3rd Edition Memory Addon Hack Disaster

I'm going to Australia to visit, but couldn't add the map becuase the one 3rd edition only has 1gb - not enough for USA and Auz. So (becuase I didn't know how easy it was to remove the USA map and put it back on later), I did the SD card addon hack at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/poppap/2466989322/in/set-72157604869913140/

Basically it bypasses the built in memory in favor of an SD card you solder onto the main board.

Except I should have used a low power sautering iron and I think I've fried something. The addon worked briefly until I screwed up the SD card messing with it, and then it wouldn't work at all.

So I removed the addon and put the TT back like it was to start with. Except now it just boots to the flashing red x. Yes, no OS, which is fixable if the device is recognized by windows or linux (yes, tried both). The drive shows up when connected to windows but is totally unresponsive. HP USB formatter says "no media inserted" when you try to format it by the drive letter.

So, the bottom line is - anybody know some extra special hack to get around this? Some way of testing the internal memory separately or anything like that?

Or perhaps a cheap place to get another main board to put in it?

Yes, I know, it's asking a lot, but you know what they say... if you don't ask....

Paul

My teeth are hurting!

Yep, my teeth are still hurting from already ordering that exact one yesterday.

Still, I wouldn't mind fixing this one, if it's fixable. I don't like breaking something and not being able to fix it.

Ask a Question