go 720 screen went dim, replace?

Hi all. I have loved my go720 for a couple years, but all of a sudden the screen went very dim. No settings were changed, and I went through all the settings to make sure it wasn't user error.

Anyway, any thoughts on a fix? Or a link to instructions on how to replace the screen?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome to TTF.

Just to cover all bases......

You don't have it checked to show night colours? (that will dim the screen).

You didn't somehow slide the brightness slider to a low percentage?

Your battery is charged?

Correct, all settings are good, I've slid the brightness control back and forth several times to try to "kick" it back to working properly. Fully charged. It is malfunctioning for sure.

Any thoughts on a fix? Or a link to instructions on how to replace the screen?

Thanks

There is no link here to replacing the screen as such. There are links to replacing the battery in models such as the 730 which show taking the unit apart but not specifically replacing the screen.

I'll give supermod Mike a 'heads up' to provide feedback here....

It could be the backlight or the inverter that's packed up, best bet is to change the front screen as a complete assembly rather than the screen itself, e-bay is probably a source for a damaged x20/ x30 - Mike

my lcd screen on my tomtom go 730 is damaged, just waiting for one to be sent to me from a great bloke on this forum ;), hopefully ill let you know how is easy or hard it is to change a screen...

my lcd screen on my tomtom go 730 is damaged, just waiting for one to be sent to me from a great bloke on this forum ;), hopefully ill let you know how is easy or hard it is to change a screen...
You'll find that it's a piece of cake providing you don't do like a couple people have done and get carried away lifting the latch on the flex connector. It's NOT designed to be pulled full vertical. Just lift it enough to release the cable.

ok guys .... i got my screen today thanks "MIKE ALDER ;)"..took the old one out, very easy, just the connecttor and ribbon cable...now ive put it in my tomtom go 730...and i was expecting it to come to life but....the screen lights up but is blank..so put the old one back in and that one works fine, apart from the fact that its got a crack in it half way across the screen, but it works, just about make out the menu, display etc...voices work too....im thinking mothernoard issues...can anyone help ?..ta

I assume you have tried pressing the reset button on the base of the device, I know the screen was working prior to leaving here so unless the software on the device has got screwed up the fault must be on the main PCB - Mike

hi mike - yes , i did do a hard reset, held the reset for about 40 secs..still the same issue..however i heard the tomtom drum noise and then thats it..blank screen...do you mean the software on the actual internal drive may be screwed up ?....im gonna see if i can connect to tomtom home.. or see if the pc recongnises it..

Last edited:
Connect it to the PC then switch it on, use Windows Explorer to view the contents of the drive letter associated with the unit, if it is screwed up try copying your backup to an SD card and pop that in to the slot, the device should then boot from the memory card - Mike

Connect it to the PC then switch it on, use Windows Explorer to view the contents of the drive letter associated with the unit, if it is screwed up try copying your backup to an SD card and pop that in to the slot, the device should then boot from the memory card - Mike

ok just borrowed my neighbours tomtom go 520 unit...gonna try the screen in his..he wouldnt know i opened it lol...:D..screen is perfect works perfectly in his go 520...i backed up whatever was on the internal memory of my faulty go 730 to my desktop...deleted everything and formatted the internal drive on my go 730....connected to home...took the update...ie, installed navcore 8.351 for my unit...unit reebooted but sceen is still blank...:eek:....hmmm motherboard issue ?.its strange that it works on my broken lcd screen, yet nothing shows up on a perfectly good lcd screen..?????????

Last edited:

Ask a Question