"An error has occurred" countless times, TomTom Home

Whenever I use TomTom Home, I always run into the "an error has occurred" message a countless number of times, even when doing simple things like updating map corrections. Strangely, it doesn't impede what I am doing at the time; it just delays it for a few seconds, then brings up the error message. Clicking "OK" makes it go away and it resumes operation like normal.
I literally can't say how many times I've received the error message. The number is so high that it almost seems like TomTom Home was designed to show the error message around every corner, whether there is an error or not. While it appears that no error is actually occurring, it is somewhat frustrating to have it show up so many times.

I managed to copy the message from one of the many errors. Can anyone make some sense of what it's telling me?

ERROR: Internal/Malformed#createItemFromDLL/Internal/Malformed: Exception: We're sorry, but HOME can't complete that task. Please try again later, or contact customer support. For problems with items that are stored on your device, we advise you to remove and re-install the item.
Malformed Item info:
name = Julie
id = Fran?ais (CA) - Julie
version = 510
locationType = 1252
install location physicalType = 1502
metadata =

Severity: 1105
-
Internal/Malformed: Malformed: We're sorry, but HOME can't complete that task. Please try again later, or contact customer support. For problems with items that are stored on your device, we advise you to remove and re-install the item.
Versions must be groups of digits, separated by dots
Bad value: "" (type: string)
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemFactory.js:43
let wrapper = new Exception(null, newId);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemFactory.js:90
var modelitem = this.createItemFromDLL(dllitem, onlyType);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemList.js:55
var models = gApplication.itemFactory.createItemListFromDLL(dllItemList, onlyType);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:315
itemList.addItemListFromDLL(doneLocation.deviceNavItems());
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
5. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:73
this._successCallback(this.successText);
6. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:58
this._success();

CAUSE: Internal/Malformed: Malformed: We're sorry, but HOME can't complete that task. Please try again later, or contact customer support. For problems with items that are stored on your device, we advise you to remove and re-install the item.
Versions must be groups of digits, separated by dots
Bad value: "" (type: string)
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/serverinput.js:271
throw new Malformed("Versions must be groups of digits, separated by dots", uc);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/subtype/ttVoice.js:147
this._engineVersion = makeSafe.version(item.engineVersion);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemFactory.js:39
result.importFromDLL(item);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemFactory.js:90
var modelitem = this.createItemFromDLL(dllitem, onlyType);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/model/ttItemList.js:55
var models = gApplication.itemFactory.createItemListFromDLL(dllItemList, onlyType);
5. chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:315
itemList.addItemListFromDLL(doneLocation.deviceNavItems());
6. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
7. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:73
this._successCallback(this.successText);
8. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:58
this._success();

Time: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 00:05:45 GMT

I'm using Home v. 2.7.6.2056.

I had some similar issues right after updating to Home 2.8. In my case, it was complaining about the format of some very old map files from a Home backup eons ago (a 715 map!). As I had no use for it, I nuked the map.

It seems that Home 2.8 is doing some new validity checking, and is either finding old problems or imagining new ones. As you say, just clicking the X, shutting down the window, and off you go to do whatever you were doing.

In one case, it appears to be a voice called Julie that is being dinged. Is there such on your unit?

There's a 2.8? Huh, never checked for updates. Updating now.
As for Julie, there is no Julie on my device, nor when I scroll through the list of all my possible voices (including ones that are not installed) does it show up. I am presuming that this is why I am receiving errors.

There's a 2.8? Huh, never checked for updates. Updating now.
As for Julie, there is no Julie on my device, nor when I scroll through the list of all my possible voices (including ones that are not installed) does it show up. I am presuming that this is why I am receiving errors.
Home wasn't complaining about something on my device - it was complaining about one of the files in a very old backup it found in the My Documents / TomTom / HOME folder. If you've ever backed anything up there, or shuffled anything off to the PC from your TT, it's all fodder for Home to agitate over.

I checked all the folders in there -- the only folder not empty is HOME > download > complete, in which I have one map, the GPSQuickFixes, and one wallpaper that were downloaded. Nothing about Julie in sight.

The bit in the error info I'm trying to make sense of is this:

name = Julie
id = Fran?ais (CA) - Julie
version = 510

I can't help but think that a French Canadian voice called Julie was offered for TomTom in the distant past. Ring any bells with any of our other "old" Canadian users? dhn?

What model TT do you have?

That's what I figured as well, but it's not even on the list of non-installed standard voices on my device...
I have an XL 310 Canada. Not sure if "Canada" is actually part of the model name.

Don't have my units to check but indeed I seem to remember 'Julie' as a French voice offered for at least one of the units.

That's what I figured as well, but it's not even on the list of non-installed standard voices on my device...
I have an XL 310 Canada. Not sure if "Canada" is actually part of the model name.
Didn't realize there was ever an XL310 model. Learn something new here every day!

Note that if Home found a "defective" voice during initialization, it's not going to show up as an installed component. So it can be there (damaged) but not appear in the inventory as an available option.

