Creating a ITN route for the Go740

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom Go 740
Well ive tried everything that I know to try before coming here and begging for help.....So, I guess I just need someone to slap me up longside the head and straighten me out. I have created routes using google maps and then took that and used the HOUGHI.org site ......created the route file and took it into my TT. Everything was good so far till I actually tried to use the route.....it had me going in two to three different directions and none of them the right one. It seemed like the TT was doing its own thing on mapping out my route instead of using the route that I created. So, after that I thought I would give TYRE a shot.....same thing happened, created the route file....put it in the TT in the itn folder.....the TT sees the route file and loads it.....but when you try to follow the route in your car it goes nuts....takes you everywhere but where you want to go. Oh, and by the way, when I loaded the route, i selected the shortest route when asked so that it wouldnt or shouldnt try and use the IQ routeing. If anyone has a clue to what Im doing wrong, and I feel like it is me and not the TT that is screwing up somewhere...heh heh I would sure appreciate hearing from you. As far as the 740 goes it does a fantastic job of routing and finding poi's....only problem I have had so far is what I described above. Thanks in advance

Good news: you probably didn't do anything wrong. That the way it is.
Bad news: you have to "enforce" TT even more so that it routes the way you want.

As I mentioned many times
1. Tomtom gps unit only loads "the waypoints" that created by other tools such Houghi or T.Y.R.E, it does NOT load the route that plotted by those tools. In fact, it routes the way it thinks best, as long as it will route through those waypoints.
2. Houghi site is NOT reliable NOW.
3. ENFORCE Tomtom unit by create MORE waypoints along the route. Strongly suggest using T.Y.R.E, not Houghi.

>> So, after that I thought I would give TYRE a shot.....same thing happened, created the route file....put it in the TT in the itn folder.....the TT sees the route file and loads it.....but when you try to follow the route in your car it goes nuts....takes you everywhere but where you want to go.

Did you check the order of the waypoints in your Itinerary ?
With TYRE , when you press 'Copy' that's the order of the Waypoints that your TomTom will follow. Sometimes you have to move the waypoints up and down to suit your need (load the Itinerary, make the changes then resave).
Putting the waypoint(s) on the wrong side of the road also results in weird routing.

creating itn files

Well after playing with Tyre I found out I think what the problem was.....the particular route that I created and kept messing up had all the waypoints in the order that I wanted. After reading in here and playing around enough finally realized that the very first waypoint that I had in my route was being skipped by me because of how I would initially start the route. I had the very first waypoint but had to go around the block which made me miss that particular waypoint......so, TT was still trying to get me to go through that point which i didnt so it was just trying to get me to go back and complete that first waypoint. I finally created a new route and had it layed out exactly like I wanted to go and things seem to work pretty good. I use to us a Garmin and when creating a route for it on the computer it would automatically recalculate the route to compensate for any waypoint that you might have missed. It would be nice if the TT would do the same thing eliminating the hassle if you missed one of your waypoints because you made a little detour in your route. Hope all this made some sense....:)

Yes, Tomtom routing will always try to get you through all your waypoints in order. If you no longer want to go to one, you can mark it as "visited" in the itinerary menu.

I like that feature, as I only add waypoints as needed for intermediate destinations. Tomtom routing is so good that I never use waypoints to forcefully "alter a route".

The only time Tomtom doesn't route perfectly is due to a map road error, the 10mph Iqroutes bug, or uturn avoidance. I use mapshare to fix all of these issues.

Ask a Question