Tomtom GO 720 red x error

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Hi Guys
I've just received the GO 720 for ChristmaS and followed the manual to start up, configure and get it going. All OK.
I then connected it to my MacBook Pro and ran TomTom Home. All OK.
I copied over some music then ejected the unit. This is where the problem lies.
The screen remains with an image of the TomTom in it's cradle with an image of a Hard Drive bottom right and a flashing red X.
Despite resetting it, no joy.
Any ideas please?
Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Scott

Hi Scott,

The red X means the TomTom can't find the operating software to boot from. You did try to reset it and no luck? Perhaps put it back in its cradle, fire up HOME and try reinstalling the firmware? I would also use a file manager to make sure the map is still in internal memory. Keep us posted, we're here to help!

With the GPS connected to your computer and HOME running, choose "Explore". Now I've never had a problem like yours, so I'm really just guessing what to do next.... But at the top of the right hand column it should say Application and list "TomTom Application for GO520, GO720, GO920. Do you see that? If not then that's your problem. If it's there then it may be corrupted.

In the left column you should also see the same entry at the top. I *think* all you need to do is check the box next to this application and click the install button, which should copy the operating system back to your GPS.

As to your other question, "Is there a way of resetting the device to the factory settings it came with?"... does that mean the GPS is working again? If so then yes, it's very simple. Tap the screen then choose Change Preferences. Page through the preferences until you get to the last screen (page 8). The last item is Reset factory settings.

I'm wondering why you had the problem in the first place though. How did you eject the GPS after you copied the files to it? I use a dual G5 Mac myself with a 920T. After you hit the eject button in home, look at the GPS itself. You should see a blue progress bar going across the screen, then you should see the screen image normally seen when the GPS boots. If you remove the GPS from its cradle at this point you shouldn't have any problems. Or at least, that's what works for me :)

Merry Christmas to you - and everyone else - also!

Hi Boyd
Thanks for that.
The screen on the TomTom won't let me do anything but I can see the OS on the right hand column on Home, however, checking the OS on the left then clicking Update doesn't have any effect.

In that case then I think you'll need to delete the file from the GPS first, then home should be able to install the file. HOWEVER... I'm only guessing here, so you might want to get confirmation from someone else (like TomTom support) before proceeding.

Hey Scott, can you connect the TT to HOME ok? So you can browse what's on your device through HOME? Just curious if HOME tells you that you have the firmware and maps on the unit. If you are unable to do a reset, you'll be unable to "reset to factory settings" since that requires a functional unit to get to that screen.

I can indeed. I can send you a screenshot if you give me your address.
It allows me to delete from the TT but not to update from the computer
Scott

you can try the extra hard reset as follows

remove the sd card and press the reset button with a paperclip for at least 15secs
then power up keeping hold of the power button for again 15-20 secs then release and re- insert the sd card

if this works ok for you then you have been lucky, make a full backup with windows, if it don't work take it back to the store and plead innocence:rolleyes:

Tried the extra hard reset still not working Gods nows what has happened, TOMTOM what a load of sh*t. refund coming my way !!!!!

Glad it's not just me then! I'd rather be playing with my TomTom than watching reruns of Morecambe & Wise and Only Fools & Horses!
My wife bought me mines from Halfords who said at the time "should he have a problem then contact TomTom support first BEFORE returning it" Prophetic or do they know of existing issues?

Last edited:
In that case then I think you'll need to delete the file from the GPS first, then home should be able to install the file. HOWEVER... I'm only guessing here, so you might want to get confirmation from someone else (like TomTom support) before proceeding.

This worked for me. Make sure you have the new software on your local hard drive, though. It would also be a good idea to make a backup before deleting your system file.

Remove items from my GO -> Applications -> TomTom application

then

Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc. -> Items on my computer -> TomTom application

as always, YMMV, but this worked for me

We have a result!
After calling the helpline to find it was number unobtainable! I returned the unit to Halfords who called another helpline number. They took my e-mail address and when I returned home an e-mail was waiting with the following instructions which worked.
I now have a fully functioning TomTom! Thanks for the advice fellas:
:)

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

In this email you will find the solution for the error on your TomTom. This solution can be used in the following situations:

? The device hangs in the start screen (splash screen)
? An SD-card with a red cross is displayed on the screen
? A picture with a red dot and white cross is displayed
? The device can?t be turned off

If you haven't already done so, please download and Install TomTom Home from http://www.tomtom.com/7602

If you don?t have a full backup of your TomTom yet we advise you to make one before continuing with the steps in this email. You can make a backup by following the steps below:

1. Reset your TomTom device: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 and connect it to your computer.
2. Click on 'Backup and Restore -> Backup' in TomTom Home 2.0
3. Enter a name for the backup and click [OK]
? IMPORTANT: When the software is asking to delete parts from the backup click [NO]

After the backup is made you delete the files from the root directory of the TomTom. Follow the steps below to do this:

1. Reset your TomTom device: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 and connect it to your computer.
2. Open My Computer in Windows, or Finder in Macintosh from your desktop and turn on your TomTom device.
3. On your screen a new removable disk appears, this is your TomTom device, click on the disk to open it.
4. You will see a list of folders and a list of loose files
5. Delete all of the loose files. IMPORTANT: The folders with their content must NOT be deleted.
5. Close the window when all files are deleted by clicking on the [x].

Next we will reinstall the application via TomTom HOME.

1. Start TomTom HOME on your computer
? TomTom Home should automatically check for updates and prompt you to install them, if not:-
2. Click on 'Update my device'. If you get the message 'No Items Available', or there is not an application to download, click on 'Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc -> Items on my computer', select the application and click on 'Add'.
3. Select the Application update.
4. Click on 'Device -> Disconnect Device', then turn off your device when it is done installing and disconnect it from your computer.
5. On a PC, in the System Tray by the computer clock, click on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon and disconnect the TomTom also in this way.

When switching on the device it should boot as normal again.

Hey, all. I have the same problem described here. The worst part of it is that the pc won't recognize it and the removable drives that appear in My Computer (Windows XP) can't be accessed because it says it is empty. This make the solution that the Tomtom suggests impossible. When I connect it in the USB base and turn it on, it won't ask if I want to connect it to the pc. It just shows a white/green screen with an image of my Tomtom in the base :confused: and nothing happens!! :mad:

Any new ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Ask a Question