GO 730 broken screen replacement?

Hello everyone.
I have a GO 730 and it fell off my windshield and landed on my gear shifter and the inside screen cracked. the touch overlay is intact but you can see that one of the layers inside is cracked.

Does anyone know if this can be replaced if I take it apart? if so, where can I find replacement screens? Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Sarah

Hello everyone.
I have a GO 730 and it fell off my windshield and landed on my gear shifter and the inside screen cracked. the touch overlay is intact but you can see that one of the layers inside is cracked.

Does anyone know if this can be replaced if I take it apart? if so, where can I find replacement screens? Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Sarah

How old is it Sarah? I have seen where TomTom refuses to fix screens, even if under warranty but you don't know if you don't ask.......

Here is a link to an online gps repair site:
http://videoservicestop.com/gps/index.htm

Disclaimer: I don't endorse it. I just found it by searching.

Good luck.

Hello everyone.

Thank you in advance.
Sarah

Another PSU fan.. woohoo! I would try the company dhn posted in his link...there aren't a lot of choices out there right now.

I to broke my screen on my device. I took it back to FS and they wouldn't take it back. Called TT support and they basically told me to pound salt, and they would sell me a new unit at a discounted price... Funny thing is their so called discounted price was more than what i paid at FS... I may have a solution though...

Sarah,

I just went through this with my 10 month old 720. The touchscreen and the inner LCD panel were cracked by the snap on my 'deluxe' TT leather case, after my friend sat on it.

TT Support won't fix it. Period. No physical damage covered under warranty AND... they won't even let me PAY them to fix it. They offered me a $100 'customer loyalty' discount from them on a retail price of $469. No thanks.

The link DHN posted above, he can replace the touch screen, but not the LCD. He said if he could find a source of the screens he could do this.

My 4 year Best Buy warranty? Sorry, they don't cover physical damage.

So I bought a refurbished one off Amazon. It went bad the first trip. Kept hanging, speed would freeze, updates would freeze. Now I have 'returned' that one and have a brand new one. It works just great. Don't ask.... :rolleyes:

Bottom line is you have a $400 paper weight just ike I have. One day the guy at the link above might be able to help us.. ??

I am writing a letter to TT, support doesn't cut it.

I was given this address:

TomTom N.V.
Rembrandtplein 35
1017 CT Amsterdam
Netherlands

HTH.

Gerry-

Last edited:
darn, things aren't sounding too good. yeah my TT is like about 3 months old right now, this happened about 2 months ago too. I tried talking with their tech support and got the same response as all of you did..trying to sell me at a discounted price etc.

Unbelieveable. I'm going to try to find a non-working one on ebay I think. And I'm going to try that link. I guess it's the LCD screen that's cracked..im not sure. because the outside screen is fine it just doesn't respond to touch.

Hmm. Thank you soooooo much for the responses.

re:

Well Ive been looking and I found a few websites which will repair the GPS. Also there was a repair kit on EBay someone was selling that was cheap which included the LCD screen. i just have to make sure that the part number is the same on the screen. anyone know if the 730 is the same as the 720?

Well I was able to open up the unit and look at the LCD screen. The screen isn't cracked, but the touch screen part is, actually the thin glass behind it. I guess this is the digitizer. I found a replacement on eBay for 79.00 but this seems high for just the glass part. Besides, you'd have to take more of this apart which isn't that easy. Oh and you said the 720 and 730s are the same?? are they or no? The ebay seller gave me a different part number for the LCD screen in the repair kit she had for the 720. Hmm.

I've included some pics to show you. this pic shows the backside of the LCD and where the digitizer actually connects to the LCD. its covered over with tape and very fragile.
1126081443b-1.jpg

This second pic shows it taken apart with the touch screen digitizer on the left showing the glass cracked. The right is the actual LCD screen itself, intact.

1126081443a.jpg
<br>

basically, im not sure if I should pay for someone to fix this or try it on my own. I could do it defnitely if I could find the replacement whole LCD/touch screen on my own, but i dont think i could do it just the digitizer alone. What do you think? Here is the item link from ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TomTom-Tom-Tom-Go-730-LQ043T3DX0E-Touch-Screen-Digitize_W0QQitemZ350126465079QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPDA_Accessories?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Sarah

The second day of owning my 720, the 720 fell out of its case while I had the wrist strap through my wrist. Stupid me forgot to zip the case. I had my hands full and my phone rang, I didn't pay attention to the fact that the zipper wasn't closed.

The 720 fell on the smooth concrete garage floor, then bounced onto the driveway where it slid. The SD card has flown out as well across the driveway and landed on the street. Thankfully no cars ran over the SD card. The device suffered some scrapes on the vinyl portion on the back of the device, where I was able to just rub out the scratches. The device powered up with no problems, and nothing broke.

I'm glad to know that there are places like eBay where you can order either the touch screen or the LCD itself. I thank you for that link. I will keep that seller in my favorites. Let us know what happens with the new touch screen. $79 is not alot for a part you cannot find anywhere, plus TomTom REFUSES to fix their own product even if you offer to pay.

If you need lcd or other parts the best place to go is here the have original parts .

[live link removed by moderator - if you're attempting to sell your repair service as you have posted it in numerous posts, please contact our forum administrator regarding paid advertising]

http://www.satnavservice.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question