Cannot enter address

TomTom Model(s)
One XL
I have an One XL and I am trying to enter an address of 7N501 Street name. How can I do that. The address format is very common in the Chicago area.

You can't. TT's don't accept alpha-numeric address entry, somewhat unusual for a pnd. Quite a few posts/threads here on the subject. Sometimes trying some other version of the address (ie, just "501") will yield a proper address. Other than that, there's not too much you can do short of researching it on Google and sending the destination to your device. I know, kind of defeats the purpose of having a portable GPS, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
You load a "Tyre" progam into your TT, then you go to google map and find your address, you can do a route from your location to the address you want and download into your TT. Here is some info to look at
Tyre History they just updated the program and this will give you some idea's on how it works.

Also look here http://home.comcast.net/~spheasant1/Google_itinerary.html I just saw this on another post

Last edited:
I just found out how to navigate to an alpha numeric address. With TTHome started on your computer right click on the icon in the system tray and choose "plan a route", that brings up a screen similar to Google Earth. Enter start and end addresses and after route is displayed click on either the Start or End flag. Options there allow you to route to, add to favorites and such. I guess you could also use "find location" option. Really quite simple.

I just found out how to navigate to an alpha numeric address. With TTHome started on your computer right click on the icon in the system tray and choose "plan a route", that brings up a screen similar to Google Earth. Enter start and end addresses and after route is displayed click on either the Start or End flag. Options there allow you to route to, add to favorites and such. I guess you could also use "find location" option. Really quite simple.

Interesting, I'm using the TT tomorrow and decided to update it tonite and found critical update and installed and now see we have a route planner as you mentioned, something totally new, now I'm going to have to learn a whole new thing, tuff on this old Senior........lol
by the way, curious about your "jmurr" my name is very similar?????

I found this "planner", too. It appears that you cannot make it deviate from the route it suggests. Any way to put in waypoints, etc?

Nope. Point A to B only, at least for now. IMO, it's usefullness is pretty limited as it's currently designed. I've mentioned before that it's more of a marketing pitch than anything else as far as I'm concerned.

TomTom's manual suggests this:

• Finding out how long a journey will take before you set out
  • Checking the route of a journey before you set out
  • Checking the route for someone who is visiting you so you can explain it to them

I can the the value in the 2nd bullet such that, if you don't like the suggested route, you may want to consider Itinerary Planning if your model has that option.

And, as for the 3rd bullet, well we know that 'local knowledge' always trumps whatever a gps unit may suggest, so you could suggest to someone if they are also using a TomTom where to deviate from the planned route.

As for the 1st bullet, just for the heck of it, I used it just to see how far it would be to someone I know in Maine! :D

Ask a Question