Best windshield mount for TomTom's?

Like many people in these forums I've had a terrible time trying to use the windshield mount which came with my 730. Regardless of if I use the adhesive pad or not, the stupid thing falls off all the time. I ended up buying two of these from Mount Guys, and while they are much more secure and haven't fallen off, they also don't absorb much movement, so now the TomTom shakes like crazy while mounted. For now I've had to mount it so the TomTom rests on the dash. I think what makes me even more disgruntled is that I had a Garmin before the TomTom and the windshield mount it came with was awesome. Stayed put, had great shock absorption, and was very easy to mount and unmount the device. Does anyone have any suggestions on a solid windshield mount for the TomTom?

Thanks!

You do make sure the windshield is clean, the cup is clean, you use a little 'spit' on the cup and press the cup onto the windshield with thumb and forefinger of both hands trying to press out the air inside the cup because that is exactly what you are tryingto do!

Then, connect the unit to the mounting stem, not before.

I use a dashboard beanbag, made by Gilsson. Partly because I don't want my GPS falling off, but mainly because its so easy - I can easily move it to different cars, it never slides around, and is easy to hide without leaving tell-tale windshield circles as an invitation to a thief.

You do make sure the windshield is clean, the cup is clean, you use a little 'spit' on the cup and press the cup onto the windshield with thumb and forefinger of both hands trying to press out the air inside the cup because that is exactly what you are tryingto do!

Then, connect the unit to the mounting stem, not before.

A little handlotion on the suction cup works for me. Just a tiny film, just enough to moisten slightly.

For my Treo running the TT Navigator, I've used the Arkon mount. Not the gooseneck one, the one that adjusts with thumbscrews. It worked very well, and didn't shake like the gooseneck model.

Having said that though, when I got my TT 920, I was fully prepared to get a replacement mount since I'd heard bad things about the included mount. However, the included mount is great. It sticks very well on a clean windshield. I put it on by itself, and then pull hard on it with my hand to make sure it's secure. Then I mount the 920 on it, and it's been great. But if I ever have to replace it, I probably will go with the Arkon again.

Ask a Question