OK - this is going to sound really tedious, and may not be worth the trouble if you can keep getting past the problem. Ah - meant to ask, what level of Home are you running now?

Understanding that there may be some redundancy here from your previous effort... I would open Home and look at all of the path information contained in Tools > Home Preferences > Folders. Be sure that that there are no surprises there, and that all four of the entries point to somewhere in .../My Documents/TomTom/HOME

Now, do a search (don't know whether you're on a Mac or Windows box) across the entire TomTom directory for a file or folder containing the word "Julie".

Next, with your unit plugged in and running, do the same for it. Any instance of a file or folder containing the word "Julie" anywhere.

With your unit plugged in and running, search the "voices" folder on your TomTom for files called Data29.chk, Data29.vif, Data29.tlv and Data29.bmp.

With your unit plugged in and running, locate a folder called either LoquendoTTS or VocalizerTTS in the root of your unit. Let me know which of the two you have.

Don't have my units to check but indeed I seem to remember 'Julie' as a French voice offered for at least one of the units.

That's understandable; however, I don't ever recall seeing it in the list for the 310. *shrug*

I updated to the latest version, 2.8.0.2146. Oh, and I'm in a Windows. :)
Now to try your "tedious" method...
Yes, all four paths lead to the My Documents/TomTom/Home directory...
I did a search in that directory for "Julie" in My Documents and found no results...

Aha, would ya look at that. Searching the device shows a bunch of results with Julie in the name, specifically "julie0", "julie1" and "julie2" in the VocalizerTTS subdirectory, with many more .dat and .dhr files with "julie" in the name.

As for the Data29 files, I do not have any of those four -- none named Data29.*.

I think I know where you're going with this. "Data29" deals with the French voice named Julie, which apparently there are records of on my device, but there is no actual usable "data" associated with it... or something like that.

Aha, would ya look at that. Searching the device shows a bunch of results with Julie in the name, specifically "julie0", "julie1" and "julie2" in the VocalizerTTS subdirectory, with many more .dat and .dhr files with "julie" in the name.
Aha is right! Looks like we've found what Home is objecting to, for whatever reason.

OK - I've only had the LoquendoTTS folders on my models, and want to manage this carefully so that we don't muck anything up. Would it be possible for you to do a screen shot or something of the entire contents of the first level of the VocalizerTTS folder?

Also, which computer voice(s) (by name) ARE you using on your unit at present?

Aha is right! Looks like we've found what Home is objecting to, for whatever reason.

OK - I've only had the LoquendoTTS folders on my models, and want to manage this carefully so that we don't muck anything up. Would it be possible for you to do a screen shot or something of the entire contents of the first level of the VocalizerTTS folder?

Also, which computer voice(s) (by name) ARE you using on your unit at present?

Here's the screenshot, and those 3 julie files are in there.

The only voices installed are:
US - Mandy, Lori, Bonnie, Richard
French - Catherine, Jacques (no Julie)
Spanish - Raul, Norma

If I follow you correctly, you are currently using NO text-to-speech (pronounces street names) voices. Is this correct? I don't see that any are installed and available in your list.

I'm believing that Julie was the original "text to speech" voice for your model.

Last edited:
If by that you mean I am not using a computer voice but instead one of the "human" voices, then yes -- I am using Mandy.
Ah, that would make sense. I do remember on first-time startup when choosing a voice, I chose her, and then it said that voice wouldn't have full pronunciation capabilities (street names and such, so I am presuming) because it wasn't a computer voice. It asked if I wanted to use a computer voice, and I hit "No".
To rectify what's going on, could I simply delete the three "julie" .ogg files?

Last edited:
As I've not had Vocalizer on my units, I cannot be certain whether simply removing those 3 files would be sufficient, or whether a couple of other pointers to the voice (and some files deeper into those folders) are necessary to remove the voice.

A "computer" voice sounds sorta human, but is designed to provide "text to speech" ability. That allows your TT to see street and exit names and pronounce them. Rather than just telling you to turn right, it might say "Turn right on Main Street". That's a "computer" voice. If I recall correctly, Mandy is NOT such a voice, and gives basic directions only, no names.

What we need is for some of the "older" TT users around here to pipe up who know exactly what the directory structure looks like below the VocalizerTTS folder so that all of the "Julie" files can be excised properly without disturbing anything else. At that point, you could probably fetch a computer voice using Home that would actually pronounce streets for you again.

Deleting those files should NOT affect the functionality and MAY eliminate the buggy error.
True enough, but it may be necessary to dig a little further down, too. Those 3 *.ogg files can't represent all of what a TTS voice has in its repertoire. As you say, it can't hurt to delete those three, but I'd be inclined to delete those files and any others there and below that folder with the word Julie in it in any fashion.

Next, take out the vmobile_select_Julie... file. That may be the indicator to the firmware that this voice is an option that could be selected by the user.

Ah, it would appear that has resolved the problem! I'm no longer receiving the error at all.
Fine work, gentlemen. +Rep for excellent service! :)

Ask a Question