GO910 Disassembly Guide

TomTom Model(s)
I have created a Dismantling Guide in PDF for a Go910 with lots of photos and detailed instructions. It also contains close-up photos showing model and type of the replaceable components. :D Unfortunately it is 1.3MB in size and can't upload it here. :( I therefore ask moderators for help on uploading. I'm sure it would also benefit any X10 user.

I won't be replying to individuals for a copy until.:eek:

Merry Christmas to all ;)

Thanks for the complement and thanks to skinny420 for hosting it. I like my 910 but I'm looking at the possibility modifying the whole thing physically since it's quite bulky, and the frame being made of cast aluminum is quite heavy.

Thanks for your excellent guide.

My battery just isn't holding a charge (about 10 seconds if mains charged, zero seconds if car charged. I got a new battery off e-bay and had a look inside my 910, had an idea the screen had to come off, but not all the pcb's, hard drive, and speaker to gain access.

Step by step clear instructions (and warnings) - I'm now feel confident to do this myself.

I guess we are supposed to "return to TomTom" for replacements (probably at about the cost of a new GPS anyway).

Thanks for your excellent guide.

My battery just isn't holding a charge (about 10 seconds if mains charged, zero seconds if car charged. I got a new battery off e-bay and had a look inside my 910, had an idea the screen had to come off, but not all the pcb's, hard drive, and speaker to gain access.

Step by step clear instructions (and warnings) - I'm now feel confident to do this myself.

I guess we are supposed to "return to TomTom" for replacements (probably at about the cost of a new GPS anyway).

No you are not - they won't touch a 910 anymore - but they will off you a "customer loyalty" discount of $50-100 dollars (depending which unit you want to buy) from their full priced online store.

With that "discount", you will still end up paying more then quite a number of other third party sources. If they gave a certificate that was good at third party vendors - that would actually mean something.

If you can keep your unit going with the new battery - do so - it is much better built then the new devices. And if you want a new unit anyway for some new features, you will have a working used 910 that you can sell on eBay - so fix it.

Great guide, it helped me to replace my original hard drive Toshiba MK2008GAK (20GB) for new one 80GB Toshiba MK8025GAL.

Need connector!

Thanks very much for this. I'm not much of a hardware guy so I printed out this document and gave it to a co-worker, who successfully replaced my battery.

However, while opening the unit, the ZIF connector that holds the ribbon cable that drives the LCD screen was broken and immediately fell apart.

We're having zero luck finding a replacement for this connector. Can anyone tell me what this connector is so that I can start searching via Google or eBay or whatever? The unit now works - except for the screen. D'OH!

910 Battery replacement

Replaced the battery in my 910 today. Took about 45 mins. Had to crawl around on my hands and knees about 6 times looking for dropped screws. Did not have to remove front face from gps. Put it in home dock and operated from Tomtom hom, appeared to have normal operation so removed from dock and turned on in my hands,(something I hadn't been able to do.) Success. Battery only about 1/2 charged so I have it charging in the home dock. Now if I can get automatic start up when plugging into car power and the 6 second count down to shut off when power lost I'll be completely back to normal. The PDF on teardown was a great help.

Ask a Question