changing the icon in map from blue arrow to

hi all, i have two tomtoms. my wife has the one 3rd while i have the go700. on hers i can change the arrow icon to a car or space shuttle or even the concorde. seems the possibilites are endless. on my go700 i am stuck with a blue arrow as i do not have that feature. my question is what is the file name for the blue arrow. i should be able to delete that and substitute my coca cola icon that i was able to insert on hers. i searched for the file and opened and opened a few but was not able to find anything that said blue arrow icon. thanks ahead of time for your help. Ed

hi all, i have two tomtoms. my wife has the one 3rd while i have the go700. on hers i can change the arrow icon to a car or space shuttle or even the concorde. seems the possibilites are endless. on my go700 i am stuck with a blue arrow as i do not have that feature. my question is what is the file name for the blue arrow. i should be able to delete that and substitute my coca cola icon that i was able to insert on hers. i searched for the file and opened and opened a few but was not able to find anything that said blue arrow icon. thanks ahead of time for your help. Ed

In my art folder on my 720, the blue arrow is named '-default.bmp' (no quotes and notice the - at the front.)

In my art folder on my 720, the blue arrow is named '-default.bmp' (no quotes and notice the - at the front.)
i found the -default.bmp file. and made a new file with the coca cola icon and renamed it -default.bmp and deleted the original icon yet am unable to send the new info to device. oddly when i hook up the go700 to the computer it shows i have 12 car symbols to add to device from the computer yet have no way of switching icons available to me. Ed

I just got a TomTom ONE XL S and am having the same problem. I downloaded a Subaru image which now shows up in my preferences. There are a few other cars that were already there.
I cannot get rid of the default blue arrow. I select one of the cars on the device or the subaru I downloaded from the TomTom site. It looks like it is selected but I still get the blue arrow on the maps.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

I just got a TomTom ONE XL S and am having the same problem. I downloaded a Subaru image which now shows up in my preferences. There are a few other cars that were already there.
I cannot get rid of the default blue arrow. I select one of the cars on the device or the subaru I downloaded from the TomTom site. It looks like it is selected but I still get the blue arrow on the maps.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Remember that custom car icons only show in 3D view, not 2D.

Changing the icon file isn't enough. The image (or its filename?) becomes encoded into a system file called, settings.dat, which is then accessed when the icon is drawn.

There's a third-party PC app called, "TomTom Heaven Xplorer," which allows you to switch the icon, but only when attached to your computer--this app does not reside on the TomTom.

See Birdman's How-To write up on this app here:
http://home.comcast.net/~spheasant1/Custom_car_icon.html

I used this method for several months & it's inconvenient, but works.

OTOH, NavCore 8.010 adds this functionality (along with its other faults) directly to TomToms which don't have it already...such as ONE 3rd's.

-R?

Ask a Question