Erased info on TomTom ONE?

I'm in a real pickle folks.
Just bought a TomTom ONE without an installation DVD. Unit worked fine, so I downloaded the latest version of TomTom Home on my computer.
As it asked me to update, I did so, and went on line to the TomTom website.
During downloading with the GPS hooked up to the computer, something went wrong.
(can't remember what happened, what error messages it gave me.)
Now I have a TomTom ONE gps, with no function, and no DVD to re-install the program. The only info on the unit I have is the info on the outside printed on the unit.
When I hook the gps up to my computer and try to explore the gps, it doesn't show any info (no mb, or any info on the drive).
The gps powers up, but not getting the info screen. All i'm getting is a Tom Tom screen. With the card in it, it shows a cross on the card. Take the card out of the unit, it shows to put in the card.
Looks like the card is empty,or corrupted. When I tried to defrag the unit(which can't do either), it shows about 938MB on the unit, but can't access anything on it.
What to do????
Good gps, but no installation dvd.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Highflyer

First of all, there is no such thing as an installation DVD. The disk that comes with the unit does NOT contain a copy of the map and operating system. I believe it just has the Home program. This is why it's so important to do a backup before doing anything else like upgrades.

As for the SD card, this is for extra stuff. The unit's internal memory is all that is required to make it work. So don't bother with the SD card.

(However, if your unit is entirely black, you have a v1. And in this case, everything is on the card as there is no internal memory. Does your unit have silver on it?)

When connected to your computer, the unit should show up as an external drive using Windows Explorer. If the operating system files got corrupted, the general advice is to delete all of the loose files (those that are not in folders). Then start up the Home program and it should download and install the new operating software.

But you said that there are no contents at all showing up with Explorer? :mad: Not good!

This sounds very much like what happened to me on my One V2 the first day I had it. It worked fine on the way home from the store. I installed Home from the Tom Tom site and hit the update button. No warning to back up what I had, but I learned later, that might not of helped (See below). All I could get was the Tom Tom drums and the Red X. Windows Explorer would not read the TT drive.

I used a different computer at the office the next day, after downloading Home there, and had the same problem. Phoned TT service and eventually she had me format the TT drive through Windows (FAT32) and reload the Application she put into my TT account, then load the map.

About a week later, I had the TT hooked to my home computer and did an update. It wiped out the TT drive again. Same symptoms. I called TT service and they went through flow chart and offered to replace unit. After I hung up, I formated drive and reloaded maps. No problems since then (March 2008). But, I have not connected to that computer since. I have used two other ones to do updates and MapShares, but not the original computer. I assume there is a problem in the USB port/connector that dropped communication and, hence, corrupted the TT disk.

My suggestion: Call TT service and have them walk you through their flow chart, then suggest reformating TT and have them make Firmware application and latest Map available in your account. You may want to use a different computer incase your computer USB is not woking well with the TT.

Ask a Question