Connect TomTom to computer as GPS input?

TomTom Model(s)
XL
I am a storm chaser and I am a member of a site that allows my fans to follow me as I chase via imaps and chase cam. I own the XL and I am trying to figure out if my computer can use this as a GPS when it is connected. Can any one help?

Negative. What you want for PC connections is a GPS or USB GPS 'puck' that provides NMEA data output. I've used my Garmin Oregon 450 handheld for this any number of times for various tasks, pumping the NMEA data from that device to my PC for mapping. That said, this still doesn't get you connected to a cellular or other network that will inexpensively allow you to upload a continuous data stream of your location. For that, your PC would need a 3G card or similar in addition to the GPS... and you'd need to stay in range of cell sites to make that work. You'll also need the software on your PC that can accept and interpret the NMEA data from the GPS, and something that will in turn pump that out to the 3G card. I don't know of a package that does all that.

FWIW, there are some really hot deals on that Garmin 450 if you have need of a good handheld GPS as well. I've seen them as cheap as $229 at GPSCity in the last week.

The alternatives are GPS devices with satellite uplink capability to send coordinate data that way, but while the devices aren't horribly expensive, the satellite uplink subscription isn't free. That said, here's the device that will actually do what you need done: http://www.findmespot.com/en/ Review it's "Track Progress" feature. It will send coordinate data every 10 minutes. For that feature, it's a minimum $49 per year.

Ask a Question