App:7.163 (8493/040301) OS: 1000
GPS: 1.21 Boot 1.0012
Map: N.A. V710.1609

Information obtained via Go 910

App: 7.162 (8492/071121) OS: 2327
GPS: V1.21, Boot: 4.8600
Map: N.A. V7.10.1609

Issue #1

Attaching Go to cradle and selecting "Update My GO" returns error "Not a String" and will not update. I tried the fix ( http://www.tomtom.com/support/product.php?ID=232&Language=4&FID=9096 ) as instructed by TT tech support but error persists. I have turned off AV, SPYWARE, Firewall to see if they were interfering and same results. Uninstalled/reinstalled Home v2.2 with same results. I can operate Go normally via Home v2.2 but simply can't update. BTW, screen indicates 28 WEEKS of new Mapshare updates available or similar message but can't update.

Is discrepancy between versions on Go and Home the culprit??

Issue #2:

Recently developed issues with Go turning itself off frequently while traveling...even on very smooth road surfaces...and turned itself back on just to shut down again. Battery was fully charged prior to start of trip and within 4 hours was showing low battery. Connections checked and secure. Have made same 12 hour trip before with no issues. I have replaced original windshield dock with new FM transmitter about 3 months ago with no issues until now. Battery simply draining MUCH faster than its historical average. Charged battery yesterday for 4 hours, to fully charged, and this morning while simply sitting in vehicle was down to moderate orange charge range. Fully charged to moderate charge with ONLY 15 minutes of use yesterday.

Bad battery or is ? software error draining the power? BTW, unit seems to work properly as stand alone without being attached to windshield dock.

Unit is about 18 months old and really don't want to spend $$$ to repair a unit that is nearing end of warranty period?

Suggestion anyone?

Thanks,

Larry

Issue 1. Try a hard reset or sometimes called a Pin reset. Have you tried it on another computer?

Issue 2. Your battery might be bad. This usually happens if the unit is left charging for over long periods of time, or if left in very hot or cold temperatures. If you're quite technically inclined, here's a link to a guide I wrote on how to dismantle the 910. At the end of the doc you'll find photos of the replacable components.
http://www.unc.edu/~bmoc/tomtom/Tomtom Go 910 Dismantling Manual.pdf

I've tried the pin reset to no avail.
I've backed up the software and am now reinstalling, redownloading via a separate user account on WinXPP to see if I have a Windows related issue causing the problem.
The unit is generally never overcharged...is charged overnight on the computer cradle once weekly; it usually stays in vehicle and never exposed to extreme temperatures
I'll take a look at your website to dismantle if it replacement parts become necessary.

Thanks for the feedback.

You're welcome.

I've been rereading your first post and it sounds like a TT home file is missing or corrupted, thus try uninstalling and reinstalling TT home. If you have a registry cleaner software run it before reinstalling TT home. Be sure to make a backup of your files that are stored in TT home folders.

If the reinstallation process didn't help you, try the clear flash tool via this link. http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6211&Lid=4. Although TT support claims is for mentioned problems on website it might solve your problem.

I've tried your suggestions...will take awhile to see if I have success as it is going to take over 4 hours for the program to update from the net.
I cleaned my registry with Uniblue and removed all scraps from previous installations. I installed original version of TT Home ver 1.3 and attempted to sequentially update but ran into problems as program repeatedly crashed with automatic downloads.

I gave up on upgrade route, ran the flash tool, downloaded and installed TomTomHome2winlatest.exe and am now waiting to see if I have success.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Larry

Hate to say it but...I give up on version 2.2...going back to ver 2.1 as there are too many bugs.
I discovered today that unit is NOT shutting off when power vehicle is not turned off (could explain the sudden power drainage problem). Continued problems with error message when attempting downloads. Maps downloaded (NA 7.15) will not install on device. Password protection for device has disappeared despite using home to establish password protection. There are probably other errors I just haven't discovered yet.
I'll just stick with the reliable 2.1 version and hope they correct problems before 2.3 version is out.

Anyway thanks for your suggestions Zerimar

Persistence sometimes pays off...went back to 2.1, couldn't dl latest map I had purchased so had to upgrade to 2.2 to get NA 7.15....and now almost everything "seems" to be working properly...even have Mapshares updates downloading for the first time (5860 corrections). The one thing that is still not working is the shut down when power supply is interrupted...will look for solutions to that today.

The one thing that is still not working is the shut down when power supply is interrupted...will look for solutions to that today.

I found this while surfing the TomTom website:

Title: Sometimes my GO 910/510 seems to lose power or switches off. How can this be prevented? What is being done to correct this issue?

Link: http://service.tomtom.com/cgi-bin/us.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=6234&p_created=1158776792

I can't get it to fully load at this time so try it later. Hope it helps.

regarding random 910 battery charging issues:

My 910 started doing this a couple of months ago: refusing to charge properly on either car or home charger; erratic 'charge level' indication when it was charging (full/empty/half/nothing then switch off). I was outside warranty, so I found this thread and following zerimar's excellent guide, installed a replacement battery. Unfortunately this did not solve the problem.

I contacted tomtom support and related the full tale: the fault, my lack of warranty and battery replacement (I could hardly hide my dismantling of the unit!) and they advised I return the unit for inspection. The return was handled within 24h with the delivery of sturdy packaging and a postage-paid Special Delivery bag. Within 2 days I received an email saying the unit had been fixed and would be returned. I have just received it (again postage-paid, special delivery) along with a note saying "replaced main board".

I will need a full battary cycle to confirm that charging is working again, but full marks to tomtom for this excellent customer service!

Dave,

Thanks for posting this encouraging information on TomTom service.

Since your unit was out of warranty, might we ask how much they charged for this service? I'm assuming a new board (with labor cost) the charge would be around $100.

Thanx.

it was completely FoC! -- including collection and return. Given TTs reputation I find this an amazing boost to them and the kind of thing that many companies should do to maintain brand loyalty.

Persistence sometimes pays off...went back to 2.1, couldn't dl latest map I had purchased so had to upgrade to 2.2 to get NA 7.15....and now almost everything "seems" to be working properly...even have Mapshares updates downloading for the first time (5860 corrections). The one thing that is still not working is the shut down when power supply is interrupted...will look for solutions to that today.

910's do not shut down when the power is turned off - they always have to be manually turned off (earliest application version did - but long gone).

Ask a Question