Can't load TomTom Home onto my laptop

G'day All, I have been away on holidays so I haven't kept up with the last few replies to this thread.

But an amazing thing occurred today in relation to my problem. We have a house alarm that is wired to call a phone number if the alarm senses a problem. The alarm has been malfunctioning lately, so today it was disconnected and the phone line re-routed so it went directly from the street to our house phone/modem-router, instead of to the alarm box first.

Having tried a couple of times this morning to download the free maps without success, I thought I might give it another go after the phone line was re-routed, to see if it made any difference. And it DID!! Suddenly, I was able to connect to the tomtom website and download the maps without any difficulty. I do not understand how the alarm box phone circuitry was interferring with the tomtom website, but there was obviously some sort of incompatibility there.

I have now installed tomtomHome and the free map upgrade, plus all the other map corrections and gps fixes that were available.

I would never in a million years have thought the alarm box was contributing to the problem. If anyone else is experiencing any unusual internet connection problems, perhaps they might consider if there are any house alarms or back-to-base alarms operating on the same telephone wire connection.

I am still shaking my head over the whole episode...

Thank you all,
cheers,
Al.

Thank you for the feedback, Al. Most interesting. I have no clue as to a viable explanation, although I suspect there are those here who can and will.

Anyway, glad to see things are ok.

Now, make an Explorer, not Home backup of your unit's contents! :D

I'm having a similar problem, TomTom home in my case downloads (TomTomHOME2winlatest.exe), but when executing the install file, nothing happens and since XP doesn't generate error logs (that I know of), it's hard to find the problem.

I'm running WindowsXP SP2 on VirtualBox inside Gentoo Linux. It worked before, then after creating a new virtual machine with exactly the same settings, it simply doesn't work anymore.
It's a clean system, with nothing installed on it except for Windows XP. Firewalls and antivirus are non existent. Build in firewall is disabled.

Any idea where I can start (have tried all the above suggestions with no success)

Just for information sake, when I ping download.tomtom.com in a console, the IP address I get is 204.2.177.50 on which I get a timeout. When adding the "63.84.95.49 download.tomtom.com" entry into my hosts file, I still get a timeout when pinging download.tomtom.com.

Maybe the IP address has changed?

Using my webserver which is connected directly to the internet backbone (instead of through ISPs using NAT), the IP address I get is different as well:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
68.177.32.8 download.tomtom.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PING a1271.g.akamai.net (68.177.32.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 68.177.32.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=1.15 ms
64 bytes from 68.177.32.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=58 time=4.06 ms

--- a1271.g.akamai.net ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1002ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.155/2.608/4.062/1.454 ms

Any help appreciated :)

Just for information sake, when I ping download.tomtom.com in a console, the IP address I get is 204.2.177.50 on which I get a timeout. When adding the "63.84.95.49 download.tomtom.com" entry into my hosts file, I still get a timeout when pinging download.tomtom.com.

download.tomtom.com is on a distriuted akamai server, so the dns will point to a a physical box and ip sitting in your own ISP's building. If your webserver has a different isp, it'll have a different akamai box.

Since the box at some Australian's ISP was broken a while back, I posted my Boston Verizon box IP as a workaround. The Australia box is fixed, so to my knowledge no one needs that IP-force workaround any more.

Verizon could switch the box at any time, so you definitely should remove that hosts entry.

Last edited:

Ask a Question