Antenna

DLH

TomTom Model(s)
Looking at the XXL 540S
Hi everyone

I don't actually own a TomTom at this time but I am seriously thinking about buying the XXL 540S. They are having a good sale at Cabela's and with my club points I can get it and a carrying case for free. Here's my question. I searched the Internet and have found some reference to TomTom and external antennas but can't pin it down that the XXL 540S has a port for one. I would prefer to mount the device on the console. If not, are there any TomToms that do.

DLH

That model uses a traffic antenna that is combined with the car charger and uses the usb port on the unit.

The newer TomTom products are far beter at finding a GPS signal and holding on to it which negates the need for an external aerial, this also applies with the device mounted low down in the dash rather than the more usual windscreen mounting arangement.
On its own it will work fine, as far as I know none of the current models have an external GPS aerial socket due primaraly to the increase in sensitivity of the internal GPS receiver fitted - Mike

Hi everyone

I don't actually own a TomTom at this time but I am seriously thinking about buying the XXL 540S. They are having a good sale at Cabela's and with my club points I can get it and a carrying case for free. Here's my question. I searched the Internet and have found some reference to TomTom and external antennas but can't pin it down that the XXL 540S has a port for one. I would prefer to mount the device on the console. If not, are there any TomToms that do.

DLH
I can report that I've had my TT just about everywhere in the cockpit and always been surprised at the quality of satellite reception. Unless you own a vehicle that uses the metalized tinting material in the window glass (just a few German models, as I understand it) that totally blocks GPS frequency RF, you shouldn't need an external antenna. I certainly wouldn't invest in one unless you actually find a need for it.

That said, yes, there is a port on the rear for an external antenna.

Thanks everyone.

That confirms what my sister-in-law said. I'm wasn't sure she understood what I was asking so I posted here just to make sure.

I have a Lowrance H2O hand held that I use for fishing and for the road. It won't work sitting on the consul without the remote antenna. Also, it won't plot a route for me and on the road without a co-pilot, it's a bit dangerous.

I'm sure I'll be back on this site asking questions after I get it.

DLH

I emailed TomTom about the antenna and they said they were out of them but there should still be ones in stock at different places. They suggested I try and Google to find one. I did and had no luck.

Well, yesterday my TomTom XXL 540S came and guess what. There is no place to plug in a GPS signal antenna. I just hope it works sitting on the consul because I don't the idea of it shinning in my face while driving at night. O well, I got the thing for free including shipping so I really should not complain.

DLH

The newer models have a more robust gps chip such that an external antenna is not usually required.

There is no place to plug in a GPS signal antenna.
? All of the full spec lists I've seen for that model show "External Antenna - Optional". Would lead one to believe there's a jack there. If so, it won't be obvious - it will be under a rubber plug that seals the jack unless/until it is needed.

Hi DHN,

I have had a GO 920 that I use an external antenna on for about two years. I use a Garmin (yes i know...) P/N 013-00202-00 GA25 MCX antenna. Without the antenna my TT mounted on the windshield of my Mercedes sometimes gets lost in the downtown of big cities. With the antenna attached and on the roof in a shark fin the TT never ever get lost and rarely ever loses full signal strength on 10 or more sats. Sitting in a open parking lot I get about 25% more signal with the antenna attached. I do not know if the connector is the same on the 540 XXL as for the go 920. I suggest an antenna be used if you travel often in the big city. I for one will stay on my island..... One warning... The antenna does suck the life out of the battery pretty quickly if the external power source is not powered up.

...on the windshield of my Mercedes...
Note the comment above about metallic tinting material in the OEM glass of certain German models. Sounds like you've got one.

I've looked and looked but still can't a place to plug in an antenna on the XXL 540. Nor have I found an antenna on the Internet that says it's for the XXL 540. I haven't tried taking a ride with it yet but I've noticed one thing while looking at it at home. Compared to my Lowrance hand held, the XXL540 is much more sensitive in the house. Locks in on the satellites in only a few seconds.

DLH

The 540 can use an antenna that is a combo traffic/car charger. It has no room for one of those external gps antennas that fit into the round slot.

Ask a Question