Can I charge my 2050 from mains power?

I have a 220 volt male plug which also includes a USB socket.instead of a power cable. I use this plug to recharge my camera or my Amazon Kindle device from my home's electricity supply when this is the most convenient re-charging option. Can I also re-charge my TomTom 2050 device by connecting its USB plug into my home's electricity via the above described special plug? Has anyone on this forum done that or have knowledge on the subjects

Can I also re-charge my TomTom 2050 device by connecting its USB plug into my home's electricity via the above described special plug? Has anyone on this forum done that or have knowledge on the subjects
Your 'special plug' is in fact a 5V charger. You can charge your TomTom using any USB compliant device, including your computer, but a wall charger that is capable of delivering 1A or more will do it faster than your computer.

Thanks, that's very helpful and you sound both confident and knowledgable on the subject. When I'm travelling with my laptop computer I often have a handful of devices to charge at the same time so it's great if I can use my AC power to USB cable plug carry some of the load. I like your "faster" comment too.

I like your "faster" comment too.
Let's just say I assume it's faster. Your computer will be limited to 500mA of current. A mains powered charger may be more, and your TomTom will be happy with a 1500mA charger. Check the spec on your 'special plug' to see what its rating is. It should be on a label or molded into the case itself. Let us know what you find.

In reply to your question, the charger plug which came with my Amazon Kindle reader is marked Input: 100-240v ~ 0.15A 50/60 hz with Output: 5.0V 0.85A.

On the other hand the charger plug which came with my Samsung camera is marked Input: 100-240v ~ 0.2A 50/60 hz with Output: 4.4V 400mA.

Are either of these two charger plugs suitable for use with BOTH of my devices because I already have to carry a heap of cables and plugs when I'm travelling. I don't want to carry both plugs if I can get by with one but I don't want to damage either device either.

The Kindle mains adapter will work fine with the Tomtom. I've done it myself.
As mentioned above, it will charge the battery more slowly than a charger with higher current capacity (something like 1.5A rather than the Kindles 0.85A)

The Samsung is a bit odd. The USB specification does allow voltages to drop a bit from the nominal 5 Volts, but I can't see why they woulld deliberately design something to be lower than the normal USB spec.

It's probably best not to use that one for the TomTom.

As to whether you can use the Kindle power supply for the Samsung, I would say you *should* be able to (any USB powered device *should* be usable from any USB power supply, but I would check the rating plate or user manual for the Samsung to just make sure that it is OK with a full 5V, before you try it for real.

In reply to your question, the charger plug which came with my Amazon Kindle reader is marked Input: 100-240v ~ 0.15A 50/60 hz with Output: 5.0V 0.85A.
Good deal. It will charge your unit about 70% faster than your computer would do at 0.5A.

On the other hand the charger plug which came with my Samsung camera is marked Input: 100-240v ~ 0.2A 50/60 hz with Output: 4.4V 400mA.
Would probably work, BUT... the voltage is much lower than normal, and 400mA .. that's 0.4A and not even as much as your computer would supply. Can't recommend that one at all.

Ask a Question