Cannot de-select application update!!

No problem at all - I will let you know what TomTom have to say about the situation. I got a reply saying they have 'escalated' the issue...

I won't hold my breath for a satisfactory answer though!

If you open this file in notepad, you will see there is a section which says 'Version=2.7.5.2014'. Simply change this to read 'Version=2.8.1.2218'.

This should keep things from updating until the next update to Home occurs, at which time, we'll just have to share what the new number is, and all plug that in instead of the 2.8.1.2218.

Another user has reported that he put in 10.00000 and it worked.
That should keep us safe for a few years!

Out of curiosity, I edited ttgo.bif and changed application 8312 to 9059. And that worked too. So it's another workaround.

ttgo.bif gets rewritten at every poweron of the Tomtom, so its not that convenient a workaround. I only connect my GO740 once a month or so, so it isn't too much of a hassle for me.

That's a good one to remember if I end up with any compatibility issues due to having an old version of tomtom home in the future - thanks :)

Well - helpful TomTom customer services have informed me of the following:

We do apologize for the inconvenience caused in this regards please accept your apologizes.

We would like to inform you that if you update the new application on your device you will be able to use the map on your device and you will not be able to use the HD traffic properly on your device.

In this case we suggest you to update the application if you would like to update the map on your device.

If not then we request you to wait till the latest application is released in the market for your device and our technical team is trying there best to resolve the application issue with your device.

Once the application is release you will get an update on TomTom Home and as you are our valued customer and as you have subscribe to newsletter we will send you an e-mail regarding the same once the application is released.

So they have as good as told me I now have a choice between HD traffic, or the ability to update my map/speed camera - both elements I've paid for! I am asking for a refund/extension for my pre-paid services between now and when this 'fix' is released.

On past experience I don't expect this to happen in the near future!

Sounds like the person who replied to you still has no clue as to what's happening with Home. They evidently still don't realize that you can't update anything without updating the firmware on the latest version of Home -- unless one applies the tweak that you so kindly pointed out and tested for us, that is! -- but one wonders how many people read here and know how to get around that? How they could make the statements you quoted is beyond me. Geez.

Ummm... I'm sure it *used* to be there!

All I can find now is the option to NOT receive beta releases, but I guess this last update wasn't classed as a beta.

This could be an insoluble problem then......

TomTom HOME has a General Preference for Startup of HOME, which can be unchecked:

"Check for updates for my navigation device when I connect my device to my computer".

That's not the same thing at all Zeus...

We were talking about the option of whether Home checks for updates for Home itself. It's that option that has gone.

That's not the same thing at all Zeus...

We were talking about the option of whether Home checks for updates for Home itself. It's that option that has gone.
To be fair, that's only half the story, and the other half is what makes it worse.

The currently (and previous) shipping version of Home requires that it update itself when it wants, and the current version insists on updating your unit firmware if you want to update your unit, even for just QuickFix or maps.

What the current version causes (without the workarounds described here) is to force users to update their firmware, even if the latest release causes them problems worse than whatever they might have been experiencing with the previous release.

To be fair, that's only half the story, and the other half is what makes it worse..

No, hold on, I WAS being fair.... we've said all that already
That particular quote was from a post back when we had just realised that going back to a previous version of Home wouldn't cure the problem because it would just update itself back to the latest version.

We were already discussing how that new Home version was forcing you to update the unit software.

What? ME lost in a thread backtrack again?:eek: Some days, I wish there was an option to look back more than one page at a time when writing replies -- at least to be able to specify the number of posts per page we see. For mobile use, I understand where there's a serious need to limit total data being transferred. For desktop use, not so much.

You're forgiven....:)
I was feeling a bit crabby... I'd just watched my daughter drop the laptop I'd bought for her less than 2 months ago with money I didn't have...

Another possible workaround?

Hi, all - I realize that a) I'm a newbie here, and b) I'm coming to this thread late, but I hope I may be able to help anyway.

I am running TomTom Home 2.8.0.2146 and I have been EXTREMELY irritated by TomTom Home's insisting that it needs to update itself, and starting to download that update immediately every single @#$%@% time I start the software. The update is a large download, and I'm on dial-up so that download would take a looooooong time. I don't NEED the application update in order to install the QuickGPSFix, and I resent being forced to download it and tie up my already feeble connection for an hour or more.

