Can't load TomTom Home onto my laptop

G?day, I am writing this to you from Australia. I am hoping someone out there in ?TomTomWorld? can help me understand why TomTomHome won?t load onto my laptop.

I bought a brand new TomTom ONE 30-series yesterday. Got it home and read the manuals from cover to cover. Charged the unit in my car for six hours. Connected the unit to my laptop and followed the instructions step by step to install TTHOME. The pop up box said it was downloading ?winlatest.zip? and eventually a blue line flashed across the bottom of the box, and the box disappeared. Then a black box flashed for a split second and disappeared. And then nothing happened. Ten minutes later I became suspicious. I checked in Windows Explorer and found a new Folder named TomTomDesktopSuite but there was nothing in it. I tried again from the start, and same result.

For ?Plan B? I went to the TomTom website and tried to download TTHOME from there. Kept getting the error message after clicking the download button: ?An error occurred while processing your request. Reference #99.and a string of numbers.?
Tried both Internet Explorer and Firefox and same result both times. Turned firewall off and Norton antivirus off, and same result. Tried both the device installation and website download on a second laptop here at home, and exactly the same result both times as the first laptop.

For ?Plan C? I opened up the device files in Windows Explorer, and discovered the file: InstallTomTomHome.exe and double clicked on that to see what would happen. Absolutely nothing. Not even a hint of a response.

I?m currently in discussions with TomTom Support, but none of their suggestions have made any difference (eg. Reset // Delete all Temp files // Turn off firewall, etc // Delete any TomTom files previously downloaded (there weren?t any).)

I?m hoping an expert out there in TomTomWorld might be able to point me in the right direction (pardon the pun) to help me get the problem sorted out. What is it that?s on my computer(s) that?s preventing the device from uploading TTHOME, and also preventing the website from downloading the same program. What is the vital bit that I?m not doing properly?

I have copied the device files on to a separate usb thumbdrive, in case the unit decides to go fzzzzzzt at some stage.

Device information:
TomTom ONE 30-series
App Version 8.081
Map Version V830.2290
(let me know if I need to find any other details for you)

Cheers,
Al.

Try this:

Control Panel-->Add/Remove Programs-->Do you see a listing for TomTom Home? If so, remove it.

Now, try installing again. does that help?

If not, use Explorer to go to Programs, Is there a folder called Tomtom Home 2. If so, are there files and folders beneath it?

G'day dhn, No listing of any TomTom in "Add or Remove Programs".

No TomTom Home 2 folder in Programs. The device loads a folder TomTomDesktopSuite into Programs but the folder is empty. (Have set up Explorer to show hidden files and folders).

Yesterday I tried deleting the TomTomDesktopSuite folder and attempting another installation, but no difference to the first attempt.

Laptop specs:
Microsoft XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3 with automatic updates ticked.
Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz, 1G Ram
Hard drive 60Gb with 32Gb free space, File system FAT32
Norton Antivirus 2009 with automatic updates.

hope this helps,
cheers,
Al.

Do you have anything here on your pc?

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Application Data\TomTom\HOME\Profiles\ojs18cup.default

If so, delete it and try the install again.

No, still nothing relating to TomTom in that Application Data folder.

Yesterday, as per suggestions from TomTom Support, checked that with Run > %appdata% (nothing there), and also %temp% to delete everything there. Retried install but no different.

I have four usb ports on the laptop, all of which variously operate the mouse, a webcam, external usb drives, and the printer. Yesterday, I disconnected all except the mouse, and tried the TomTom device in various usb ports but still no different.

cheers,
Al.

Australian downloads not working

I am also from Australia and am also having problems downloading from Tomtom. Attempting to download Tomtom home results in this error:

An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #99.a402e9dc.1255216016.2cc9e2dc

So I found Tomtom home on the CNET download site and instlled from there thinking this would be my only issue.

When tomtom home tries to update my One XL now I get a different error also related to download errors (see below). Is anyone else having a similar issue? I should add that all other sites are downloading fine on my PC.

ERROR: -504/#http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_8.010.9369.limerick.cab: Error from server: Gateway Time-out
Gateway Time-out
Error code: HTTP 504
URL: http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_8.010.9369.limerick.cab
Additional information: info = [object]
info.method = [string] GET
info.resumeOffset = [number] 0
info.resumeDownloadEnabled = [boolean] false
info.entityID = [string]
info.file = [string] C:\Users\anita\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\program\TomTom_Application_for__ONE_XL\navcore_8.010.9369.limerick.cab
info.metaFile = [string] C:\Users\anita\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\temp\fbdb4ed009d58dd30793b99cdca197c3.tmp.meta
info.tempFile = [string] C:\Users\anita\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\temp\fbdb4ed009d58dd30793b99cdca197c3.tmp

Severity: 1105
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/netutil.js:97
return new ServerError(responseStatusText, -responseStatusCode, aChannel.URI.spec, undefined, additionalInfo);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:363
exception = NetUtil.isRequestSuccess(this._channel, aStatus, this._getRequestInfo());

Time: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 23:09:11 GMT

Crikey!, maybe there's a new Government exclusion zone set up around Australia to stop any TomTom nasties from getting in, heh heh!

dhn, I am going to give the installation another go from scratch. Will turn off the Antivirus (again) and see if it makes any difference, and report back. Thanks for your help so far.

Btw, Are there any other programs that are known to interfere with the installation...Adobe Reader? Adobe Flash Player 10? Java? Logitech Vid? Skype? etc. (I have all these)

cheers,
Al.

I have never seen any indication of other programs interfering with the possible exception of some anti-virus programs and/or firewalls.

But I'd be the last person to suggest turning off an anti-virus s/w prior to a connection to the internet.

Are you using a router for your connection? Can you try with a direct connection?

