Active Dock Mount Kit for GO730

does anyone know if there is an Active Dock Mount Kit for the GO730?
Its a real pain having to mess around with all the leads each time you mount this unit!

Yes, Brodit of the UK makes one. They're marketed in the U.S. by ProClip, and the dock/cradle connects to the Proclip line of mounts. Cradle $60 + proclip mount $30,
I think there's also one called the Dashboard Flex Mount, but I'm fuzzy on that one.

Search the forums, or check the web. Good luck!

Carcomm who are a Dutch company make a number of different active cradles for the x20/ x30 devices, well worth looking at if you want RDS-TMC connected and the Audio line out as well as the power cable - Decent kit.

There is also the "cheap skate" method for an active dock and thats to modify the home dock so it can attach to a Brodit Pro-Clip:

First of all this requires "adjustment" of the supplied Home docking cradle, and the provision of some Brodit hardware.

Tools Used:

A Dremel, or small electric drill, files, screwdriver, hacksaw and a Torx bit No6.

Objective is to provide an Active powered mount for the 720 that is powered from the cars ignition, full access to the RDS-TMC/ iPOD connector and the Audio output connector. The assembly actually screws to a Brodit Pro-Clip so it will fit a number of different vehicles, I would have used a "Move It" Clip but didn't have any spare last night, I can always retro fit the Move It clip later though.

First of all you have to dismantle the Home dock, this is relatively easy:
1/ Peel back the rubber pad from the underside of the base.
2/ Remove the four Torx No6 screws securing the metal plate to the mount body.

For the Brodit Tilt/ Swivel component I used an existing part from the scrap bin, I broke my XDA-Exec Brodit holder by forcing it in the holder with an extended batter fitted - at first this worked but over time the holder snapped - there was nothing wrong with the swivel part though so I simply unscrewed it. (Note the failure of the Exec Holder was entirely my fault, but part of it now lives on).

Fabricate the bracket out of 25x25x3MM Aluminium Angle section which should be around 120MM long, holes to secure the bracket to the swivel part and the metal base plate were drilled out at 3,5MM Diameter.
Self tapping screws secure the tilt/ swivel part to the bracket while M3 screws and self locking nuts hold the bracket to the metal base plate

Mark out the metal base plate for the holes to take the RDS-TMC/ iPOD connector and Audio line out plug, I found it easier to file these into a rounded slot, the slightly larger access provided makes connection much easier.

Make sure the metal plate holes are in the correct place before re-attaching the base to the plastic body of the holder, using the metal plate as a template drill out the plastic to gain access through to where the x20 would sit.

Clean out any remaining swarf etc before fitting the x20 in to the mount and make sure the connectors can be fully located in the respective sockets, note you should turn on the x20 and connect the RDS-TMC or iPOD to make sure the connector is fully mated and the two devices are functioning - if not you might need to remove a little more material.

Fit the Pro Clip to the vehicle, and mount the x20 in to the shoe - it should look something like this:

Electrical Power

The existing Home Dock is fitted with a standard USB connector, plug this in to the ciggie socket via a USB power adaptor, I had one in the "spares box" but these can be obtained for very little cost, I might hide the wiring over the weekend and bury another socket behind the dashboard to tidy up the installation

Around two hours to make at zero cost - all that is left to do is painting the bracket which I will do later, the device sits nice and solid in the mount, even hitting speed bumps at speed does not dislodge the device (I had to try that to be sure of the units security). In position I can adjust the angle to suit my driving position and it is much easier to put on and off the mount - quite a neat looking installation - but I am sure the official Active unit from Brodit will be better - Mike

Thanks to someone here, mounted a cigarette lighter plug under the dash and tied into a ignition on only hot lead. Snaked the wiring up the the side of the dash and car, looks like a pro install. $10, works like a charm!

Ask a Question