I found out one thing that helped, though. On my computer, I have Comodo Firewall installed (though I would assume that almost any firewall would work). What I've taken to doing is to launch the TomTom Home software, then immediately use the firewall to Block All traffic. Once I've done this, TomTom Home will eventually time out and throw up an error message saying that it cannot download the update and giving me the URL to download the update directly. (This will also prevent me from surfing for a few minutes, but it's totally worth it.)

Once TomTom Home has given up trying to download the update, it is safe to re-enable traffic through the firewall and then the QuickGPSFix downloads and installs normally. I'm guessing this might help some of you who need to prevent the update for other reasons as well.

The sheer arrogance of a company believing its update is more important than anything else I'm doing on my computer is beyond offensive. This sort of BS is the sort of thing that will probably cause me to buy a Garmin next time I need a new GPS.

TomTom, are you listening?

Last edited:
Welcome to TTF,

You're right, you can do it that way but why not fall back to an earlier version of HOME (I'm using 2.8.0.2146), and then edit that file that says it's version 10 so it will no longer look for HOME update? Much easier I think than having to use your Firewall.

Firstly install version 2.7 (or older ver of 2.8) but do not run it.

If you go to: C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul there is a file called 'application.ini'.

If you open this file in notepad, you will see there is a section which says 'Version=2.7.5.2014'. Simply change this to read 'Version= 10.000".

TomTom HOME will now be tricked into thinking it is the latest version. It will therefore not force you to update to the newer version 2.8.

Last edited:
Not so hard!

why not fall back to an earlier version of HOME (I'm using 2.8.0.2146), and then edit that file that says it's version 10 so it will no longer look for HOME update? Much easier I think than having to use your Firewall.

Two reasons:
1) It's not so difficult to use the firewall. To block all traffic requires a grand total of two mouse clicks: one right-click on the bright red, easy-to-find system tray icon, then navigate to the "Firewall Security Level" menu, and click on the "Block All" item. Total time spent on the operation: about two seconds. To unblock the traffic again requires exactly the same two mouse clicks. Other firewalls may be more complex to do this with - I don't know. This is a pretty basic thing to do with a firewall and if doing this with yours is much more complex than this, maybe you should consider a different firewall... :)

If I wanted to, I could set up a rule in the firewall blocking TomTom Home every time without affecting other traffic. I might even be able to specifically block only the application update without blocking other downloads within the application. But that does get more complex.

2) Editing an .ini file or other configuration file and providing the application with invalid values for any variable sounds like a risky hack to me. Maybe it's perfectly safe; maybe it's not. I would certainly do it if I had to but if I have an alternative that doesn't involve supplying invalid values to the program, I prefer to use that alternative first in the name of system stability.

In any event, I thought that folks might appreciate an alternative they might not have thought of on their own. Whichever way you prefer is the right way for you, unless something blows up... :)

The sheer arrogance of a company believing its update is more important than anything else I'm doing on my computer is beyond offensive. This sort of BS is the sort of thing that will probably cause me to buy a Garmin next time I need a new GPS.

TomTom, are you listening?

TomTom, are you listening? ................... I doubt it very much. :flypig:

Not only is it arrogance it is totally disrespectful to their customers, TT are only forcing prospective buyers away by using this tactic.

My TT One 2nd Edition went haywire this morning screens were popping up all over the place and nothing would work, I even did a reset and that too failed to fix the problem.

Whilst out shopping this morning I looked at a couple of shops to compare prices of new model TT's came home logged into the Forum and found this thread, now I'm not sure I want to buy another TT. That arrogant/misguided reply has me now looking at the competition seriously whereas before I was totally a TT devotee.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, they got the message. The current version of Home no longer plays that game with users.

I'm still being forced to update from app 8.312 before getting mapshares on the latest HOME version.

My TT One 2nd Edition went haywire this morning screens were popping up all over the place and nothing would work, I even did a reset and that too failed to fix the problem.

There could be a very simple solution for that....
See your other topic here.

Ask a Question