720/730 920/930 Battery Replacement Tutorial - Discussion

Very nice ! Thank You !

I am new with GSP I pickup a 720 go refurbished and after I charged it for 4 hours it only showed 2/3 charged. I called tech service and had to send the unit in to them. I just got it back and they just swaped it out for a new one. I guess I scored.

I am new with GSP I pickup a 720 go refurbished and after I charged it for 4 hours it only showed 2/3 charged. I called tech service and had to send the unit in to them. I just got it back and they just swaped it out for a new one. I guess I scored.
Of interest, the thing that led me to replace my battery (and eventually to write the instructions) was that my unit died about 1 month after I purchased it last year. Refused to see a satellite. I sent it back to TT for service, and received what I am sure to have been a refurb'd unit in return. Battery life on the refurb'd unit was only about 1/2 what I'd come to expect from my new unit. Could have griped, and probably should have, but was just happy to be back in service. So a year down the road, and after using my TT with a USB battery backup to wander the streets in Lisbon one day, I got fed up and went looking for a battery again. Fortunately, somebody here pointed me to a correct (read: direct) replacment unit, the one mentioned in the instructions. Prior to that, I'd only seen "similar" packs designed for other equipment that had other connectors or odd wire counts. These could have been modified to suit, but many wouldn't know which end of a soldering iron to apply to swap the connectors after cutting them loose.

File in the first post is not working. Not right now anyways and I would love to take a look at this as my battery will only last about 10 min on a good day. Works great when its plugged in but other than that its toast. :(

If you would like I can host the file so its easy for everyone to get.

EDIT: Its working now so I got it. :) Very nice tutorial by the way.

Last edited:
How is the battery now?

I'm just curious how your new battery is doing now that it has been installed for about 6 months?

I'm just curious how your new battery is doing now that it has been installed for about 6 months?
Just fine. Getting the same kind of use/charge that I had with my new 720 before they shipped me the refurb. Original unit died (looked like the SiRFIII chip gave up), and the replacement they sent was a refurb whose battery wasn't as good as I'd have liked. That's what prompted the entire thing.

FYI: I check the site where the instructions are located periodically, and we're still good. Any outages should be of a transient nature.

Battery replacement instructions - XL720

I was very pleased to find these instructions for acquiring and installing a replacement battery in my XL720.

The instructions were complete and easy to follow - better even than the author thought, as evidenced by his/her totally unnecessary apology for the quality of some of the pictures.

I had to wait a few days for the battery to arrive (I found a Canadian battery supplier: Battery Buyer - Batterybuyer.com), but other than that, I spent a total of maybe 15 minutes disassembling the unit, replacing the battery, and putting it back together again.

I hope that others using this forum are as glad as I am that contributors like canderson sacrifice so much of their time to assist those of us who need it.

Many kudos and thanks!

Many thanks for sharing this. While I do not need to replace my battrey at this time, I do have a concern about the battery dying on me one of these days ( I have a refurbished also). I presume the battery is easily available otherwise I could buy now and keep it in stock!

So glad you have this post. I just called TomTom today regarding my battery not holding a charge and the response was - Sorry!. Actually I wasn't surprised as that is all I have ever heard from TomTom Support. Thank you so much for this site and your support. You guys are what make this product a success, otherwise I would have trashed it long ago.

I do not need that at the moment but your instructions were downloaded and saved in my computer's TomTom file for instant future access.
Thanks.
I had to wait a few days for the battery to arrive (I found a Canadian battery supplier: Battery Buyer - Batterybuyer.com), but other than that, I spent a total of maybe 15 minutes disassembling the unit, replacing the battery, and putting it back together again.
Thanks, I am very glad to have found the posts of you both.
Arno

Find at the link specified a full, gory and detailed explanation of where you can procure a battery for your 720/730 920/930 unit, and how to disassemble the unit and install the new battery.

If you find anything unclear about it, or have questions, feel free to ask here or PM me. Sorry about the quality of a couple of the photos -- I wasn't working with much light, so the depth of field wasn't what it could have been on some of the tight shots.

Since the owners of TTForums limit the size of *.doc files to 19.5K, and this file is 4.1M in size, I've tried to link to an offline storage site. Please advise if there are ever any problems with that link.

Click here -> TomTom GO x20.doc

Many thanks Canderson
great Post and instructions.
I believe this is what I need to do or at least I hope this will solve my problem.
My unit started not coming on without being pluged in to car/home charger but it finaly got to a point that it won't come on at all or should I sat it comes on but only a few seconds.
so I am abot to order a new battery and try your instructions.

I believe this thread is going to get a lot of attintion as the oridgenal X20's are all getting to that age where the batteries are failing.

Gary, don't know whether you are currently in the States or here in Canada but here is a link to a Canadian provider of batteries:
Battery Buyer - Batterybuyer.com

In truth, that unit mentioned on the Brit board is the one I would try to get if shipping to North america is not prohibitive.

Thanks David
I agree with you that would be a good external power supply if it works as good as they say
(up to 10 hrs)

Since I started looking for an external power supply my unit has almost died . IT was coming on before with it hooked to car or home charger. I tried a clear flash and reset and now the unit will only come on for a few seconds if I hold the on button it will give a screen with a lot on iinformation on it but only for a few seconds I believe this is the ( bootstrap ) file that might not be the corect word but it is two columns with about 10 or so lines of information.

My BIG question is has my unit become an expencive paper weight????

No that is my problem after I did clearflash and reset I can only get it to come on for a few seconds.
and not totaly boot up I even tried it with the applacation on the
8 gb sd card but no go.

Last edited:
I too was pleased about the play-by-play battery replacement article by Canderson and saved it on my computer should I have to replace the one on my 930.

Seeing Gary's post I re-read the instructions and then went on to the batteryship.com web site and found that they do specify different batteries for some of the GO models.

At GPS Batteries select TomTom GO 920 and the picture is like the article and it says it is for 920, 920T, XL330 and XL330S

Select 930 and it says it is for 530, 530 Live, 720, 730, 730T, 930, 930T, 940 Live, 740 Live and 630

Weird is that either of these show the same URL but, depending on what was last open either the 920 or the 930 page shows up: TomTom GO 920 Battery

Having seen Dave's Canadian reference, I checked there and here too there are two different batteries referenced.
For the 920 Batterybuyer.com
and for the 930 Batterybuyer.com

I just checked my tool kit and find the torx driver too big for the TomTom.
Buying the Canadian + screw diver kit is just about the same as getting the US with the kit included.
Cheers,
Arno

Ask a Question