Cannot connect to computer

I've installed TomTom Home 2. When I plug my TomTom into my laptop, it says found new hardware, and the found new hardware wizard comes up. I've tried canceling out of it, and I've tried using the wizard. But my computer is never able to connect to the TomTom. I have an error saying its not configured correctly (code 1)
Does anyone know how to fix this?

If it makes any difference, I'm using windows xp.

With your TomTom turned on, press the reset button on bottom of unit. (Use a paperclip) After you pree button, it will automatically turn your unit off. Turn your unit back on. Then place it on your dock and see if it connects. It should work now.

I've installed TomTom Home 2. When I plug my TomTom into my laptop, it says found new hardware, and the found new hardware wizard comes up. I've tried canceling out of it, and I've tried using the wizard. But my computer is never able to connect to the TomTom. I have an error saying its not configured correctly (code 1)
Does anyone know how to fix this?

If it makes any difference, I'm using windows xp.

Does your TomTom ever ask you if you want to connect to a computer?
When I first put the TomTom in the dock the computer I get the found new hardware prompt,but as soon as I answer yes to my go920 asking if I want to "connect to computer" everything works fine.

I tried resetting it, didnt work.
When I plug it in, the add new hardware doesn't come up until after I tell the TomTom to connect to the computer. (and yes, the prompt does come up on the TomTom asking me if I want to connect it.)

(edit) And just to add, it does work on a friends computer.

Last edited:
I tried resetting it, didnt work.
When I plug it in, the add new hardware doesn't come up until after I tell the TomTom to connect to the computer. (and yes, the prompt does come up on the TomTom asking me if I want to connect it._

time to call TomTom support.

It may need a device file that makes XP recognize the type of TT device. I had a similar issue. Support sent me the appropriate file which needs to be copied across to the TT and a coupla other steps and then it connects fine from that point on.

Open a ticket with support. I have found them helpful and relatively quick to respond.

Open a ticket with support. I have found them helpful and relatively quick to respond.

I've been talking to tomtom support for about a week now. Only solutions they've given me so far is things like, make sure your firewall isn't blocking it, try re-installing tomtom home, reset the tomtom, ect. Nothing that I didn't try before I went to this site, or theirs for help.

I've been talking to tomtom support for about a week now. Only solutions they've given me so far is things like, make sure your firewall isn't blocking it, try re-installing tomtom home, reset the tomtom, ect. Nothing that I didn't try before I went to this site, or theirs for help.

Since you seemed to have tried a few things ,can you plug other USB devices into that port have them work.I believe it needs to be a powered usb port and it may be possible your laptops usb ports don't supply enough power.

Since you seemed to have tried a few things ,can you plug other USB devices into that port have them work.I believe it needs to be a powered usb port and it may be possible your laptops usb ports don't supply enough power.

The only other thing that I've tried to plug in that didn't work was an external hard drive. Is it possible to give the usb ports more power?

Do you have XP SP1 installed? If it is, you are supposed to have the latest drivers for USB and removable storage device. The other possibility is a faulty USB port on your computer. Of course that does not preclude something wrong on your TT system. If you could try to connect it on another computer and see if the internal memory can be seen as a removable storage, it would rule out your TT system and cable as the problem...

Do you have XP SP1 installed? If it is, you are supposed to have the latest drivers for USB and removable storage device. The other possibility is a faulty USB port on your computer. Of course that does not preclude something wrong on your TT system. If you could try to connect it on another computer and see if the internal memory can be seen as a removable storage, it would rule out your TT system and cable as the problem...

I have the XP service pack 2 installed. It's connected fine to 2 other computers, both desktops. (mine is a laptop)

I have the XP service pack 2 installed. It's connected fine to 2 other computers, both desktops. (mine is a laptop)

So it's not the tomtom, but rather something on your laptop. Do you have Activesync (for connection to a PDA or smartphone) or some Palm PDA active connector software installed on the laptop, and configured to use the USB port, perhaps? If so, disable the Activesync USB connection and try to connect to the TT to see if there is any interference there.

So it's not the tomtom, but rather something on your laptop. Do you have Activesync (for connection to a PDA or smartphone) or some Palm PDA active connector software installed on the laptop, and configured to use the USB port, perhaps? If so, disable the Activesync USB connection and try to connect to the TT to see if there is any interference there.

I found a folder called Microsoft Activesync, but I don't know if it's enabled, or...? It's just a folder with one file in it.

Last edited:
I would also check the power savings settings of the laptop,its possible it won't allow you to power things off the USB,because it will drain the battery too much.Is the laptop on battery power or plugged into the wall?

I found a folder called Microsoft Activesync, but I don't know if it's enabled, or...? It's just a folder with one file in it.

To check if you have Activesync installed on the LAPTOP, go to control panel and add/remove programs and look for Microsoft Activesync. If so, and you don;t need the software (it's a free, optional, download from Microsoft) - you can remove it, OR simply open the program (on the laptop) and go to connection settings and disable the USB connection.

I've found some versions of Activesync have interfered with various USB connections to other devices.

I had the same problem with Home2.2 Icontacted support and got the following reply.

"To solve your issue with TomTom Home, please do the following:-

STEP 1

- Uninstall TomTom Home, click on Start -> All Programs -> TomTom -> Uninstall TomTom Home.

- Delete the following folder from your PC 'My Documents/TomTom/Home/Downloads'.

- Download TomTom Home 1.5 from http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/latest/TomTomHOMEwinlatest.exe

STEP 2

- Connect the TomTom to the PC and switch it on

- In TomTom Home, click on Device -> Change device

- Does TomTom Home 1.5 recognize your device? If so, download all the available application updates by clicking on 'Update now'.

- Once downloaded and installed, switch the TomTom off, disconnect it from the PC and switch it back on.

Repeat step 2, until there are no further application updates. Once you have done this, please download TomTom Home 2.2 from:-

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/home2latest/TomTomHOME2winlatest.exe

If the installation asks you to remove Home 1.5 from your PC, say no to this, we need both versions of Home installed on your PC so that we can resolve your issue.

- Close TomTom Home from the system tray in the bottom right hand corner of your screen by the system clock, there might be a red icon there for TomTom Home, if so , right click on it and choose exit.

- Open TomTom Home 2.2, does it now recognize your device?"
unquote.
I did it a little differently, I put 1.5 on my desktop and upgraded from firmware 5.41 to 6.5

Then I connected Tom Tom to my laptop with Home 2.2 and it connected and updated .

Ask a Question