Be Mr. Spock: TT vs. G...

I'm ready to purchase a GPS. After discussing it on this forum and TomTom's official forum (at least, the discussion forum), I thought I had settled on an XXL540. Then for some reason, while looking on Amazon I became enamoured of the Garmin 2555LMT and the Via 1535TM.

I have done research on both, but I find the Garmin information and reviews tainted by extreme fanboy-ism such that the unit is stellar simply because it's Garmin. At the same time, the reviews for the 1535TM make all sorts of references to faulty displays, units going dead suddenly and trouble with the PC interface software.

My question: While trying to be unemotional as possible, how do Garmin units in general compare to TT- especially when compared to TT's IQ Routes, which I love? I know TomTom from using my sister's XL One. Are the bugs with the Via pretty much straightened out? For those who own the unit, are you pleased with its performance?

Any help you can offer would be most appreciated.

Regards, Kyuzo.

The 1535 TM mdel is known as a Nav3 device and uses MyTomTom, rather than Home 2, which the 540 used.

Personally, I would use a 540, especially if it came with lifetime maps.

I can't speak for Garmins but others here may chime in.

May I ask why you prefer the 540 to the Via?

I ask respectfully because you folks have much more knowledge of the current units than I. The reason I ask is because I have been reading reviews of the new TomToms and there are MANY complaints about updates and MyTomTom. This is the reason I was looking at Garmin.

Thanks!

The 540 has much more functionality (including true Itinerary Planning) than doe Nav 3 devices.

The user also has access to the file system on the 540 using Windows Explorer or Mac's Finder.

One down side to the 540 is that is has no slot for a sdhc card so additional purchased maps may necessitate copying the original map to the computer to make room. But's it's not a big deal.

Again, this is my opinion but others may have legitimate reasons for going with a newer Nav 3 device.

The 1535 TM model is known as a Nav3 device and uses MyTomTom, rather than Home 2, which the 540 used.

Personally, I would use a 540, especially if it came with lifetime maps.

I can't speak for Garmins but others here may chime in.
I have the XXL540 and the GO LIVE 1535. I really like the 1535's Bluetooth connection with my phone that lets me have hands-free phone service in the car. Other than that, I have a modest preference for the XXL540 because it is treated as just another drive by the PC, while the 1535 does not let you directly work with the files on the GPS - it has to be done using MyTomTom, which does all the file management behind a curtain.

There is no question that when MyTomTom was introduced it had major shortcomings compared to HOME 2. In general, most of those issues have been addressed by now, although I still see some room for improvement with MtTomTom. When compared with a 1535 that does not have Bluetooth capability, I think that I would choose the XXL540. With Bluetooth in my GO LIVE model, I think that I have a slight overall preference for the 1535.

BTW, I regularly follow another web site that is focused primarily on POI files and happens to have a lot of participation by Garmin owners. There are a LOT of complaints there about Garmin issues. Based upon over two years of following that site, my personal opinion is that neither Garmin nor TomTom is a clear winner over the other company. Make a list of the features that are important to you and research the alternatives from each company. You may - or may not - find a model that is the best for your needs from one company or the other, or from both companies. In the latter case, make your decision based upon factors like price. (YMMV)

- Tom -

Well, if I did not value your learned opinion, I would not ask! :thumb:

Anyway, I would not be purchasing extra maps. All I need is the US map. I had thought that the voice recognition of the Via might be an asset. But then I have voice recog on my phone and that's a bit spotty depending on whether I have the windows rolled down...:D

Again, my sincerest thanks for your aid! Regards, Kyuzo.

Anyway, I would not be purchasing extra maps. All I need is the US map. I had thought that the voice recognition of the Via might be an asset. But then I have voice recog on my phone and that's a bit spotty depending on whether I have the windows rolled down...:D
When I first got the GO LIVE 1535 I was very UNimpressed by the voice recognition. However, TomTom has improved it to the point where I am actually very pleased by it now.

The other thing that surprised me very much from day one was the high quality of the speech processing by the speaker and microphone in the GO LIVE 1535, when using it as a hands-off phone. In my experience the speaker has provided excellent sound in the car, and I actually have had people on the other end tell me that they had no idea that I was not speaking into a hand-held phone while standing on a sidewalk. I have no idea if this is typical of the TomTom units in general, but it has been my personal experience.

