Cannot de-select application update!!

I have a major problem with the new version of TomTom Home. I was using version 2.7 quite happily when it informed me there was a critical update, and proceeded to upgrade my version to 2.8. This is all very well until I click update my device...

In the past, I had upgraded my TomTom 740 LIVE to application version v9.058. I had horrendous problems with this - traffic became slow and unreliable, forcing me to return to version v8.371 - which works PERFECTLY...

Previously I had the application update de-selected in Home 2.7 as I do not want to upgrade to it - because it does not work! Now TomTom Home 2.8 will not let me de-select the option and is forcing me to update to v9.058. I do not want to do this - it breaks live traffic! However, I can't download the other updates (speed cameras, quickfix, petrol prices, maps) without also downloading the application update too.

Please help!!!

Uninstall it and download/install a previous version.

I think the one immediately before v2.8.1.2218 was v2.8.0.2146
which you can download from TomTom here.

Then switch off the option to automatically look for updates.

Thanks for the reply,

I have already managed to roll back to v2.7, which works... However when I open it I get a pop up box telling me that there is a critical update which must be installed. It then tries to update me to the latest version.

I can't seem to find an option for disabling updates... Where is that in the menu?

Ummm... I'm sure it *used* to be there!

All I can find now is the option to NOT receive beta releases, but I guess this last update wasn't classed as a beta.

This could be an insoluble problem then......

Ummm... I'm sure it *used* to be there!

All I can find now is the option to NOT receive beta releases, but I guess this last update wasn't classed as a beta.

This could be an insoluble problem then......
Yes, I noticed that too. It's like TomTom insists on us updating to the latest HOME. Don't care for that.

As for not being able to deselect a new app being installed, I'll have to connect my old TT 3rd edition to see if I can deselect the app. Since my 3rd edition is on an old vers 7.xx, It was for years offering an app update. I didn't want to update my 3rd as that new app would break the itinerary routes I had added. I'll post back results of this test.

<< Update >> Testing new HOME with TT 3rd edition:
Yes, you can't deselect an offered application update. It's grayed out with a check mark forced there. This is not good!! I unchecked the qpsquickfix, and mapshares offered then 'continue'. The next screen showed HOME downloading the newer app. I clicked cancel. This means with this version of HOME I can no longer get mapshare updates for my old unit. The Quickfix is not a big deal. I've stopped getting those anyway. Really not necessary.

I wonder... can you have 2 versions of HOME installed on the computer? Probably not.

Last edited:
Thanks for checking it out - unfortunately having two versions wouldn't work anyway as TomTom home also forces you to update to version 2.8.

It's very annoying! I now can't download speed camera updates or any new maps without getting the application. I have emailed Tomtom - and waiting a reply!

This is the reply I got from TomTom by email.
Response (ST Patrick H) 03/19/2011 05:15 PM]

Dear James,

I apologize, it may be several months before we release a new software update for the GO 740 series of devices. We will not be restoring the ability to choose not to perform software updates in TomTom HOME. We removed this feature to ensure software updates are installed, we have no plans to change this.

Jim - try running both the 2.3 installer itself and Home 2.3 (after installed) in XP compatibility mode.

Jim - try running both the 2.3 installer itself and Home 2.3 (after installed) in XP compatibility mode.

Won't run on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

I can get it to install and start in Windows Virtual PC but can't find USB drive to connect to device. 2.3 DOES have option to turn off Home updating. I will need to use my XP Laptop.

I will keep 2.7 & 2.8 on the Windows 7 Laptop

Thanks

I have found a temporary solution... Although I don't know whether this might cause me a compatibility issue in the future...

Firstly install version 2.7 but do not run it.

If you go to: C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul there is a file called 'application.ini'.

If you open this file in notepad, you will see there is a section which says 'Version=2.7.5.2014'. Simply change this to read 'Version=2.8.1.2218'.

TomTom HOME will now be tricked into thinking it is the latest version. It will therefore not force you to update to the real version 2.8.

I have found a temporary solution... Although I don't know whether this might cause me a compatibility issue in the future...

Firstly install version 2.7 but do not run it.

If you go to: C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul there is a file called 'application.ini'.

If you open this file in notepad, you will see there is a section which says 'Version=2.7.5.2014'. Simply change this to read 'Version=2.8.1.2218'.

TomTom HOME will now be tricked into thinking it is the latest version. It will therefore not force you to update to the real version 2.8.
Alex,
Thanks for that. Not sure that will work for the NEXT update of HOME though. It may depend on how TomTom checks for the latest version. Is there an algorithm that subtracts one number from the latest? ? or does it look for a certain number like 2.8.xxx?

Also, I checked that ini file in the path specified for my version HOME (2.8.1.2218). It doesn't have any reference to version number. Is that path correct?

Thanks.

I'll be darned. This does seem to work. Thanks, AlexDW.

This should keep things from updating until the next update to Home occurs, at which time, we'll just have to share what the new number is, and all plug that in instead of the 2.8.1.2218.

Alex,
Also, I checked that ini file in the path specified for my version HOME (2.8.1.2218). It doesn't have any reference to version number. Is that path correct?
Yes, it is. Find your TomTom HOME 2 folder in your Program Files directory, and inside that, you should see the "xul" folder. The application.ini file can be found there, just as described... unless you chose to install TomTom to another folder originally. Just locate the TomTom HOME 2 folder.

Yes, that file is there, but I don't see any reference to the version number using notepad.

Oops... now using Wordpad, I see the reference. Now I see that It was there with Notepad too, but off the screen as Notepad doesn't word wrap. Sorry about that. :rolleyes:

Question... Did you guys just use HOME's uninstall to fall back, or did you have to use the Revo utility?

Thanks.

Thanks Alex,

This worked like a charm, thanks!

At first I thought there was a problem as after updating my XL-335TM with mapshares, it rebooted... looked for satellites, then said "Poor satellite signal". Then it rebooted. Came up next time saying "poor satellite signal" (without saying looking for satellites) and again and rebooted a third time. This time I let it connect to PC... looked at what was on the device using HOME, then safely disconnected. THIS time it came up ? looked for satellites and found some. Phew!! My XL reboots about once per month, so it's been about a month since this last happened. I'm always careful to 'end route' before turning off.

Next... I connected my TT-3rd edition, was able to 'deselect' the application like we should be able to do, and download some mapshares.

Thanks Alex. This looks to be a pretty good 'work-around' for awhile. :D

Ask a Question