Directions played through car speakers

I am very disappointed with the iphones loudspeaker when directions are being given. Is there any way to have the tomtom app give instructions through the car speakers. This is the setup I am hoping for, is it possible.

Iphone 3gs with tomtom app, plays instructions through car speakers, music mutes when an instruction is given. Parrot handsfree linked with iphone mutes everything when call comes through.

You can get iPhone car holsters which transmit the audio output on a radio frequency, so that you can tune in your car radio.

I haven't tried one myself but it sounds interesting.

I guess you could also buy a car radio with Bluetooth on it, which would presumably do an even better job.

No, the fm transmitters only work for music. Anybody else know how we could get tomtom directions playing through the car speakers, iphone speaker is crap.

I use something called iO-Play fitted in between the stereo and the car wiring which lets you Bluetooth the iPhone to the car for music, nav apps audio and handsfree works a treat - Mike

You can use the car kit Bluetooth to Bluetooth. However that only gives you voice when you do music from the phone to the car stereo. This would be the same with Ford's sync.
Another way would be via head phone jack to aux in on the car stereo, same here only the phone and what is on it would be heard because the radio would have to be set to aux.
If you want the radio of the car to be the master then the best way would be via Bluetooth or aux out to an aftermarket speaker mounted, say on the visor.
When using the car kit the phone is connected to the kit via Bluetooth pairing and the speaker in the rear of the kit is live. If you wish to hear it via the car's radio you can use an aux out on the kit to aux in on the radio but you only get the iPhone music/voice not the car stereo.

Have a watch/ listen to the sound on This video, the audio is playing from the stereo, the audio from the iPhone is sent to the car via Bluetooth and is working fine, there is NO music playing on the iPhone - Mike

Way cool as they say on this side of the pond. If I may be do bold my first of many questions.
What car
Type of radio
The manufactor of the radio
Is the audio a function of the Car stereo setting. In other words is the radio's audio switchable via sensing an input from the Bluetooth feed.
Enough for now but I am very interested.

Way cool as they say on this side of the pond. If I may be do bold my first of many questions. .
A few answers for you:

What car.

Type of radio.

The manufactor of the radio.

The radio was bought from Here although its a double DIN size deck so won't fit in too many cars, cheap unit though when you consider what it can do.

Is the audio a function of the Car stereo setting. In other words is the radio's audio switchable via sensing an input from the Bluetooth feed.
Enough for now but I am very interested.

The audio is fed from the iPhone to the cars iO-Play module, the iO-Play provides all the control and switching of the audio source, the car deck does support Bluetooth but I don't use it as I prefer the iO unit, you can read about the accessory on This web page (note the car had a different stereo back then) - Mike

Thank you. I need to tale it out for a test ride. Ah but the wheel is on the wrong side for this side of the pond. But in truth this would solve some major proplems with Ford's Sync. Again thank you.

Ask a Question