPrices, LocalSearch, Yelp, TripAdvisor, Expedia, Weather, Twitter and MyServices. Pressing MyServices takes me back to the first of these two screens of 6 buttons each.

When I press DriveTo... and select a destination, on the page with the map to your destination, there is an insert at the right that gives the time and milage to the destination. When I press the Live tab on the top of that insert, I get the message: "your subscription has expired!" and there is a button with the word, Renew, on it. When I click on that, a screen with a list of subscriptions I've held appears. The last words on each of the subscriptions are, "Select to renew..." When I click on one of the items in the list, I get send back to the screen with the inset with the button, "Renew."

So, am I doing something wrong?

Is the radio (GoLive) needed to register?

Do I need to plan a drive of 50-75 miles to get into radio range (atmospherics lets me connect -- no wheel -- about 50% of the time here) to try it with the radio working?

Is there a way to register while online without the radio on?

I am tempted to press reset, but the last time I did that it took a good while to get everything put back together. My wife is taking a trip on Thursday, and plans to use the TomTom. I am not sure that she would do all the log in stuff to register if I am not there, but one of the reasons for taking the TomTom is for the traffic avoidance option on GoLive.

I could not find anything on support.tomtom that helps, nor could I find a phone number to call for direct support. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ptlycldy

Thank you, dhn, for your fast response. I'll give them a call first thing in the morning.

Ptlycldy

Don't confuse RDS traffic with Live traffic! The RDS is what picks up the subcarrier info from FM stations, and yes, you need to be in a major metro area to receive this, and must be using the cable with the little 'egg' in the middle of it. If in town, you could use that to get at least a half decent view of major arteries in lieu of Live traffic.

Live, on the other hand, is a superior service (better coverage and resolution) that is managed over cellular networks, and as long as you're within range of an AT&T 2G cellular site, your device should be able to communicate with the system. It's that which you are trying to renew.

Ask a Question