Upload raster or vector property maps?

I'm using the same naming convention that TomTom uses on the pre-installed (lousy) satellite images; not sure if this is required or not but I built an excel spreadsheet which creates the filename and contents based on the lat/long and I copy/paste that into my text editor.

These images don't have anything to do with the manage maps commands, they are supplemental to whatever map folder you place them in. You enable them in the Browse Maps screen using the Options button to show images. Here's a sample file named usae01_-07445,03950.sat from the US Maps folder on my TomTom:

-

This references a jpeg image of the same name with pixel dimensions 1840x1010. I suggest testing your raster maps with an image near your own geographic location because it can be difficult to get the TomTom to display maps from another country in my experience. Your mileage may vary, but it works for me.

Heh, I have since moved way past all this however. There are two problems with using these alternative maps on the TomTom. First, the unit just doesn't work properly at walking speeds. And second, the map won't scroll as you move. A little research led me to OziExplorerCE which is a compact version of the PC program designed to run on handhelds under Windows CE (http://www.oziexplorer3.com/ozice/oziexplorerce1.html). For starters I got this running on an unlocked Mio c520:

ozi02.jpg

But now I've moved on to a similar setup on an HP iPAQ 310 because of the spectacular 800x480 screen:

ipaq01.jpg

TomTom had the right idea with the raster maps, but OziCE really gets it right (although at the expense of some user-friendliness).

Last edited:

Ask a Question