cannot copy new map to one xl

I am trying to replace my North America map with a Europe map. I did a backup no problem with tomtom home and I also copied my North America map to my computer no problem. I found in other threads advice to do everything through windows explorer. So I copied the NA map off the device, then deleted it from the device in windows explorer. Now I am trying to copy my new map to the device without success. If I try to unzip directly to the device the process stops with no error at about 6%. The device shows "do not disconnect" with the hard drive icon rotating during the first 6% as progress is made, but then when it "times out" or "hangs" winrar just sits there and the estimated time to completion goes up forever and the tomtom no longer shows the hard drive moving icon or the "do not disconnect" and just sits there forever. I cannot cancel winrar as it is hung and have to reboot the computer. I am using windows 7 with a tomtom one xl. I tried to copy the files one by one to the tomtom. Small files work no problem. Anything over 100mb hangs after about 2 minutes. Any ideas appreciated.

If you do have an Explorer backup of youre unit's contents, try formatting the internal drive. Not quickformat. Then try WinRar again to install the new map. See if that works.

If so, connect to Home and you should be offered an application. Accept and install.

formatting also hangs... click start and pretty much nothing happens. Although now when I turn it on and its connected to the PC it wants to run scandisk and when I run it it tells me it fixed stuff but I still cannot copy files to it.

So I have successfully formatted it FAT16. I tried to unzip the map to it and again it "timed out" at 61MB. Just sits there no error 20+ minutes of sitting. Somewhat strange since format reported no errors. I will try the clearflash tool see if it does anything. Any other suggestions? help is appreciated.

So clear flash seems to have detected the device because it started installing to the device, but also hung. Is it time to call customer service and waste my time trying to explain this problem?

Ok so I did FAT32 on a win xp machine and it worked fine and much faster. This is interesting. Thanks very much for your help.

FAT16 has a significantly smaller addressable disk size (maximum of 2GB even when using huge clusters) than FAT32 (more than 32GB when using huge clusters). What was likely happening when you were formatted as FAT16 was that you were trying to occupy a total of more than 2GB bytes of data with whatever you were writing .. and the OS didn't know what to do with the rest.

Ask a Question