FWIW, I have seen a number of complaints from Garmin users about frustration with unsuccessful attempts to use their units as a hands-off Bluetooth phone. I did not make any note of the Garmin models involved, and I also have no idea if these were typical results with Garmin units in general. However, I can comment that I don't recall anyone in those threads stating that their personal experiences were far better than those of the people who were complaining.

- Tom -

You've been a great help, -et- as you've addressed some of my concerns.

To be frank, here's what has kept me on the fence:

From my readings, it seems as if TomTom- post the Microsoft disturbance- has been a bit adrift trying to reorder their house. I see reviews that bring up multiple issues related to the Home2/MyTomTom switch, poor performance of hardware, bad customer service, and others.
On the Garmin front, it seems they too have changed their navigation system a bit, but if the fanboys are to be believed, their performance has stayed relatively positive. From the TomTom reviewers who use both, I keep seeing references to Garmin units picking routes that are poor relative to IQ Routes (I trust IQ implicitly).

I can't help but wonder if both aren't more interested in smartphone aps and in-car navigation and are letting personal units slide.

Anyway, thanks again. Your points on the Bluetooth have me interested. My vehicle hasn't Bluetooth, so the TomTom would be handy.

Kindest Regards and Thanks, Kyuzo.

In my experience the speaker has provided excellent sound in the car, and I actually have had people on the other end tell me that they had no idea that I was not speaking into a hand-held phone while standing on a sidewalk.
I have no problems with the speaker either but just as with my 930, people say I do not come in loud enough with the GO 1535.
Maybe it is because the devices are about 2 feet away form my driving position.
I would not know how to increase the microphone volume.

I ended up going with a Via 1535TM. Thing is, when I got it from Amazon, it turned out to be a GO LIVE 1535M with a traffic receiver. So it's a GO LIVE 1535TM. :confused: I don't know whether I got value or not.

I like it reasonably well so far, except for all the inactive menu options (Twitter, Xpedia, Restaurants, etc...). The Bluetooth is taking a bit to get used to- I nearly had a heart attack today when the TomTom answered a (first) call from my sister, and I quite honestly hate MyTomTom compared to Home.

The navigation is spot on, which is why I chose TT. I do like how this unit tells on which side of the street my destination is. Oddly, it also can find my driveway, which my 140S has difficulty doing (and my friend's Garmin says is one street over! :rolleyes: ).

Again, thanks for the help and advice! Bill.

Not knowing what you paid, it's hard to know just what kind of deal you got, but be advised that the GO 1535 is a good bit more unit than the Via 1535.

I thought that all of these units came with at least a 30 day (some longer) trial subscription to "Live" services such that Expedia and Live Traffic and Weather and all would be available to you. It's been so long since I activated a new :Live unit that I can't even recall what, if anything, was special in the box to allow for this. Have you connected this new unit to your PC and given it a new email address (do NOT use the email address you used for your 140 when creating an account for it!).

Thank you for the good thoughts on the Go. I'm fairly pleased with the unit, just irked at Amazon- For instance, isn't a GO basically a Via with HD, so if I don't have HD I've essentially got a Via with a bunch of inactive menu options? :confused: Still, I've decided to keep it since it's growing on me and the retun is just an expense and a hassle. Honestly, all these different categories and different units within categories puzzle me- and it's not just TT, Garmin does that as well. I suppose I should be thankful that I got a Go.

When I got the unit, the appearance puzzled me. Amazon had stuck a printed label over the Go logos on the box and the standard traffic receiver was included in place of the HD receiver. The labels had "Via 1535TM" on them. I knew it wasn't a Via since it lacked the metal face plate. When I created my account, sure enough the MyTomTom screen said that I had a Go Live 1535M. My free map update code was out of date (no surprise there, that kind of problem is in reviews all over the web). I called CS and my guy was fantastic. Why TT's CS gets so many bad reps is beyond me. My guy even set up my two email addresses the way I wanted them so as not to mess up updates on my XL or Go. During the work, he did notice the discrepancies concerning the Via/Go mixup (I called it a Via during our conversation, and he pointed out that it was a Go). He was great. My updates have been smooth.

