Be Mr. Spock: TT vs. G...

One easy test of the Live services is on 'page 2' -- the Weather button. You'll need to be somewhere in range of AT&T 2G cellular services, but that covers a lot of ground.

Voila! You've explained it! :thumb: I had AT&T several years ago as my cellphone provider. However, in my area (western- and mountainous- Virginia) AT&T's network functions primarily along our interstate corridor. Once you get a few miles away from the interstate into the boonies, AT&T's coverage is spotty at best, non-existent at most. I truly appreciate your help in this matter, canderson. You've been above the call in helping me straighten this out.

On a side note, do you posters have much trouble with these units locking up at the start image? I had a nasty lockup last night which I could not rebooot and clear. It took connecting to the computer to unlock. Funny thing is, when the car is switching it on and off via the ignition cutting off power to the courtesy outlets, the Go works like a champ.

Anyway, thank again for all the information. Too bad I don't Tweet, or I'd let the world know just how exciting going to the store for groceries is... :)

Good weekend, Bill.

No, not known for lockups at the splash screen. Under what circumstances did that happen? Sounds like it turns on/off fine in the car (there are separate settings for auto-on and auto-off with external power), but when it's just sitting in your hand with no external power, that's when you see this?

Exactly. It's only done this twice- once the night I got it and updated and last night after I read your post. By the way, you're correct. I do have Live Services! :)

It's no big deal. However, last night did worry me because when I was trying to reboot, I got the black screen with the information about revisions and such. I powered down and plugged it into the computer and all went well. Today it's been a peach. It updated properly. Whatever it is seems affected mostly by manually turning the unit on. Since I plan on keeping it in the vehicle, it's not really a problem. I have a nice switchable 12V power supply for it so I don't wear out the TT adapter plug by pulling it out and pushing it in. Using that thing, the Go works beautifully.

I do have to say, Live Services doesn't prove much worth in the Armpit of the Universe, err...I mean my home area! :rolleyes: HD traffic is kinda growing on me though nothing happens around here. I may decide to subscribe!

This unit seems much more finicky than my XL when navigating. Today, I passed by a recommended turn to proceed to the next interstate exit. When the unit recalculated, the route on the map was insane, but the voice spoke the proper directions. The map arrows and red route directed a u-turn onto the southbound lane (impossible- I'd need a tank to get across the median), then they redirected again into a circular route through a field (no road) and back onto the southbound lane! :eek: Finally, as I approached the correct exit, everything came together. I'm mostly amused by all this as I am a TomTom fanboy. The Go's voice recognition is something else altogether. Today I told it to direct me to Emory, Virginia (a stop on I-81). It then asked me what street in El Carillo, Camarillo or some such thing! Huh?!:lol:

The black screen with white text should only appear if you hold down the power button way too long during a reboot. You can and should release the button as soon as you see the TomTom logo and hear the drums start.

Believe me, I didn't want to see it at all! :)

I think she'll be okay once we get acquainted.

Have a good weekend and thanks for all the info! Bill.

Members online

Latest resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimvandenberg

Latest Threads

Back