Error Code 1008

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live 1005 App12.055.1124410.74 Map Europe 885.4007
Thought my update went to smoothly.

When logging into traffic getting the following error message

Error Code 1008 Warning there is something wrong with your SIM card. Please contact Tom Tom customer support.

I am in the process of doing this but at 1800gmt probably will not get through till Monday so any comments welcome.

Julian

Following the above discovered that tomtom support are aware of problem.

Thought I would restore my backup and informed that the sd card was invalid and so no restoreavailable even though that was the one that was in the unit.

Last edited:
Well, we know you're in the UK, and have one of the old SIM cards! That's where the problem is occurring.

Yes, TomTom is very aware of the problem, and you should expect an update to 9.400 very soon.

Are you running your application off your SD card? If not, I don't understand the message you were getting. How did you do your backup? With Home or your operating system?

Hi I am running the unit from my SDcard and have both explorer and home backups.

Below is a copy of the fault log.

ERROR: Note: Some volumes (for example, a storage card) that were present during a previous backup are not currently present on your navigation device, and cannot be backed up or restored.
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1061
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:80
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/ui/subtask/restore/restore.js:72
errorCallback(errorStrOut.value);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:80
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
5. function _startCommitFunction chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1057
{
6. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1021
}
7. function onPageChange chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:681
]]></body>
8. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:467
}

Time: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:29:08 GMT

The sdcard has not been removed or changed. as the unit is working well,bar traffic, will stay as I am for now hoping for no traffic jams assuming the fix is not to long

Thanks for help

Julian

Thank you back to 9.058 see if it finds traffic in the morning at least the error message has gone and showing connected to network.

Thanks Julian

Hi
Made the mistake of updating the operating system late on Sunday evening and believe me Monday morning I was not a happy soul. Found this fix by doing a Google search, followed the process listed above and now have fully functioning live services again.:D Got stuck on Monday morning in a huge jam and had nothing to help me avoid it.:mad: I also use the local google search function significantly and was lost without it, I was expecting to have to wait until TT finally got around to developing a fix. Not really impressed with the support they offer.:rant:

Thanks again

Spanner-do

Glad you found us here. Have to believe the solution will be readied soon. Too many unhappy users, and TomTom is WELL aware of the problem.

24 Feb error 1008

This is a bug in the new app. software. First line support say DO NOT delete new version and then reinstall old version from Home. (This was suggested when the same fault occurred on the last app upgrade.) Second line support have said a bug fix will be available ASAP

Well, we know you're in the UK, and have one of the old SIM cards! That's where the problem is occurring.

Yes, TomTom is very aware of the problem, and you should expect an update to 9.400 very soon.

Almost a week, doesn't look like there's a fix out yet. Any idea how much longer it wil take?

Almost a week, doesn't look like there's a fix out yet. Any idea how much longer it wil take?
I have no way to know what the timeline looks like at TomTom for bug fixes, but I do have experience with what it is like in another industry. One week would be incredibly quick for any software change other than the wording of an on-screen message - and even that type of change might take longer.

The problem is that it is necessary to do a lot of testing to make sure that you have not broken something else in the process of fixing this bug. When thousands - or even tens or hundreds of thousands - of units already in customer hands are potentially impacted, the prudent course is to "Make haste slowly".

Having said this, I would be surprised if TomTom does not get the fix out in the relatively near future, just because of the visibility of the issue.

- Tom -

Error 1008 fixed?

I have tried using Live Services and logging into my account from the Go740 and there is no Error code flashing onto the screen. All seems to be working well!

@stuartgc
It could be that you do not have one of the problem SIM cards that causes this problem. Not all UK users are impacted by the 9.400 code issue.

Error code New App

Sorry but I did have the problem and reported it yesterday pm.to TomTom. That was why I posted the First Line response. This morning the 1008 code had gone and my 740 was in touch with the Live Services server. All seemed to be working. NOW the error code has come back and I am told I have a faulty sim. This is very annoying. I am now waiting with everyone else for a fix.

Ah, OK. Thought you had heard this elsewhere - didn't realize it was from personal experience. I think you're the first to report that it comes and goes. Here's hoping that 9.401 gets completed soon. Those of us with Live units really do come to depend upon that service.

I have no way to know what the timeline looks like at TomTom for bug fixes, but I do have experience with what it is like in another industry. One week would be incredibly quick for any software change other than the wording of an on-screen message - and even that type of change might take longer.

The problem is that it is necessary to do a lot of testing to make sure that you have not broken something else in the process of fixing this bug. When thousands - or even tens or hundreds of thousands - of units already in customer hands are potentially impacted, the prudent course is to "Make haste slowly".

Having said this, I would be surprised if TomTom does not get the fix out in the relatively near future, just because of the visibility of the issue.

- Tom -

Thanks Tom, the Engineer in me understands that software fixes do take time, and testing can take even longer. As a Customer I'm frustrated that this seems like the same problem we had with the last software update, and once again it's really made me realise how much I rely on the real-time traffic updates. We had some road closures yesterday, and I know I'm going to hit a lot of traffic on my way to the office tomorrow (Monday), and without Live updates the TomTom is pretty useless. Just to rub it in, my Live subscription runs out soon, reminding me that I am paying for this service which is now broken.

Is there any way TomTom can get the fix out to those of us that need it, without having to release it to the whole TomTom user base? Most other software vendors have maintenance releases or special fixes which they can get out sooner than a fully tested release...

No, they won't be issuing a separate release for those only at risk of having the SIM that causes the 1008. There will be an across-the-board release when it happens. The Engineer in you probably also knows that nobody in Engineering likes any extra code branches when they can be avoided!

Second time this has happened

This is the second time my 940 Live service has stopped after an update.

I can't believe that having made the mistake once, they messed up again....

Surely whatever fixed it last time, should fix it again or is that too simplistic....

In fact, the update solving the 1008 error has been released today as announced somewhere else on this forum as well.

Regards
Lars.

Error 1008

Dear Lupus,
This is what the website says (still):
"Error 1008 on some GO 540/740/940 in the UK

Back to search results

Some GO 540/740/940 devices in the UK get Error 1008 when using LIVE services after updating to Software 9.400.

We apologise for the inconvenience and are currently working on a fix for this issue.
To keep up-to-date with the latest news about this new service, subscribe to this page by clicking the Notify me link at the end of the page. We'll send you a mail when more information is available."

I am not aware this constitutes a fix neither can I see any link to one on this Forum. Can you provide some further help?

Hi,

okay, sorry. I just saw that dhn only now posted it here as well. It had appeared on some other forums already earlier including the official forum where I also got the information from a TT employee. Some users already applied the Navcore 9.401 update and the error 1008 has been solved for them.

Regards
Lars.

Ask a Question