Anyone else hugely disappointed with MapShare?

I just downloaded a new USA map and there are MANY streets that are visible on the map but you can't navigate them. They are seen as white with dotted pink lines. Is there something wrong with this map? The older map was fine. Can this be fixed? Someone help!

Pink dotted roads are private roads. According to TomTom's database, the general public can't use them.

I got frustrated Wed or Thurs and reloaded my 710 maps. Still nothing with MapShare. Fri evening, I tried again and the TomTom said it needed to redownload the maps and MapShare updates. I don't know if they fixed something or reloading the maps did it. It took 1 hr 45 min to redownload the maps, but I now have all 13000+ corrections. My TTHOME still is at 2.2.1.58.

You shoud be able to make a correction on that and unblock the road. I have noticed that sometimes they will show roads into apartment complexes show up as blocked for some reason. Just go into the map corrections, and choose "unblock streets"

Mapshare migt get better through time, but I will wait to buy a new map, as many report not seeing any change.

Just something to add to the discussion regarding MapShare. There's a road in front of my office building that was extended about 5 years ago to connect up with a major road. This extension is not showing on even the latest maps. I did a map correction and have sent the through. I then contacted TomTom support to ask for clarification if this update would show up on my maps or if I would have to wait for the next map update to see this. Support told me that it would show up on my unit, but it could take a couple of weeks to show up.

Sorry for the downer first post....but here goes...

So far, my experience overall with TomTom has been kinda aggravating...

I live within a mile of a newly opened stretch of highway in the western suburbs of Chicago that opened to traffic in early November of last year. This highway is a 12.5-mile, six-lane extension of the Veterans Memorial Tollway aka I-355, running from I-55 through Will County south to I-80. This is a major extension in that it has opened a corridor between 2 previously unconnected parts of the Chicago suburbs.

I purchased my TomTom One in the middle of February of this year only to find that the extension was not reflected in the map that came with the unit. After downloading the latest "map guarantee" from TomTom, I further found the extension not part of the updated maps. So I called customer service to ask if they had any idea the best way to get this changed.

I was told that I should submit the corrections to mapshare, and that when the next update happened, I would see the corrections. I tried to explain to them that this is a large correction, with new roads, entrances and exits, etc. In the end I was told that mapshare was my best bet....or I could wait and pay for the next map update....whenever that would be.

So I started looking online and found that other people in my area claim to have already submitted the changes, or have called in with similar questions, as far back as December and January, and nothing has changed in the system.

So I called TomTom again, and was told that mapshare takes several weeks to verify, and to try again with an update to my unit in late March.

So I did...and nothing has changed. So I called TomTom again, and this time was told that they are having problems with mapshare, and that they actually haven't had an update since early December of last year. They claim that people will see corrections they make themselves on their units, but others won't see them as they haven't been able to make the "sharing" part work yet. She then told me that updates like the one I need could take 2-3 YEARS to be corrected. So I asked why it would take so long if the extension already shows up on GoogleMaps. Her response was that TomTom isn't a map company. So I asked to speak to a supervisor. When I finally got one, I was able to ask all my questions and maybe finally have a straight answer. Basically he said that for updates like mine, where I need road altering updates made, mapshare won't help at all. The only thing that will fix this is whenever TomTom gets an updated map from whoever provides them their maps, and then they offer it for sale....and even then he said it might not make that update....it could be the following update. Which sucks....because I could end up spending more on maps than I did the TomTom.

So I sorta feel disappointed with mapshare, but more with TomTom overall. The unit itself is cool...works fine...but the customer service has been really confusing...

Oh well...

jk

TomTom, Map Share, Tele Atlas jerking me around

Yes, this is a rant, and yes, I'm mad as heck. I know this thread is OLD...BUT...

On June 14, 2009, I purchased an update to the USA_and_Canada map for my TomTom GO 510. Upon installing the new map, I found I could no longer navigate from my apartment (which is off the main road by about 150 meters) to the main road in front of my apartment complex. THE ROADS WITHIN MY APARTMENT COMPLEX HAD BEEN DELETED ON THE "UPDATED" MAP, AND THE GO COULD NOT NAVIGATE TO THE MAIN ROAD BECAUSE THE "UNNAMED ROADS" WERE NO LONGER THERE.

Easy solution--give me my old map back. NO, says TomTom. Once your map is gone, your map is gone. We don't archive maps. Oh! But you can FOOL THE TOMTOM BY TELLING IT YOU LIVE ON THE MAIN STREET.

Fine. I correct my location to make the TomTom "think" I'm on the main street. UNFORTUNATELY, IT STILL SENSES MY GPS LOCATION AND TRIES TO ROUTE ME FROM THERE--WHERE TOMTOM HAS CONVENIENTLY DELETED THE STREETS!!! The GO is LOST!!!

