Full screen speedometer

Hi all, I'm trying to find a way to run a full screen speedometer off my TomTom ONE XL HD Traffic.

It is currently running
App 8.010,
GPS v1.21,
USA_and_Canada v825.2159

I've tried installing TripMaster, including adding the Plugin_Hook, and modding the file as listed by the author. All that I have accomplished with that is causing my TomTom to lock up, requiring a reset and a deletion of the files. I used UltraEdit to edit the file, also as the author suggested, but no dice. By install, I mean copy contents of the ZIP files to the root directory of the TomTom, as suggested by the auther.

OpenTom.org appears to be lifeless. They have no forum for people to talk about the programs and development, their IRC channel is a ghostroom. Of the 2 applications listed in their list, one seemingly no longer exists and the other fails to work.

I'm not a programmer myself, just a guy looking for a way to run fullscreen speedo. I use my GPS as a speedo on my bike, and if I'm not actively following a route on the GPS, I want to be able to go fullscreen with the speedometer.

Can anybody recommend something for me? I rather like how my TomTom performs, so I'm not seeking a custom firmware or other OS, just want to have a fullscreen speedo.

I don't think it's possible, if Tripmaster won't work for you..
I certainly haven't seen anything newer or better than Tripmaster.
The main problem is that TomTom stopped producing or supporting the "Software Developers' Kit", which was the gateway to producing any third-party add-ons.

The TT software is now a closed book and very hard to tinker with in any meaningful way, so developers are either struggling to keep previous gems like Tripmaster running, or have simply given up and moved onto other projects elsewhere.

Very sad IMHO, and a very blinkered decision on TomTom's part.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm trying to find a way to run a full screen speedometer off my TomTom ONE XL HD Traffic.

It is currently running
App 8.010,
GPS v1.21,
USA_and_Canada v825.2159

Can anybody recommend something for me? I rather like how my TomTom performs, so I'm not seeking a custom firmware or other OS, just want to have a fullscreen speedo.

Lumpus, you could try an older TripMaster version (ver 2.5). If you need it, I have a copy and would be willing to post it here upon request.

1. Unzip TripMaster v2.x on your computer – should see 3 folders
2. Make a new folder on your TomTom called tripmaster.
3. Copy / paste the entire tripmaster folder contents (not just the folder) into your TomTom tripmaster folder.
4. Make a new folder on your TomTom, called SdkRegistry.
5. In the SdkRegistry, copy / paste the tripmaster.cap and .bmp files to the TomTom SdkRegistry folder.
6. Change the TomTom.mnu file in your TomTom SdkRegistry folder to reflect the new program.

IF you do not have a TomTom.mnu file on your TomTom, you will need to set it up in order for your newly-installed tripmaster program to show up on the TomTom's menu. Again, I would be willing to help you get it set up upon request. Also, see TomTom Menu Designer Beta 1.12

I hope you can get TripMaster up and running. I've used mine with my Honda Shadow for 3 years and love it!

Last edited:
I'd be willing to give it a try. I want to use my GPS on my bike instead of my phone, but so far I'm finding tons of GPS apps that work on my phone lol.

I'm willing to give it a go, just wish there was still support. I want a nice looking speedo lol.

I'd be willing to give it a try. I want to use my GPS on my bike instead of my phone, but so far I'm finding tons of GPS apps that work on my phone lol.

I'm willing to give it a go, just wish there was still support. I want a nice looking speedo lol.

Lumpus, the process of adding a 3rd party software will require some basic computer procedures - hookup to the GPS, transfering files, making folders, etc. Therefore, before proceeding to make any changes to your TomTom, it is recommended that you make a backup of your TomTom just in case something goes wrong and you need to reinstall everything to its present working configuration. Please see Super Moderator dhn's excellent post

You can find a copy of TripMaster v2.3 which I posted a number of years ago here. After downloading it to your computer, you can follow steps 1 - 5 on my previous post. Step #6 involves modifying the TomTom's menu system so that you can see the TripMaster program. NOTE: I (or other forum members) can help with the menu modification step. Use of the alternate menu in step #6 will result in the (temporary) loss of the use of several regular TomTom menu items. I believe one is losing the function/option to make Map update notifications to TomTom; can't remember the other one. I didn't miss either of these, but if you need them, then it's a simple matter of making a change to one TomTom file with your computer, which will then reinstate all original TomTom menu items.

Let us know of your progress. Good luck!

Holy crap I got it working. I played around with that menu creator before, but then after you posted this last one I still didn't know for sure what I had to do, but staring at the screens and all, on a whim I added the SDK to the menu, and left it at item number 1, and POOF! tripmaster now shows up and runs. THAT is why I could not get 3.1 to work.

Ohhhhh I am happy as a fat kid in a cake store right now...

Now to change the backgrounds to something more my liking....to match my bike :D

Ok, in addition to getting it all working, I now have a couple custom backgrounds to use with the program!

My Photobucket username might be a little unsavory for some folks here, however Photobucket now appears to offer custom URL's for the picture folders. Here is the URL leading to the 3 custom screens I now have, as well as screenshots of them in action.

Pics here

I'm still playing with the colors of the numbers, but I'm trying to keep them something red, since this will be front and center on my bike, and red is better for your night vision than other colors.

Way to go, Lumpus! Life is good when we can help you get something to work correctly! But, "Ford" ??? (smile)

Happy biking!

:D

Ask a Question