Differences between 2006 maps ... Major Roads of Us and Canada' as opposed to 'NA'

Hi all.

Is there a reason to use 'Major Roads of Us and Canada' as opposed to 'North America'?

Is there an advantage to using 'New York' as opposed to 'North America'?

Is 'Guam' and 'Puerto Rico' included in 'North America'?

Thanks.

There are three contiguous mapsets that you should be interested in:

- Major Roads of US & Canada (122MB)
- USA & Canada (896MB)
- North America (1.4GB)

Major roads are just that -- major roadways (good for small memory cards -- for planning long, multi-state trips).

USA & Canada is a complete map, with the following POI categories removed:

Church
Dentist
Doctor
Government office
Law courts
Legal/other
Legal/solicitors
Shop
Veterinarian

of these, the 'Shop' category is the one that's most glaring. Without it, you'll be missing POIs like Wal-Mart, supermarkets, local retailers, etc... The mapset was designed for those that still use 1GB cards.

The "North America" mapset is complete, and is identical to each state/group of states, as well as the six regional maps (so there's no advantage to having an individual state map if using NA). The advantage to using the full NA map is that you can plan an interstate/inter-region trip without switching maps.

Last edited:
Another difference between the North America and USA/Canada is water masses. The little lakes and rivers. :)

The NA maps were set up for the TT devices with the HDs, as TT only supplies 1 gig chips for the others (It might cost them all of $5-10 more if they came with 2 gig - which work fine)

Phantom,

Hopefully you are experienced and your answer trustworthy.

SO, if I got the TT GO 910 with [North_America] map and [Western_and_Central_Europe], I should not need, for example, [France], as the one on my GO 910 contains the same map of France.

I'm ignoring POI, only maps. I did notice lots of Radar..BMP VER and VER with my unit. What are these for?

TIA

-= BoomBoom =-

OK, I'm totally confused. I just bought a GO 910, only 3 days old. Yet according to the TOMTOM site, my maps are out of date, and I have to pay a s/h of $6. FWIW, I pay less than $1 when I ship CD's. USPO "Priority Mail" is $4.05 with the PO giving me a box!

There is no reference as to the version numbers AND the maps I will be receiving for the "$6". This makes it very difficult to gauge how old my maps are compared to the ones I will get for "free".....

Furthermore, I'd be interested in knowing how often maps are issued, and the time factor for receiving these so called "free" maps .... as it may be beneficial for me to wait for the next release.

Somewhere there must be version numbers and dates released for the maps.

My North America map is:
North America', ID North_America(-17696406,1791629,-5260429,7271531)00 IL #1 1258928 KB Version 650

>Internal referenced as:
>ID=North_America.pna
>1574423623
>650
>build=1108
>id=46030
But NO DATE! However the file stamp "4/20/2006"

Interestingly, these ID numbers and build do not appear in the report given by the "TOMTOM Home" interface.

Very confused..... but I'm a newbie....

-= BoomBoom =-
in TomTom "LaLaLand"

Last edited:
Latest version of MAPS is 655 (see my signature). when are they released? I don't know. I got my ONE for christmas. The $6 is well worth the cost... you will ALWAYS have a hard copy backup of your MAPS if you ever accedentially earase them... that in itself is worth it. You get more than just the NA MAPS on the DVD too. You get another actication card that will allow to you activate each and every MAP on the DVD if you choose to install them.

If you don't lik the new maps (read about the diferences in versions all through the forums) as long as you have a backup, you can alwasy go back to the old version.

OK... Thanks "battom"

Just curious, could you paste the numbers from the maps that came with the "Upgrade DVD" for:

[North_America] .and. [Western_and_Central_Europe]

Located in the referenced folder with the ending .pna
Maybe a product code .or. date from the DVD might also help.

My Original files intalled on the GO 910 xxxxxx.pna files contained:
=====================
D=North_America.pna
build=1108
id=46030
++++++++++++++++++
ID=Western_and_Central_Europe.pna
build=1052
id=38915
=====================
The above came pre-installed with my GO 910 bought 3/6/2007.

BTW, if you are Windows based, you can use a great file manager/tool called "Total Commander" from www.ghisler.com

TIA for the forthcoming help.

-= BOOMBOOM =-
in "discovery" mode

Last edited:
Hi all.
Is 'Guam' and 'Puerto Rico' included in 'North America'?

Thanks.

Lets be more friendly when answering posts/questions.

Sorry cenfu, Guam is not included in the North America maps.
Guam considered seperate. Im not sure about Puerto Rico. I'll look into that.
on the OEM ONE SD card, there is a seperate folder for Guam listed. Also, in preferences, if you select manage maps and then change map, you will see guam listed seperately.

I have a 910 and I also have a seperate folder for Guam.

They are both seperate...
But I notice that Canada is part of North America. :)

Both Guam and PR are on the DVD, but you have to install/use them seperately.

Last edited:
OK... Thanks "battom"

Just curious, could you paste the numbers from the maps that came with the "Upgrade DVD" for:

[North_America] .and. [Western_and_Central_Europe]

Located in the referenced folder with the ending .pna
Maybe a product code .or. date from the DVD might also help.
Post my product code won't do much good for you in finding the lastest version of maps. I don't have Europe maps either sorry.

> won't do much good for you in finding the lastest version of maps <snip>

OK.... Thanks for the reply. It's just that I heard 660.1219 was the latest for [Wetern_Europe].

Off to tech support.....

-= BOOMBOOM =-
a bit less Noobie <g>

You get another actication card that will allow to you activate each and every MAP on the DVD if you choose to install them.

I'm just wondering, I recieved the new maps yesterday and installed the [USA and Canada] which is 800+MB (according to memory) and I used the activation code.

Now, on the instructions it says I can only use the code once so if I decide to buy a 2GB SD card will I still be able to install the [North American] maps after having used the code already to activate the [NA] maps?? Does that make sense?? LOL

Well all I can say is I don't knwo how many times I've played with my multiple SD cards, wiped them clean, done reinstalles, and what have you... I've yet to have a problem activating a map with my code.

I'm just wondering, I recieved the new maps yesterday and installed the [USA and Canada] which is 800+MB (according to memory) and I used the activation code.

Now, on the instructions it says I can only use the code once so if I decide to buy a 2GB SD card will I still be able to install the [North American] maps after having used the code already to activate the [NA] maps?? Does that make sense?? LOL
not a problem. I think as long as you use it on the same device, you can install/uninstall/reinstall as many times as you want.

Same here, I've installed and reinstalled, a dozen times with no problems with activation codes. :D

Ask a Question