720 memory full - can't get it to use memory card

Hi,

I registered for the Map Updates service and the maps slowly got larger and larger. The last update needed me to delete almost everything off the 720 (all voices bar 1, the car symbols, etc, etc). So I bought a memory card.

WHen I start home it asks which device to use (internal memory or card), but how do I go about actually using the card? With the memory card selected, if I try to reinstall my map (from Add Traffic menu, then "Items on my computer", it just puts it back on the internal memory each time.

Help!!

Regards,

Chris

Welcome to TTF, Chris.

Just use Explorer to move the entire North_America map folder onto your sdhc (not sd card I hope) card. Also, I presume the sdhc card is at least 4-gigs in size, if it is just 2-gigs, then you are wasting your time and effort. While the map will fit, you have really gained nothing over keeping it on internal.

That simple? Wow! :)

I assumed the device wouldn't find the map unless it knew to look for it (if that makes sense).

8 gig card - Tomtom website says 4 gig is max, but it seems to be happy with the 8 gig. (and yes, sdhc).

Moving files as I type. Thanks for the help.

Chris

Chris.......you'll find tons of incorrect stuff on the TT web site. They just spent the weekend reformatting the site world wide.........

Too bad they didn't spend some of that time correcting a bunch of wrong info........

For example, the Go series of models with the current application can handle up to 32-gig sized sdhc cards with no problem.

Worked a treat! Things aren't that easy any more usually!

What should I expect performance wise? Are memory cards just as good as the internal memory?

Chris

Memory Card Size

That simple? Wow! :)

I assumed the device wouldn't find the map unless it knew to look for it (if that makes sense).

8 gig card - Tomtom website says 4 gig is max, but it seems to be happy with the 8 gig. (and yes, sdhc).

Moving files as I type. Thanks for the help.

Chris

Getting ready for my new 740 to arrive I checked the TT Website and all it said was that the card had to be microSDHC. Called TT Support and after only a small wait :D was told card in size up to 8GB would work just fine, they do hear of "slow down" with use of 16gb and higher. Have Class 6 8G MicroSDHC on order (which turns out OK since everyone keeps being out of stock for the new TT740TM Live.):(

Chuck

Maybe I should try that new update to which reference was made in the other thread as my GO930 only takes a 4GB full size SDHC card. It will not recognise an 8GB MicroSD card as other TomTom devices do.

Just took it out of the closet and plugged in the USB. Am on 9.510 and 2039.
It is not recognised with a drive letter in W10 and for that matter by HOME.
20190114_184206[1].jpg

Actually the above remains after the big red X fades away while HOME is open.

Although the device is plugged in and gets power it does not show to be connected to W10 (no connect - disconnect sound not shown as a drive in Explorer.
Changed from cradle to direct mini USB cable, no change.

When was the last time your 930 was recognized on the PC you are currently using, if ever?
Was the 930 pretty well drained to the bottom for battery when you started this process?
With the 930 charged and connected, what happens if you use the reset pin to perform a hard reset?

Case resolved now.

When was the last time your 930 was recognized on the PC you are currently using, if ever?
About 6 weeks ago.
Was the 930 pretty well drained to the bottom for battery when you started this process?
Fully charged over night with 2A wall charger.
Connected to PC charging light is on.
With the 930 charged and connected, what happens if you use the reset pin to perform a hard reset?
It just switches off. After push button start boots up with TomTom logo and drum roll. If in the cradle it asks
Screen Shot 01-26-19 at 01.21 PM.JPG
Will not allow me to Operate my GO.
Screen Shot 01-26-19 at 01.14 PM.JPG
App 9.541 OS1493118 (2042, 12/11/2018)

For some weird reason it is fixed now.
Not only that, remember over a year ago, when the tech spent two half days to install the 2nd of my paid for quarterly updates he informed that the internal as corrupted and he installed the NAM map on the straight 4GB SDHC card. (I had tried a 8 GB micro SD but it would not read it.
Not only does Home2 tell me now that I have an update waiting (last 2 v995 installments?) but that the memory is insufficient and I can also now switch between both maps!

Glad the pin reset worked. Sounds like you are back in business.

Crazy part was that the screen print in post #8 is exactly what shows when the device is connected to the PC but before today there was no connecting sound, the 'H' and 'I' drives did not show in 'This PC' and Home still cannot 'Operate my GO', showing the error code above.

Additionally, the 'capture' file had disappeared from the 'screen' folder, not allowing screen prints.
2042.jpg

Ask a Question