I do like it, but quite honestly the menu bothers me having so many inactive sections (I'm obsessive compulsive, can't help it! :) ). I'm truly liking the fact that the unit tells you which side of the road your destination is on. I've heard Garmineers brag for years about this, and never thought much about it. Now that I'm using it, I find it a very nice feature. When my sister was visiting Atlanta with the XL, she kept complaining about trying to find the destination once the XL said she'd arrived.

As to the thirty day trial, I suppose not having the GO Live antenna may have something to do with it- Amazon only included the standard traffic receiver used on the lower models. When I choose "Weather" the unit tries to dial out on my cellphone but nothing after that. On the other options I get an "Oops, we've got an error 148" or something like that.

At any rate, I love the TomTom as a navigator. I really don't need it telling Twitter where I'm visiting. All I want it to do is to get me there the best way possible, and so far TT has always done that! :thumb:

Thanks again for all your help! Bill.

Last edited:
The Via does not come with HD traffic. Only the GO model comes with that.

Please help us by identifying the first two characters of the serial number of your unit. A US spec VIA 1535 will start with BO. A US spec GO 1535 will start with FQ.

A GO 1535TM comes with the RDS traffic receiver to be used when you are not within Live coverage areas or do not choose to subscribe to Live services. There is no 'antenna' for Live services -- there is a cellular modem built into the unit with an internal antenna. So we're still not clear about what you own.

Sorry about the confusion. I refer to it as a Go Live 1535TM because it is (to me) a Go 1535 with Lifetime Maps and a traffic receiver. Its serial number begins with FQ. It's not a Via, Amazon simply substituted this model for the Via I ordered. I did not realize the info regarding the antenna on the HD. The reason I thought there was a dedicated receiver for the Live HD was that Amazon had a GO charger which had a multipin connector at the end. I believe it was for the 2535.

Like I say, I'm not angry. I like the unit and am slowly learning its ins and outs. Today I had a fog icon appear which nearly drove me mad while trying to figure out what it meant. I've got the manual download, just haven't gotten into it until this afternoon.

Regards, Bill.

Thanks to your info canderson, I may subscribe to HD in the future- making lemonade out of lemons! :) I was under the assumption that I would need an HD antenna to use with my Go.

Thanks again, Bill.

Sweet! You got a few bucks more worth of GPS than you bargained (and paid) for, which is always nice!

Again, you should have a full year (I checked) of Live services coming to you to play with since this is a new unit. I'm just feeling really stupid about the actual enrollment process for a brand new unit because it's been SO long and we don't see questions on this very often.

My recollection is that it will just make the connection as needed when first powered on. Whether you'll get Live or RDS traffic depends upon whether there are services in your area. Your avatar doesn't include any location info.

Think I saw somewhere that mvl posted the authentication code for lifetime maps included in the package of materials showing: IMPORTANT-DO NOT DISCARD isn't included anymore.

I may be mistaken, though..............

I can't tell you all how appreciative of your help I am. One thing, is HD generally available mostly in urban areas? I live in the rural Mid-Atlantic. I'm figuring that unless I go on a road trip that HD might go mostly unnoticed! :)

Again, I thank you for your kindness. Have a great weekend, Bill.

HD traffic is available essentially everywhere, not just on major roads.

That said, it indeed may not be as precise on rural roads but I don't imagine there are that many traffic jams in areas like that anyway.

Here's a tip:

Go here www.routes.tomtom.com and click the 'Live Traffic' link at the top of the screen. You'll get an idea of what is covered for your area.

Thanks ever so much for your help. The generally amicable nature of TomTom users is one reason why I love these units. :thumb:

This weekend I'm going to study the unit more. I had to work this week and have been driving around with it to get a feel for it. Thanks to your and canderson's explanations, I now know why I keep seeing "3 incidents in your area" popping up on the screen. I couldn't remember the XL doing that and thought it was due to a software update.

I just repaired my car, so I may try a combined shakedown voyage/ roadtrip on the interstate this weekend. Who knows- I may get to try the Roadside Assistance if my mechanic skills aren't up to snuff! :D

Thank you again for your help and have a great weekend. Warmest Regards, Bill.

Members online

Latest resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TomTom VIA 220 from Oz

Latest Threads

Back