Favorites restore question.

TomTom Model(s)
Well I just updated my firmware and map. Guess what? My favorites are gone. Can I get them back from my backed up location? If so what is that. Also my old map was just that old. Waiting for the non-stuttering version to come out. Will copying a file from an old map and overwriting it to a new map work? I appreciate any help I can get.

Your custom settings are in a file called MapSettings.cfg which is stored in the specific map folder on your unit (and backup hopefully).

It used to be a reasonably easy thing to simply copy the file from a backup to the new map folder and all your favourites, etc. were back.

But, with the advent of firmware 8.3x, people have had problems in going that route. Many have found with the new maps (8.15 and now, 8.25), that their units would go into an endless loop of rebooting when they started up their tomtom's. The new firmware causes a new mapsettings.cfg file to be created and blowing away the older one, even if the rebooting doesn't happen for some.

I have read but can't verify that if you connect to Home, create a new favourite with your old file copied over, then all your old settings do re-appear.

You CAN try it and see.........

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's what worked for a member of a British forum:

Deleted the new mapsettings.cfg file to see if it will start - it does.
Put the old mapsettings.cfg back in and ran up home and it could read the old format file. deleted a favourite I didnt want. And yes it reboots with all the old settings now in the new version.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
That worked fine for me. I did not even have to do the first step. I just shut down HOME, copied the mapsettings.cfg file over, restarted HOME and deleted a Favorite.

Was a lot easier re-entering one favorite than all the missing ones.

Sure don't know why TomTom can't do that for us after spending that much for a new map. :confused:

Well Favoites and kept in the NOrth American maps under a file called Mapsettings.cfg. You have to find a copy of your old North American maps double click to go into the tom tom folder. Click on NORth American Maps. And in this folder find mapsettings.cfg. right click on this file and left click and copy. Then go to the new downloaded North American Map Go into this folder and then right click and left click paste and overwrite file. Good luck

Well I simply copied the file (Mapsettings.cfg) from my backup, started Home and modified one of the favorites. That gets you out of the re-boot loop.

Wish I would have found this sooner. I lost all my setting like my home location and such and spent a half an hour redoing everything.

I got stuck in the endless reboot loop but just deleted my config file and started over. :rolleyes:

My turn to try it. TomTom is pushing their quarterly updates, but I can't imagine they'll keep their customers happy by deleting their favorites and other settings every three months! I SO want Google to buy TomTom. :)

* First, I did an "Explorer Backup" of my unit, giving me two backups today (one for the old map, one for the new map).

* Then, I copied the MapSettings.cfg from my old backup to my unit. I knew I was copying the right one, because it was 16k instead of 3.15k.

* I used Windows' "Safely remove hardware" function to unmount the unit. Like from my Linux box, that doesn't trigger the reboot like shutting down from Home does. When you close the connection between the unit and the PC by unmounting the drive, you just pull out the USB cable and the unit reboots.

* My Favorites and Home settings were back where they were before! Hooray!

I didn't end up with a reboot loop, and I didn't have to do any delete/re-add to get my favorites to show up. I suspect that by keeping HOME out of the loop, I may have prevented the glitches described before.

I did just notice one thing, though. My unit is a ONE, not a GO. Perhaps the mods could sticky this thread in a more generic location -- or is it already there and I missed it?

Maybe I was a litle more lucky than you guys, I did copy the config. file over and it just simply works, HOWEVER, I spotted a few of them were gone, weird, ehhh but I re-entered again, won't take long.

Well I simply copied the file (Mapsettings.cfg) from my backup, started Home and modified one of the favorites. That gets you out of the re-boot loop.

What do you mean by "Started Home and modified one of my favorites"? I have a 920 and I don't see any way to edit my favorites from TomTom Home. I'm running 2.6.1.

And by "Started Home", did that mean to manage the favorites using the "Operate My Go" feature of TomTom Home?

Thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to be sure before trying to get a Windows XP system up and running. Since I'm running Linux and Windows 2000 at home I don't have ready access to a PC that runs "Operate My Go" successfully. Now that I have connected to an XP PC, it ran fine. I was able to "Rename" one of my favorites (and just renamed it back), and that eliminated the continual rebooting.

Thanks again.

I would like to says thanks for your help. I have a 940 Live and after copying my mapsettings.cfg file across after today's map update it went into a loop. I followed your instructions to go into Home and use "operate my go" to delete a favourite. I then disconnected and it started up as normal.

Thanks again.

Docked my ONE 3rd Ed, but DID NOT connect to home. Opened the TomTom in Windows Explorer, copied and pasted my old MapSettings.cfg onto the TomTom, thereby replacing the old file. Used "Safely Remove Hardware" to disconnect the TomTom the proper way, then unplugged the usb cord. Upon reboot, all was restored and I did not need to edit any of the favorites. I did not have an infinite reboot.

I was so happy a few months ago... the deleted-favorites glitch went away. I upgraded my map (using the subscription that I paid for), and my favorites were not deleted.

I figured the same thing would happen this time. WRONG. The unit went back home to 42nd Street in NYC, and all the favorites were blown away.

Lucky for me, I know to do a full low-level file backup before upgrading maps. I was able to restore my favorites again using the method from this thread.

But all in all, I'm glad I bought a Magellan GPS for my daughter's birthday. I like hacking my unit, but for someone who just wants to get from point A to point B, how can I recommend a unit that loses its mind when you *pay* for a map upgrade?

I havent had that problem myself. I am on the latest maps and only that one time did I have to reset all my settings and favorites. maybe I just got lucky. :)

I was so happy a few months ago... the deleted-favorites glitch went away. I upgraded my map (using the subscription that I paid for), and my favorites were not deleted.

I figured the same thing would happen this time. WRONG. The unit went back home to 42nd Street in NYC, and all the favorites were blown away.

Tomtom tried our method of retaining favorites (copying mapsettings.cfg) a month ago in an earlier version of HOME, but there were ton's of complaints on this forum and others because of favorites-restore-induced rebooting (see this fix). I assume Tomtom call centers were flooded with issues, so they decided to pull the "copy mapsettings.cfg" fix soon after in the next HOME release.

They now changed to a new client-based favorites retention process, however that process is only available on the 9.022 application, and it's not yet available for your One 125 (don't know if it ever will be). So far 9.022 is only available on the 140, 340, and european x50 models.

Ask a Question