charging my new tomtom

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One 125
I just recently bought my tomtom one 125. I like it and it functions fine. My problem is charging it. I have the car charger and usb cable that came with it. As I understand it I can use both to charge my device. However in the manual it's no specific on charging procedures. Using the usb cable, does my device need to be on or off? If on do I need to accept connecting to my pc? How do I tell if it's charging or not? What does the green light on the bottom of the unit when it's on....just that it's on or being charged?

You can charge it with the unit off or on while connected to the usb cable. Charging with the car charger will be faster though.

Hi bassfisher:

The unit can be on or off but it will take much longer to charge the unit if it is on.

If using a USB cable, you do not need to turn it on or accept the connection to the computer for the unit to charge.

The green light on the bottom of the unit indicates that there is power being supplied to the unit (i.e, the cable works). It will start charging as soon as there is power.

However, the only way that you can tell that it is charging is to actually turn the unit on and see the battery status icon moving right to left again and again. When it stops, it is fully charged. When it's not charging, the icon shows a decreasing amount of battery life by moving very slowly from left to right until you get the battery warning and dies.

It's been a while, but I think that it takes about 4 hours to fully charge a unit using the USB cable with the unit off (assuming the battery is low). Longer with the unit on. The car charger takes about 2-3 hours with the unit on. I've never charged it in the car with the unit off.

Thanks for the reply and answers guys. I do wish tom tom would print better user manuals than they do.....they really don't tell you anything. Other than that I'm a loyal fan.

Ask a Question