Great. So I subscribe to Mapshare and submit AT LEAST FIVE UPDATES to my apartment complex's roads in the space of a week. Did Mapshare correct the map? NO.

Wonderful. So I submit Mapshare corrections DIRECTLY TO TELE ATLAS, requesting THEY correct the map. They respond saying the corrections have been received and will be taken care of. Did Mapshare correct the map? NO! THANKS A LOT, TELE ATLAS!!!

Super! So now, I contact TomTom and SUGGEST--no, make that REQUEST--that they give me ONE FREE UPDATE to my map, for DELETING the roads that helped me navigate out of my apartment complex to the main street again, ONCE THE MAP IS FIXED. Now, don't you think TomTom as a customer service gesture could go ahead and man-up, accept the responsibility for SCREWING UP THE MAP, and give me a new replacement? NO!!! Their suggestion--BUY A NEW MAP!!!

Keep in mind I submitted this correction AT LEAST NINE MONTHS AGO AND IT IS STILL NOT CORRECTED. Oh!!! But it's CORRECT on TomTom's famous "Route Planner" map! THAT map is JUST FINE! Fancy that!!! Google Maps shows the correct streets. Bing Maps shows the correct streets. Yahoo! Maps shows the correct streets. WELL WHAT ABOUT MY TOMTOM!?? WHY DOESN'T IT SHOW THE CORRECT STREETS!!??

Let me tell you why--TOMTOM WANTS ME TO PAY FOR ANOTHER WORTHLESS MAP, THAT'S WHY!!!

End of rant. Almost. Buy Garmin. (One more thing. I'm still trying to get this matter resolved through the Massachusetts Attorney General's office. TomTom, your customer service STINKS. What kind of company puts its "valued customers" through this kind of nightmare!? I'LL TELL YOU WHO--TOMTOM, THAT'S WHO!!)

Attachments

• NewMapWRONGBlurred.jpg
    NewMapWRONGBlurred.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 345
More than anything else, Mapshare is a way for TomTom to have us all update the maps for them so they can sell us the finished product. What beats me is that they break things, and lose roads etc. and they do not update these corrections for free. When you do buy an updated map, there is not guarrantee that it will have what you need. It's a bit of a crap shoot.

Somone has to verify your corrections before they go out. That takes time. I suspect that a lot of these changes are not even looked at until they decide they need to work on that area of the world.

So is mapshare working? I have no idea.

The operative word in "crap shoot" being, crap. Seriously. Some of us (myself as an example) paid $300 or more for these TomTom GPS devices when they first came out. Then, when we update it using products the company sells, the functionality becomes so difficult or annoying to use, we wish we had never bought the thing! The company is no help in this regard, either. Free replacement? Forget it! Maps of guaranteed quality and accuracy? Forget it! It really is a sad, sad situation (and it's getting more and more absurd).

I can understand map verifications taking time. But I've waited 9 months, and my corrections STILL DON'T SHOW UP on my map. So when I say their own "Route Planner" map DOES show my local roads...and the map they sold me DOESN'T...well, it just doesn't get any worse.

The TomTom GO 510 was designed to route your trip from your GPS location. MINE DOESN'T. Thanks, TomTom. Thanks--literally--for nothing. (Because that's what the map you sold me is worth to me as a planning guide from where I live.)

It is absolutely bizarre that the PREVIOUS map edition was JUST FINE...and the "update" was wrong. Isn't that like a step BACKWARD?

In my area there's 3 roundabouts that were changed into traffic light junctions between 1 and 3 years ago and none of them have been updated on TomTom maps!

Mapshare seems completely pointless.

I hate to mention it on this forum, but you old map can be found... I would not hesitate to use it under your circustances. TomTom should give you your money back, give you your old map back, and perhaps a credit for future use. That would be the proper thing to do.

grwebster, I don't mind you mentioning it on this forum. In fact, thank you for your sympathetic thoughts. I wish TomTom's customer service folks shared your thoughtfulness!

I honestly feel customers should be entitled to some satisfaction after becoming loyal customers. I never dreamed that asking for either a replacement map or having my original map restored (WITH THE ROADS INTACT), would present an insurmountable hardship for a company the size of TomTom International. But apparently, thumbing their collective nose at me is all they will do. Oh...and, of course, suggesting I try another form of route planning (not acceptable--"Time To Destination" planning only works when used with a GPS position) or buy another new map!!

By the way, I was told straight away that my old map "can't be recovered" because they changed map providers to Tele Atlas. I wish I had kept a backup; but since I was purchasing an updated map at the time, I didn't see much point in doing so. Critical error!

I wonder... What exactly would giving one free map to a disappointed customer cost? Would they go broke? Sorry I'm so facetious, that's purely frustration coming out.

:(...

OK I guess I see their issue. Still they should still have the right to have those maps on their units, and I would bet money that someone there has one. At least that explains why the roads disappeared. For them to say they don't archive is ridiculous.

Ask a Question