Do not think there is a world conspiracy against Oz! ;)

dhn, still no joy. Fully disabled Norton. Reset device. Connected to computer and got the same initial 'download box' as before. Blue line flashes across, black box flashes, and then nothing.

Retried a download from the web. Antivirus still disabled. Set up Firefox to allow anything and everything to pass through. Tried both the Servers on the web for downloading. Tried wireless and Cat5 ethernet cable. Tried direct through TomTom website and via updatestar site. Every time got an error message.

I haven't even used the device in the car yet to see if it works ok for travel directions. I might take a run around the neighbourhood and at least confirm that that part of the device is working ok.

Can't understand why the two separate issues exist - ie. uploading from the device and downloading from the web. The common thing is my laptop, so there's got to be a glitch in there somewhere, I would think. But where?? I've downloaded a 50Mb file from Windows update in amongst all this trouble, so I can download other stuff from the net ok.

Might be one for the too hard basket.
cheers,
Al.

dhn, well at least the TomTom unit got me around the neighbourhood with a few test runs this afternoon. Thank goodness for that part working well!

I have a relative who is a network administrator for iPrimus in Sydney. By coincidence he also has a TomTom ONE, which works perfectly connected to his computer. I'm going to meet up with him in a week or so and get him to try and resolve the problems.

If we discover what the problem is, I'll post something back in this thread in case it provides some help for someone else in the future.

Thanks for all your help so far. I was starting to go nuts, so it was good to be able to bounce ideas off someone else.

One final question: My Map Version is V830.2290. Would I be right in assuming the maps are the 2008 edition?

If so, I hope I get the problems sorted out before the 30-day free map upgrade expires.

cheers,
Al.

The 830 map is from May 2009. The current one (835) was released in August 2009.

Can you try the suggestions in this link from TomTom and see if it helps?

Last edited:
G'day again, dhn
In all other attempts to try, and retry, the uploading and downloading, the only TomTom folder I've ever found was the TomTom DesktopSuite folder in C;\Programs. And there's never been anything showing in it. (Win Exp is always set to "Show hidden files and folders. [Just confirmed again.])

Just now doing a full search of my C: drive for *tomtom* (-looking in hidden files and folders ticked), the following two files have shown up:

INSTALLTOMTOMHOME.EXE-2E3AACEB.pf....C:\WINXPPRO\Prefetch....24KB...PF File...10/10/2009 [ddmmyyyy]
INSTALLTOMTOMHOME.EXE-353D8F04.pf......C:\WINXPPRO\Prefetch....23KB...PF File...11/10/2009

These are the only two "unusual" files showing in the search. All other *tomtom* folders/files showing in the search are from when I did a second device backup yesterday onto my C: drive, or are in the Local Settings > Temp/Temporary Internet Folders, and are from looking at your forum or the TomTom website in the last 24 hours. I had previously cleared the Temp/T I F as per the advice from TomTom Customer Support.

A second full search for *download* reveals 49 files found, although none of them appear to relate to tomtom home. I found some old files from Spybot Search & Destroy that I no longer use, so I deleted them. I did notice that I've got an Adobe Download Manager in the C:\Programs folder, and yesterday when I was searching around the net and looking at various websites that provide a link to the TomTomHome download, one of the websites recommended that any download managers be switched off before doing the download. My computer knowledge is nowhere near high enough to understand whether Adobe would interfere or not during the attempts I made over the last couple of days.

A third search for *install* showed (as expected) 448 files, but apart from the two Prefetch files listed above and the ones relating to my backup yesterday, all the others appear to be from various other programs on my computer.

My knowledge of computer operations is fairly limited, so I don't know whether the two Prefetch files are significant to the problem or not. I'll be guided by your judgement on whether I should delete these or not, and try another installation.

cheers,
Al.

I am sorry.......I just don't know what further to suggest (other tha ntrying the install on a different computer).

dhn, I thought I might try to download something from the tomtom website, to prove that at least I could achieve that. Just now I successfully downloaded the XL/130 manual from the United States webpage, (57 pages), and the XL/30-Series manual from the Australia webpage (72 pages). [...it must take longer to explain it to us Aussies, ha ha]. So at least I now know that my computer doesn't hate the TomTom website completely!

I thought about your option of downloading to another computer. Do you think I would be successful if I downloaded a WinXP version of TTHome onto a usb thumbdrive, via another computer, and then tried to load the files onto my computer? Would the other computer running Vista cause any interference to the WinXP integrity of the download? (I see in another thread on this forum that it may not.)

Any thoughts on this option?

cheers,
Al.

Two ideas:

1) There was a post a few weeks back that you need to disable ActiveX filtering on certain router brands. ActiveX programs download as cab files, and certain router ActiveX filters just shut off every cab file from the internet. The Tomtom files are cab files and are caught in this filter.

2) The cab files are akamai hosted. They sit on a server that akamai installed in your neighborhood ISP. Most ISPs happily allow akamai to put a server in their building, since that every file downloaded from their building is a download that they don't need to pay upstream bandwidth for. The bottom line is my download.tomtom.com server is different from your download.tomtom.com server (and yours may be broken).
Try this: In start -> run, type (with the quotes):
notepad "c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts."

Add a line that says:
63.84.95.49 download.tomtom.com

And then save the file.

Now try the download. The above steps repoint you to my akamai server. If it succeeds, let us know (and tell us the name of your ISP). We've had a lot of Australia members reporting issues lately, I'm really starting to suspect an akamai bug. And call up your ISP's tech support and tell them about it.

Success

Hi mvl, thanks for the notepad tip. It worked for me with Windows XP. Didn't work on the laptop running Vista but at least I've got it working somewhere.

Anyone in Australia still having trouble, give the notepad tip a try.

Ask a Question