Computer voices on 510 ?

Hi,

Is it possible to enable to add a computer voice to a TomTom GO 510 to enable the Text-To-Speech functionality ?

The firmware seems to be enable for this because it tells me that I have selected a human voice so Text-To-Speech is not possible.

Maybe with a computer voice, it will be enabled.

Thanks.

psor

Tts

Wouldn't that be just a custom firmware update? I can't believe there's any hardware involved in this feature...

Which firmware blocks TTS on TT510?

So which firmware release would that be? I am already running v6.525...

TomTom copyright

I wasn't asking for help on how to do that....! :confused:

My question was which "latest firmware updates block the TTS feature for the other units" as digital-flex mentioned in his previous post.

I don't mean to start a discussion on copyright legislation, and since TomTom is on the GPL/GNU licenses I can do whatever I please with my own unit as long as I don't distribute it and don't expect any warranty and liability. In that sense TT allows programmers to develop 3rd party utilities for their environment, which may very well change the original intended functionality of their application (which I guess was the main point in using a Linux based kernel in the first place).

Either way, if digital-flex' comment was true I find it repulsive that TT have decided to take such a course of action to maintain their product marketability instead of simply stating that the 910 model is more "high-end" due to the internal hard-drive capacity (which obviously makes sense to charge extra). I don't agree to "disabling" software features which are obviously there just to make it more marketable to sell 2 units which are basically the same (except for the added HW). Hope I am making my point clear...

Thanks! :)

The TTS was never a feature on TT units other than the 910. As I understand it, there was an exploit in firmware versions lower than 6.5 that allowed TTS to function. TT was aware of this and plugged that security hole in the later firmware updates.

My question was which "latest firmware updates block the TTS feature for the other units" as digital-flex mentioned in his previous post.

I don't mean to start a discussion on copyright legislation, and since TomTom is on the GPL/GNU licenses I can do whatever I please with my own unit as long as I don't distribute it and don't expect any warranty and liability. In that sense TT allows programmers to develop 3rd party utilities for their environment, which may very well change the original intended functionality of their application (which I guess was the main point in using a Linux based kernel in the first place).

Either way, if digital-flex' comment was true I find it repulsive that TT have decided to take such a course of action to maintain their product marketability instead of simply stating that the 910 model is more "high-end" due to the internal hard-drive capacity (which obviously makes sense to charge extra). I don't agree to "disabling" software features which are obviously there just to make it more marketable to sell 2 units which are basically the same (except for the added HW). Hope I am making my point clear...

I Agree with you!!

As they say, where there is a will, there is a way.

I agree also. ven if TT would make the TTS software available through TT Home as a downloadable item-if even for a small fee.

Ask a Question