730 and car speedometer

TomTom Model(s)
Hi,
I have a small concern about the 730. When I'm traveling at 50 km/h (on the car speedometer) my 730 display 48 km/h which is only a 2 km/h difference, not a big problem but when the speed is higher 110 km/h the 730 display 103-104 km/h.

Am I the only one with this problem ?

thanks

Hi,
I have a small concern about the 730. When I'm traveling at 50 km/h (on the car speedometer) my 730 display 48 km/h which is only a 2 km/h difference, not a big problem but when the speed is higher 110 km/h the 730 display 103-104 km/h.

Am I the only one with this problem ?

thanks

Without showing the link here (cuz I forget where it is :confused: ), trust me when I say that what shows on the GPS will be accurate, NOT what shows on the speedometer.

Your TomTom uses changes in position vs. time to calculate your speed. While it may not be that precise, several units I have used has had the speed reasonably close.

When I have had speed discrepancies, it has in the past been a function ot tire size versus original equipment tire size. If you have replaced your tires with a wider cross section profile, it could have a smaller radius by enough to result in your car's speedometer indicating a higher speed that you are actually going.

Even original equipment tires can be off if the car manufacturer used different brands on the car. You can go to a number of websites that give specs for specific tires, and tires from different manufacturers of the same rim size, width, and aspect ration can vary by 5-7 % in radius, which would account for the difference you are seeing.

Your TomTom uses changes in position vs. time to calculate your speed. While it may not be that precise, several units I have used has had the speed reasonably close.

When I have had speed discrepancies, it has in the past been a function ot tire size versus original equipment tire size. If you have replaced your tires with a wider cross section profile, it could have a smaller radius by enough to result in your car's speedometer indicating a higher speed that you are actually going.

Even original equipment tires can be off if the car manufacturer used different brands on the car. You can go to a number of websites that give specs for specific tires, and tires from different manufacturers of the same rim size, width, and aspect ration can vary by 5-7 % in radius, which would account for the difference you are seeing.

I have changed the tire but it's only the model (goodyear to Nexen) same specs. It's not a real problem but only a thing I notice.

Thanks for the help.

Again, with the same specs, actual dimensions between brands vary enough to throw it off.

Well, by indicating a faster speed, maybe it will help protect you from the "bear" (and automated speed traps also).....

I had a similar question when my old Windstar speedometer would indicate speeds of 120 km/h while the TomTom indicated speed was 115 km/h.

Turns out it was the speedometer in the Windstar that was incorrect. The TomTom was accurate.

Also another way to tell if it is tire related is that the difference is larger at higher speeds. Each tire rotation adds a little error. The faster you go the more tire rotations per second and the larger the error.

Car speedometers typically read a bit high. In fact they cannot read low, it's the law. GPS is accepted as one of the most accurate measures of speed, also.

Ask a Question