GO630 Custom POI's

TomTom Model(s)
Tom Tom One XL
I've recently upgraded from a One XL to a GO 630. I've copied the ov2 and the associating bmp file from the old unit to what I thought was the map folder on my new 630.
I am using an 8GB SD card for my 630 and when using explorer I see a folder named North_America_2GB and that is where I have put those custom POI files I created. I must not have them in the right place as they do not show up on my 630.
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

TIA,
klirette

It's one thing to have the ov2 files in the proper map folder (it appears you do). It's another thing to signify you want a specific poi category to show on the map.

Preferences-->Show poi on map. Your category should be listed. Check it off.

I wanted to verify what you replied but I have tried that before and even after you suggested it and they do not show in the list to put a check in the box to have them show on map.

Are you sure your map is North_America_2gb and not USA_Canada? Regardless, do you have any other custom ov2 files in your map folder and do they show on the list?

(also try a reset of the unit).

They are there now. I'm not sure how I got them to show up but they are there now.
How do I do a reset? will it effect my SD card?

I think the 630 has a dedicated reset hole in the bottom of the unit. If so, you use a paperclip and insert it into the reset hole. If the 630 does not have one, resetting is accomplished by holding the power button for about 10 seconds.

No, the sdhc card is not affected by the process, you may have to reset the time.

But, if they ARE showing up, no need for the reset, anyway.

It is really strange. I have a SD card in the slot and when TTHome starts it askes where the instalation files are. I have to select teh 8 GB SD. But I figured out that the custom POI's I have do not show up unitl I copy them to the internal memory. That doesn't make sense to me.
How do I make the SD Card the default install location?

Custom ov2 files go in the specific map folder, wherever the map folder is placed. If on a sdhc card, then there. If on internal then there.

When you do havea sdhc card installed on a unit, upon boot up, TomTom Home asks what to select (not to install anything necessarily, just what storage location to select to start).

You could have a map on sdhc card and select to start on internal and the application will still utilize the map (and its poi files) if the map is on the card.

Ask a Question