Can i just delete the old map?

TomTom Model(s)
Go 730
Just bought a TT Go730.I need to update the map with the 30 day guarantee that camewith it.Now i dont have a memory card yet but i was thinking cant i just delete the old map first through TT Home them install the new one?

Cheers.
Simon Grubb

You can back up the old map using Explorer, not Home, and then remove the map folder from the computer, yes.

But...

If you just bought the unit within the last few days, do NOT go for the LMG now. you see, the next map (840) is due on or about November 20th. So wait a couple of weeks before trying for the upgrade because you can only use the LMG once.

Whenever I update my map it just overwrites the old one. But do a complete Explorer backup of everything on the device now, don't use HOME to do it.
With HDD space so cheap these days I always make a full Windows Explorer back up of the device and the SD card before installing a new map or a new version of HOME.

how to back up internal memory &SD card

I have a GO730 and just bought it and charged up the battery. I have a 16GB class 6 150x SDHC card that I plan on putting MP3 files and other maps. How do I back up internal memory and SD card using the exporer backup? Why is this better to use than the Tom Tom Home backup?

When you connect your 730 to your computer via HOME and open Windows Explorer you will see a separate drive letter for the internal memory and the SD card.
Make a new folder on your HDD, give it a name and copy both those drives to it.

Earlier operating systems did not recognise more than 4 GB on an SDHC card but that supposedly changed.

According to users having made a back up with HOME they found it incomplete after restoring it.
If you map becomes unusable you will not be able to replace it with a free one from TomTom.

I have a GO730 and just bought it and charged up the battery. I have a 16GB class 6 150x SDHC card that I plan on putting MP3 files and other maps. How do I back up internal memory and SD card using the exporer backup? Why is this better to use than the Tom Tom Home backup?

See here for what you want to know.

Ask a Question